Positive wheat allergy through skin prick test?

Options
I'm just curious if anyone else has tested positive for a wheat allergy through the skin prick testing? And if you stopped eating wheat because of it? I tested positive for it, but I've never really had problems with wheat that I know of. I'm not sure how I'd feel physically without it because I've eaten wheat all of my life. I'm not sure whether to eliminate it from my diet. I don't have celiac disease, just tested positive to wheat on the skin prick test. The doctor I went to didn't seem overly concerned that I eliminated it. If anyone has had a similar situation I'd love to hear from you.

Replies

• mlindahl
    mlindahl Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I too just found out a week ago I have a wheat and milk allergy through the skin prick test. My mom is also allergic to Wheat. She avoids all gluten from her diet because of her past issues with her colon and celiac arteries. etc. Not sure if related or not. We have both been tested for celiac disease and tested negative. I was always told I had IBS. My stomach will bloat and will have "funky" stools (not wanting to share all) and cramping. Sinus and headaches too. Until my mom tested herself and says she is feeling a lot better, I thought just my IBS kicking in again. I also thought my symptoms were related more to my menstrual cycle. I am cutting out wheat first for a month and see how that goes. I cut out unprocessed milk from my diet at this point. I know there is a difference between an allergy, intolerance and celiac disease. Just wondering if others with just a wheat allergy have the bloating and cramping. Thanks!
  • I'm just curious if anyone else has tested positive for a wheat allergy through the skin prick testing? And if you stopped eating wheat because of it? I tested positive for it, but I've never really had problems with wheat that I know of. I'm not sure how I'd feel physically without it because I've eaten wheat all of my life. I'm not sure whether to eliminate it from my diet. I don't have celiac disease, just tested positive to wheat on the skin prick test. The doctor I went to didn't seem overly concerned that I eliminated it. If anyone has had a similar situation I'd love to hear from you.

I've known for years that I am very allergic to wheat (i get horrible migraines.) Out of curiosity i got a skin pricking test just to see what else I might be allergic to. The testing only confirmed that I am allergic to cats too (I knew that) but also showed that I was super allergic to grass. And grass being....related to wheat....it was a lightbulb moment for me. Of COURSE I'd be allergic to grass too.

To find out if you have a food allergy -- including one of wheat -- you need to go on an elimination diet. I did years ago using a book called The Simple Diet. I didn't expect ANYTHING to come of it and yet low and behold. Wheat had been giving me the migraines I had all my life. It was shocking but amazing to learn.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i tested positive with the skin prick test around 5 years ago. at that time the symptoms weren't as quick as i have now but might be because the more i eat it the more my body recognizes as something i shouldn't have in me or on me.

i dont get intestinal issues, my symptoms are potentially more serious since i eventually break into hives and develop breathing issues from the hives occurring on my face and neck that result in throat constrictions which leads to coughing and wheezing

if you dont have an issue with it then there really is no need to eliminate it, especially since if you dont have an issue odds are you arent completely eliminating it anyway. that's because wheat is is far more things than most people realize besides bread and pasta (like those condiments and salad dressings? they probably have wheat in them. that shampoo/conditioner you use probably has wheat in it)
  • mlindahl
    mlindahl Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Okay, Dr. Tom had a gluten summit and had many doctors and other health professionals videotaped and also could get a written report. Very interesting information for not just celiacs but also those with possible gluten sensitivities or wheat allergies and the multitude of symptoms and problems with gluten. I have now realized that my occasional rashes on my neck and arms are caused either by wheat or milk. I still eat cheese and yogurt and think mine main problem for the rash is if I accidentally have wheat and dairy at the same time.
  • dbritt07
    dbritt07 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I tested positive to wheat through an actual blood test. I was having a hard time losing weight and what I discovered was if you have a wheat allergy your system stays "inflamed" - wheat is an inflammatory which can cause people to struggle with weight loss and not from just the added calories but it wreaks havoc on your blood sugar levels causing a constant state of inflammation.

I am not allergic to gluten however and a lot of people think they are one and the same thing. They aren't. For example, I can have other grains if I wanted that have gluten in them. Wheat just happens to have gluten so processed gluten free foods don't have wheat. It's kind of confusing but I think I have it figured out now. That also led to leaving sugar behind. I think the biggest mistake people have that cut wheat out is they add the processed gluten free foods to their diet which in most cases are not good either. They contain a lot of potato starch and sometimes sugar depending on what you are buying which also has a negative impact on blood sugar, spiking it just like wheat does.

I've lost 20 pounds in the last month by eliminating just wheat. It's just grass that is processed and ground up basically. You can show no typical signs of a wheat allergy by the way and still be intolerant or allergic to it. I did have symptoms but I never connected the dots. Bad abdominal bloating and I know this because on one day (since I stopped eating wheat)I had regular pizza and bloated so badly I was sick from it. I haven't touched it since!
  • cricketannie
    cricketannie Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I tested positive for wheat, soy, and peanuts. I already knew I am allergic to fish. Cutting those things out of my diet has been wonderful. Finding foods to eat is a little frustrating, but now that I know what to look for, and what I can/can't have my life is tons better. I have lost weight, and feel so much better. No more rashes and headaches. If you have the allergy,cut the foods out! Your body will thank you.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Yes, I tested positive. I tested positive for every single thing. There literally was not a single one they tested for that didn't show up as me being allergic to it.

No, I didn't cut wheat. I didn't cut a single thing that I didn't have to cut because it made me sick or made my moth/throat swell or itch.

I changed absolutely nothing because of the tests. I thought they were ridiculous and served no purpose. I already knew what I couldn't eat.

That was quite a while back. Today's tests might be more accurate,
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious if anyone else has tested positive for a wheat allergy through the skin prick testing? And if you stopped eating wheat because of it? I tested positive for it, but I've never really had problems with wheat that I know of. I'm not sure how I'd feel physically without it because I've eaten wheat all of my life. I'm not sure whether to eliminate it from my diet. I don't have celiac disease, just tested positive to wheat on the skin prick test. The doctor I went to didn't seem overly concerned that I eliminated it. If anyone has had a similar situation I'd love to hear from you.

I've known for years that I am very allergic to wheat (i get horrible migraines.) Out of curiosity i got a skin pricking test just to see what else I might be allergic to. The testing only confirmed that I am allergic to cats too (I knew that) but also showed that I was super allergic to grass. And grass being....related to wheat....it was a lightbulb moment for me. Of COURSE I'd be allergic to grass too.

To find out if you have a food allergy -- including one of wheat -- you need to go on an elimination diet. I did years ago using a book called The Simple Diet. I didn't expect ANYTHING to come of it and yet low and behold. Wheat had been giving me the migraines I had all my life. It was shocking but amazing to learn.

This gives me something to think about. I have had digestive issues for the last 20 years or so and the cause has never been determined after several colon/endoscopies, allergy testing, etc. I've been told it's IBS by one doctor then no it isn't by another. Another said it's colitis and another said it isn't that either. And so on. It is mostly controlled with medication but I have to take 4 pills per day (every 6 hours) and I'm apt to miss the ones in the middle of the day and still suffer flare ups even when I'm taking them regularly.

I AM allergic to several types of grass but tested negative for Celiac. Unfortunately, they didn't specifically test me for wheat in the allergy test so I don't know for certain I'm allergic to it but it might be worth my while to cut it out for a few weeks and see if there's any improvement in my condition. It's just not an easy thing to do, is it?
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    False positives are extremely common, regardless of the method of allergy testing used. You need to go through an additional food challenge test to confirm whether or not you have it.

Yup. Generally an allergist will use blood+skin tests and from there determine if you qualify for a food challenge.

My son has multiple allergies, and he qualified for an egg test with low skin prick response and negative blood tests. Interestingly, he has tested negative on a blood test for peanuts but has a positive skin response, so we're assuming he's allergic until he's older and able to express if he doesn't feel right during a food challenge (he's only 2, so the allergist wants him to be 3ish so he can say "hey, my throat itches/I feel weird/etc"). We're hopeful, because he passed his egg challenge with no issues.

The point is, if you eat wheat fine but skin tests show an allergy, I'd ask for a challenge (or do an elimination and see if it changes anything). But it's entirely possible to test positive for an allergy and not actually be allergic, because your skin response isn't the same as what happens when food hits your digestive system.