Adding strength training - Where to begin?

Options
I run 3 days a week and now looking to add strength training to the mix. I am female and have a bulky upper body mostly on my back and shoulders. I have skinny legs though. I'm looking to even my body out as I lose weight. I want to tone upper and build up my lower.

I am looking for some suggestions on where to start with minimal equipment. Would squats be sufficient? I have a total gym for my upper. Do I keep it to high repetitions? Do I keep it to 2 days a week or 3? Any recommended apps for creating such a workout routine?

Replies

• GlenzioFitness
    GlenzioFitness Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Look up 5x5 routines
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    • New Rules of Lifting For Women
    • Strong Curves
    • ICF 5x5
    • StrongLifts 5x5

All of these programs have guides to do the movements. It's also worth checking YouTube videos for thorough guides on how to do the compound movements.
    • 0.6-0.8g of protein per lb of body mass
    • 0.4-0.45g of fat per lb of body mass
    • fill rest of calories with carbs
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I have the same suggestions for programs; they are good ones. A little advice... If you're running, you'll probably want to do leg work after your runs; either directly after or a few hours later. I am currently running in the morning before work (it's too hot in the afternoons) and I tend to do my legs on the same afternoon after work. If I lift in the afternoon and run the next morning my legs feel much more tired.