some people *vent*

Options
im writing this her not only for support but because im hoping that some of you have dealt with the same thing...

yesterday i went on a 3 mile walk/jog...when i got back i went next door to see my neighbor because i had missed the raiders game (shes a fan and i was supposed to be there but she disappeared before hand so i didnt go) and i wanted to know the final score...she and a 14 year old teenage girl started on me about why i went out...i told them i was trying to lose the weight that i gained..."you should diet"...i am dieting..."well you burn more calories if you're warmer, you should bundle up (in 90 degree weather) because you will sweat more"...no thats not how it works, sweating just means you are warm, the weight you do lose (if you lose) is water weight that is gained back by drinking and i always carry a water bottle with me when i go out, its a calories in calories out thing..."well that doesnt make sense"...excuse me! these are two people who have never had to try to lose weight...my neighbor is (and always has been) tall and skinny and can basically eat what she wants...the teenager is just that...a teenager...what they said shouldnt matter but it really rubbed me the wrong way how people think they know exactly what i should be doing with my body...ive been back on my diet for a little over two weeks (was on it almost a year and then maintained a year but started stress eating earlier this year due to many bad events)...anybody else have someone who thinks they *know* whats best for you?

Replies

• boricua3177
    boricua3177 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    All the time. I just don't talk about weight loss at all with them. When they try to offer advice, I just say "OK" & keep it moving.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    ANHmommy wrote: »
    anybody else have someone who thinks they *know* whats best for you?

So, so many. And a lot of people who have never had food issues in their life telling me that I "just need to stop when I feel full." Well, duh, but that's not as easy as it sounds for someone who has spent the first few decades of their life not doing that.

To be honest though, I am this person quite often. I have one friend who thinks foam fighting every other weekend, without cutting calories, is enough of a change to lose 35 lbs, and another who keeps failing on Keto over and over and over and over again. Sometimes, I have to zip my lips because I don't want them to get sick of me. :P
  • sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    First off, argueing with a teenager is like trying to nail jello to a tree. I have 2, and I have to say even if they were comfortable with someone they better not talk to an adult (besides me lol) like that EVER! so disrespectful.

2nd, talking to know-it-alls about weight loss or healthy lifestyle or basically anyone that isn't on this journey is an adventure to say the least. It doesn't matter if you've lost 100, they have a BETTER IDEA, or YOU DID IT ALL WRONG. Morons. Either have a snappy comeback ready, laugh like that's the dumbest thing you've ever heard, or nod and basically ignore.

Remember, you got this, shake it off and Raiders lost 13 to 33, sorry.....
  • megan_parker89
    megan_parker89 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes I do.. my mother is the same way..mind you she is alot larger than me and were im actually trying to do something to better myself and become healthy and comfortable with myself she is doing nothing but '' you no you can't eat that.. Why aren't you doing this instead of that..
    Are you really gunna were that its not helping you...and it goes on and on and on.. The part that makes me so made is that she should be doing something to help her self instead of huffing and puffing every time she gets up..and always saying that she needs to go on a diet as she stuffs her mouth with a hole sleeve of crackers and then say I can't believe I ate all that... And the best part is im doing my weight loss journey life style change with a partner my aunt and instead of encouraging us she talks trash about my aunt ... So I feel your pain
  • ANHmommy
    ANHmommy Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    i know i should let it roll off me like water...people just being ignorant i suppose
  • CallieG205
    CallieG205 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Ohhhhhhh people make me CRAZY!!! That sweat thing n particular. I have people in my spin class who judge because I want a fan on. Hello-you sweat more, you drink more. Sweating profusely is not going to make anyone lose weight faster, just dehydrate faster!
  • duckijo
    duckijo Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    There are so many people who offer advice. My teenage son is one... He has dropped 10 pounds doing football, and eats what ever he wants.

So he tells me just work out more... Yes, because getting up at 4 am to do 40 mins of elliptical, get dressed, get him and his sister ready for school, then drive 1 hour to work, work 9 hours, drive 1 hour home and take them all to football, soccer, swim and marching band, leaves me plenty of time to work out.

• dinosaurparty
    dinosaurparty Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Haha I get this all the time. Thankfully my SO and I are on the same page about diet/exercise, but (literally) everyone I work with have formed an anti-sugar brigade.

I mostly tune it out :) they have their diet plans and I have mine.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,193 Member
    Options
    ANHmommy wrote: »
    when i got back i went next door to see my neighbor because i had missed the raiders game (shes a fan and i was supposed to be there but she disappeared before hand so i didnt go) and i wanted to know the final score

Next time ... look up the score online. :)