Supportive Friends Needed Desperately

Options
Hi.

I'm in need of a few supportive friends to keep me accountable and I'd love to be able to offer support as well.

I'm 38, mother of 3, work full time, work out every morning, can't get away from overeating to relieve stress, mostly at night.

If you would like to help me, and I'll try to help you, and you are in a similar situation, I'd love to be your friend.

THANKS!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• mare91467
    mare91467 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I am a stress eater too. I am also a full time working mom. I find that working out in the evening helps me curb the snacking at night. Friend me!
  • run_momma_run
    Options
    Added!! :)
  • alison2429
    alison2429 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Hi there
    Have a look at my profile and add me if you would like to. Happy to motivate you if you think I can help.
    You can do this!!

Alison
    :flowerforyou:
  • stephaniezoundi
    stephaniezoundi Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    added!
  • beckusjane
    beckusjane Posts: 112
    Options
    You may have already seen this message. I put it as a blog on my page. I truly think this helps when people feel like they are stuck and not sure what to do to continue. I dont want you to give up. I KNOW you can do this:) I also know there is strength in numbers so feel free to message me anytime if you are having issues throughout the day. I can check in daily with you if you would like:)

Just so you know, this may turn into a novel:) And dont go strictly by any of this. What works for one person may not work for someone else. We did a "Get Fit, Get Healthy" challenge at my work for 8 weeks. I lost about 22 lbs. and 5% of my body fat. We had to do certain things to get points for the challenge. These are the things we needed to do:

*64 oz. of water each day. This does not include coffee, juices or kool-aid. Now you can have 64 oz. + juices but you must drink 64 oz. When you do drink juices, they have to be 100% juice. Easy enough right? Grape juice, apple juice, orange juice. Tomato juice too but the sodium is ridiculous in it. I'm sure if you want some of that it would be ok for a change. Just dont make it your only juice.

*7 hours or more of sleep. This can be hard if you have small children or just a hectic schedule. If you are able to lie down for a nap during the day, you can count that, but it is much better if you can get 7 hrs straight.

*Eat breakfast within 2 hrs of waking up. This is a hard one. Some people just cant stand eating first thing in the morning. I usually grab something quick like an apple or a banana.

*5 servings of fruits/veggies a day. Pretty straight forward. Again this is where your juices come in. You can use 4 oz. of fruit juice as a serving of fruit. For the record, jelly beans are not a fruit even if they are fruit flavored. :)

* 210 minutes of cardio a week. Now you can get this walking, biking, swimming, yardwork (raking and push mowing count) snow shoveling is a BIG one but obviously it will be a few months til we can do that again and I dont mind a bit!! Now it doesnt matter how you break this down as long as you do a minimum of 10 minutes for any time you are counting it. You can do more than 210 minutes of course if your schedule allows.

*Toning with free weights or stretch bands 3 times a week for 10 minutes a piece. You can definitely do more than 3 times. That is only the minimum. Sometimes I will use my free weight and incorporate them into my aerobic routines.

That's it. Those are the simple rules I am following and the weight is coming off. You dont want it to fall off all at once. If it does, then you're doing something drastic and the chances of sticking with it are slim. Working it off slowly is the best ticket. Making small changes makes it easier to become lifestyle changes not temporary fixes.

Also, I tend to stay away from white flour. You can eat breads, potatoes and pasta in moderate amounts but it is much better for you if you eat whole wheat breads and pastas or sweet potatoes. Dont get worried about the fact that there are about as many carbs in whole wheat pasta as there is in the regular. It's better for you~trust me!!

Another trick that helps? If you have time, measure out a serving of your snacks. Use ziplock baggies and have them ready to grab and go. I usually have pretzels, animal crackers stuff like that ready so that I dont have to think about it. If I just try to sit with a bag of pretzels, pretty soon Ive eaten half the bag but if I have a true serving size packaged, I know when to stop.

If the idea of this process is overwhelming, dont try to change everything at once. Maybe work on 5 fruits/veggies and once you have that figured out, then try 64 oz of water. Keep adding a step to it til you are on your way to healthier choices.

I am willing to check in with you everyday if that is what you like. Dont feel like it is accountability. Once you realize that it is a chance to telll your victories of the day, it becomes something you look forward to. And the victories can be small or HUGE. Either way, the more you see that food isnt going to control you anymore, the easier the snowball effect goes the other way. You can overcome this! I promise:)

Good luck. Hope this helps:)

Becca
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Wow ... pretty close to me ,,, 40, full time job. Full time single mom of 3. And student trying to get my bachelor's degree at a reputable online college ... in a band too (with performances throughout the season to coordinate into everything else). I like to work out in the morning most of the time because it is the coolest time of day in the summer and the bugs aren't out yet. Also like to watch the sunrise while I am out walking or bicycling.
    AND it's the only time I can safely get out of the house since the kids are still sleeping and not trying to get me to do something or other for them. (Luckily my kids are older now and a little more self-sufficient :)
    Definitely throw me an add and I will help the best I can.
  • MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    I just added you.:happy:
  • IggyL
    IggyL Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    added :)
  • Nessiep
    Nessiep Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    hi added you hon its tough going so im here :flowerforyou:
  • keepitoff99
    keepitoff99 Posts: 117
    Options
    I am a stress eater too. I am also a full time working mom. I find that working out in the evening helps me curb the snacking at night. Friend me!
    Added you! Thanks
  • keepitoff99
    Options
    Wow ... pretty close to me ,,, 40, full time job. Full time single mom of 3. And student trying to get my bachelor's degree at a reputable online college ... in a band too (with performances throughout the season to coordinate into everything else). I like to work out in the morning most of the time because it is the coolest time of day in the summer and the bugs aren't out yet. Also like to watch the sunrise while I am out walking or bicycling.
    AND it's the only time I can safely get out of the house since the kids are still sleeping and not trying to get me to do something or other for them. (Luckily my kids are older now and a little more self-sufficient :)
    Definitely throw me an add and I will help the best I can.
    Wow, You sound so much like me, except I work out on the treadmill and elliptical and rollerblade at night when I can. I also am pursuing my education online which is a struggle with working full time but important! I could use your support and I'll offer help for you where I can.
  • CreativeSunflower
    CreativeSunflower Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am too an emotional eater, All day I do good, but by the time I get home and start with supper and the house choirs with kids, the husband on the couch watching TV... I eat out of control while making supper and then at night when I wine down. ( sorry if I do mistakes I'm french).
  • keepitoff99
    Options
    Thanks for adding me to your friend list guys. One thing I didn't mention is that I'm married - someone commented that they weren't single and I realized i didn't mention that - 16 years June 3rd! I am feeling good to go this week so thanks for all the support!!
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I am a stress eater, but realising now that I'm trying to maintain, that one of those stresses was unnecessary hunger! By trying to be too good, I'd end up being 'bad'.
  • keepitoff99
    Options
    I am too an emotional eater, All day I do good, but by the time I get home and start with supper and the house choirs with kids, the husband on the couch watching TV... I eat out of control while making supper and then at night when I wine down. ( sorry if I do mistakes I'm french).
    I hear ya! It gets to be a habit and unless I do it, i feel unfulfilled. I'm thinking one week at a time right now and I'm not going to do it this week. We were at a BBQ today and my husband brought home a whole load of the desserts....you know this kind...so I unpacked them and resisted...and I refuse to give in - I had a nibble this afternoon but that was it.
  • hillview2
    hillview2 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    You may have already seen this message. I put it as a blog on my page. I truly think this helps when people feel like they are stuck and not sure what to do to continue. I dont want you to give up. I KNOW you can do this:) I also know there is strength in numbers so feel free to message me anytime if you are having issues throughout the day. I can check in daily with you if you would like:)

Just so you know, this may turn into a novel:) And dont go strictly by any of this. What works for one person may not work for someone else. We did a "Get Fit, Get Healthy" challenge at my work for 8 weeks. I lost about 22 lbs. and 5% of my body fat. We had to do certain things to get points for the challenge. These are the things we needed to do:

*64 oz. of water each day. This does not include coffee, juices or kool-aid. Now you can have 64 oz. + juices but you must drink 64 oz. When you do drink juices, they have to be 100% juice. Easy enough right? Grape juice, apple juice, orange juice. Tomato juice too but the sodium is ridiculous in it. I'm sure if you want some of that it would be ok for a change. Just dont make it your only juice.

*7 hours or more of sleep. This can be hard if you have small children or just a hectic schedule. If you are able to lie down for a nap during the day, you can count that, but it is much better if you can get 7 hrs straight.

*Eat breakfast within 2 hrs of waking up. This is a hard one. Some people just cant stand eating first thing in the morning. I usually grab something quick like an apple or a banana.

*5 servings of fruits/veggies a day. Pretty straight forward. Again this is where your juices come in. You can use 4 oz. of fruit juice as a serving of fruit. For the record, jelly beans are not a fruit even if they are fruit flavored. :)

* 210 minutes of cardio a week. Now you can get this walking, biking, swimming, yardwork (raking and push mowing count) snow shoveling is a BIG one but obviously it will be a few months til we can do that again and I dont mind a bit!! Now it doesnt matter how you break this down as long as you do a minimum of 10 minutes for any time you are counting it. You can do more than 210 minutes of course if your schedule allows.

*Toning with free weights or stretch bands 3 times a week for 10 minutes a piece. You can definitely do more than 3 times. That is only the minimum. Sometimes I will use my free weight and incorporate them into my aerobic routines.

That's it. Those are the simple rules I am following and the weight is coming off. You dont want it to fall off all at once. If it does, then you're doing something drastic and the chances of sticking with it are slim. Working it off slowly is the best ticket. Making small changes makes it easier to become lifestyle changes not temporary fixes.

Also, I tend to stay away from white flour. You can eat breads, potatoes and pasta in moderate amounts but it is much better for you if you eat whole wheat breads and pastas or sweet potatoes. Dont get worried about the fact that there are about as many carbs in whole wheat pasta as there is in the regular. It's better for you~trust me!!

Another trick that helps? If you have time, measure out a serving of your snacks. Use ziplock baggies and have them ready to grab and go. I usually have pretzels, animal crackers stuff like that ready so that I dont have to think about it. If I just try to sit with a bag of pretzels, pretty soon Ive eaten half the bag but if I have a true serving size packaged, I know when to stop.

If the idea of this process is overwhelming, dont try to change everything at once. Maybe work on 5 fruits/veggies and once you have that figured out, then try 64 oz of water. Keep adding a step to it til you are on your way to healthier choices.

I am willing to check in with you everyday if that is what you like. Dont feel like it is accountability. Once you realize that it is a chance to telll your victories of the day, it becomes something you look forward to. And the victories can be small or HUGE. Either way, the more you see that food isnt going to control you anymore, the easier the snowball effect goes the other way. You can overcome this! I promise:)

Good luck. Hope this helps:)

Becca

Wow this is excellent -- I've been following most of this and it is so true! Nice work!
  • redsoxy
    redsoxy Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I think alot of us are in the same boat! I'm a full time working mom (work overnight) and work out every day before work. I"ll send you a friend request now!