Being in my 40's is kicking my bitty!

Options
I am trying to maintain, and likely lose a little bit, but have never dieted before. I never HAD to before, but as I'm getting older it's just not the same. Hope that tracking calories will help, as well as sharing progress and exercise motivation!!

Replies

• Vcorz
    Vcorz Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    It IS rough getting older....I was 135 pounds at age 35, and 4 years later I'm 205, at 5'9.....it just all changes!
  • tmsix
    tmsix Posts: 21 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I'm nearly 41. Your post made me reflect on my weight through the decades:

0-10 normal I guess, was never aware of my weight, I was slim though.
    11-20 underweight, grew fast to 198cm and couldn't eat enough, enormous appetite, got comments like "Are you eating enough?".
    20-30 Beer and an office job increased my weight until mid 20's when I had my first child so became more active but was always technically overweight.
    30-40 Same as previously with an increasingly unhealthy life style due to being busy with 4 kids and a business lunch everyday and takeaways at night but at 37 and 40 looming I had a mid-life crisis and got to ideal weight, was cycling 14 miles+ daily plus gym, weights and dog walks very fit and strong with a good diet. Gave up cigs and alcohol for a substantial time.
    40+ wow, going downhill rapidly again after another change of lifestyle. Thought I would be fit for life but feel like I'm 70 years old compared with only 2 years ago.

Highest adult weight 250lb / 115kg
    Lowest adult weight 190lb / 85kg (near ideal, I am tall!)
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I hope MFP is useful for you - Tracking is definitely a great way to keep an eye on things.
    Wishing the best of luck.
  • Matt200goal
    Matt200goal Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Yep - getting old(er) stinks, but it sure beats the alternative. I'm 43 and it certainly isn't the same as my 20s & 30s.

& Welcome to MFP!
  • Dray222
    Dray222 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I turned 40 this year and noticed the lbs creeping back up. I didn't want to believe age would make such a difference, but it's just not as easy to lose as it was a few years ago. I'm also hoping tracking calories will help give me the boost I need to reach my goals. Good luck to you!