Having trouble meeting my calorie goal (under)

Options
Hi everyone!

So I've been tracking my diet for a few days now, I'm trying to lose weight so I'm restricting myself to 1,200 calories a day with macros of 35% fat, 25% carbs and 40% protein.
I eat around 110g of protein to reach my goal and hit my other macros but for some reason I'm having a lot of trouble reaching to 1,000 calories. I either don't have an appetite or my meals keep me full for a long time causing me to skip a meal or snack. I've been trying to go over my usual 950 calories... Any suggestions on how I can incorporate more calories in my diet without going over macros too much?

Suggestions are appreciated.
Thank y'all.
Xo

Replies

• Matt200goal
    Matt200goal Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Can try some calorie dense foods (mostly fat, but the "good fat" as far as I've heard) like almonds or avocado
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Also, are you sure of the calories you're eating?
    Are you weighing all your solid foods on a digital scale?
    Are you measuring all your caloric liquids in proper measuring cups/spoons?
    If you're so full, you may be eating more than you think.
  • biancapenaxo
    biancapenaxo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Also, are you sure of the calories you're eating?
    Are you weighing all your solid foods on a digital scale?
    Are you measuring all your caloric liquids in proper measuring cups/spoons?
    If you're so full, you may be eating more than you think.

I am pretty new to logging in food but I've been double checking my measurements in grams on a food scale (would it make a difference if it was in cups?)
    Oh, I forgot to add in a pretty important factor: I'm prescribed Adderall, which diminishes my appetite whenever I take it (Monday-Thursday). I tend to eat all my calories on the weekend!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    open your diary

eat peanut butter
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    At first I went through the same thing, ( it didn't last long though. My appetite returned shortly ) anyway, here's what worked for me- if I was seriously under like you are ( your going to lose muscle mass by undereating so to help minimize that its important to really try to eat as much as possible while still losing and, start a strength training regimen )then I would force myself to have something small but calorie dense. Like peanut butter. You can eat 4 large spoons for @ 400 cals and that will bring your cals up some.

Its very important to use a food scale for everything you consume . don't eyeball portions, weigh all your solids on the scale and log them here accurately. Accuracy will be very important during this process.

Best of luck to you !
  • Jackson2348
    Jackson2348 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Your math is off. 40% of 1200 is 480 calories, which would be 120 grams of protein, not 110. To keep your macros where you've set them, you'd need 300 calories of carbs, or 75 grams, and 390 calories of fat, or 33.3 grams. If you only get 110 grams of protein, and try to eat exact fat and carbs proportionate to 110 grams (440 calories) you'll def be under 1200 calories.
  • vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, hummus, yogurt... There's tons of things that can bolster cals. I honestly love looking up new recipes, but I'm not incredibly focused on macros more than calories right now. My fiance is, however, so whatever he doesn't get he makes up for in his nightly snack.

Having an open diary does help us help you though. :)
  • biancapenaxo
    Options
    Peanut butter, hummus, yogurt... There's tons of things that can bolster cals. I honestly love looking up new recipes, but I'm not incredibly focused on macros more than calories right now. My fiance is, however, so whatever he doesn't get he makes up for in his nightly snack.

Thank you! I have made my diary public if there are any more suggestions or reccommendations!
  • tmsix
    tmsix Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Apple with cheese and biscuit underneath always does it for me.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Thank you! I have made my diary public if there are any more suggestions or reccommendations!

Do try to weigh everything and log it by weight if you can. There are a lot of things in your diary logged by cup or piece. Those are going to be less accurate than weight and those little inaccuracies can add up throughout the day.

The first thing I'd suggest to increase your calories is to use whole eggs, full-fat cheese, etc. No reason to use the low calorie versions if your calories are too low.
  • dogs_n_wine
    dogs_n_wine Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have been having this same problem! These posts really help!
  • biancapenaxo
    Options
    Your math is off. 40% of 1200 is 480 calories, which would be 120 grams of protein, not 110. To keep your macros where you've set them, you'd need 300 calories of carbs, or 75 grams, and 390 calories of fat, or 33.3 grams. If you only get 110 grams of protein, and try to eat exact fat and carbs proportionate to 110 grams (440 calories) you'll def be under 1200 calories.

Thank you for correcting me!
  • biancapenaxo
    Options

Do try to weigh everything and log it by weight if you can. There are a lot of things in your diary logged by cup or piece. Those are going to be less accurate than weight and those little inaccuracies can add up throughout the day.

The first thing I'd suggest to increase your calories is to use whole eggs, full-fat cheese, etc. No reason to use the low calorie versions if your calories are too low.

Sorry - I just figured out how to change from cup to weight!! I'll definitely switch over to weighing foods now that you mentioned it's more accurate.
    Thank you for the suggestions!
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is great! It's a complete protein and goes so well with so many things, hot or cold. And it's pretty calorie dense. I make a big batch on the weekend and then dress it up during the week for work food. Right now, I'm having some with pinto beans, spinach, tuna and feta cheese.
  • saltysamkw
    saltysamkw Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I like having a protein shake. Twice a day. A hydrolyzed whey in the morning after workout. And casein protein powder towards bed time. I order mine at bodybuilding.com (I'm on a weigh loss journey) I just workout hard so I need to fuel my body :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Another vote for weighing your foods and otherwise ensuring your logging is accurate, and if so, peanut butter.