Diabetic and Looking for tips for weight loss

Options
Hello! I'm new to these forums and need some guidance. About a year a go I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes.. I guess you can say I really wasn't too serious about any of it. Not about loosing weight nor about being diabetic. I woke up one day and decided I wanted to take control of my life.

Working out has never been a problem for me. However, eating and knowing what to eat is a big problem area for myself. So if anyone can think of a website or types of foods to eat or foods to not eat that would be greatly appreciated.

I am a 23 year old female, I weigh 301lbs, and I am 6ft tall. My short term summer goal is to be 25 pounds smaller by August 1st. Thank you in-advance for all of you alls help!

Replies

• didazzles
    didazzles Posts: 13
    Options
    Hi and congratulations on saving your life!! I'm very proud of you. I have Type II diabetes also and am now about to be taken off of my medication because of managing my food choices and committing to exercise. You can definitely control your diabetes, but it takes education. It's not hard, but it does take a commitment from you. However, it's so much better than the alternative. I know people who have gone blind and lost limbs because they never took the disease seriously. It is chronic, which means, that over time it will impact our bodiesnegatively and in the case of diabetes, that can means eyes, limbs, kidneys and heart. That's why I'm so glad that you have decided to manage this disease now at 23 years old!! I recommend that you go to see a nutritionist. I did and it changed my life. She explained how food is metabolized by my body and that with planning we can eat all things. We just have to watch the portion controls and realize that you cannot eat everything every day...not if we want to manage our diabetes and weight. My life plan for eating healthy includes 8 servings of protein, 2 fat servings, 2 fruit servings and 7 carb servings - I eat about 3-4 cups of veggies (prepared without meat) a day. Good luck!!
  • truchamp06
    truchamp06 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your tip and speeding reply!