Having trouble liking myself

Options
Today is hard. I'm feeling very malcontent and I keep having negative thoughts about myself. I keep thinking "I want to be someone else" ... but what I really want is to feel satisfied and happy with myself.

Replies

• ttfnweight
    ttfnweight Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Today is hard. I'm feeling very malcontent and I keep having negative thoughts about myself. I keep thinking "I want to be someone else" ... but what I really want is to feel satisfied and happy with myself.

Everyone feels like this from time to time. Try mirror work for 30 days. Say to yourself as you look into your eyes. " I love you and accept you just as you are right now. After doing this for awhile your subconscious will kick in. Those feelings will subside. Look at old pics of when you were at your goal weight. Remember slow and steady wins the race watch something funny to take your mind off negative thoughts. Laughter releases tons of feel good endorphins.
  • lyndahh75
    lyndahh75 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    When I feel like that, which is most days, I watch funny animal videos on youtube or impractical joker episodes. Anything to shift my negative thought process.
  • veronikavargas9103
    Options
    You are beautiful!!! look at the mirror and you can see how beautiful you are!
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Are you mean to people? What do you think is so horrible about you? Do you steal candy from babies?
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Are you mean to people? What do you think is so horrible about you? Do you steal candy from babies?

While I get where you are going with this point I think you can still be unhappy with who you are even if you aren't a cartoon villain.

If I'm being completely honest I can make a list of probably 50 things I don't like about myself. I can list maybe 10 things that I DO like about myself. That tends to get upsetting at times and I get very down about it. I'm guessing the OP is feeling something similar.

OP all I can say is this -- from time to time I actually will list some of the things I don't like about myself. And I'm not talking about looks or genetics or any of that. I'm talking things that are easily in my control. Then I will try to work on them. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't...but ultimately I am chipping away at the bad and replacing it with good things.

Without knowing anything about you I am going to go out on a limb and say I'm sure you're a very kind, caring, and compassionate person. But even the best people can improve themselves. So if you're unhappy with something about yourself...change it. If you want support from someone like minded feel free to add me.
  • Turningpage0201
    Turningpage0201 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    That thought is so known to me. Saldy i dig myself deeper in the thoughts of wishing rather than doing. Add or msg me. I wouldn't mind helping one another out. Especially if we are foing through more or less the same.
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    I get that way at times but then I'm like "no, I want to be the best I can be" type thing. Maybe say one thing you like about yourself eachday?
  • jenmovies
    jenmovies Posts: 346 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I think it's alright to feel that way sometimes, just don't allow yourself to wallow in it. What makes you feel good? For me, in relation to this weightloss and fitness journey, I feel good when I stick to the plan. I have seen results, which keeps me going. I don't think I'll ever be totally happy with myself but that's also a good thing, because it means I will keep trying and not give up. Take it one day at a time, and be kind to yourself when you done meet your own expectations. Best of luck to you! :)
  • lyndahh75
    lyndahh75 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've ever liked myself. That's more than half of my problem. Learning to love and accept yourself unconditionally is going to take trials and tribulations I am sure. I guess I say this for all of us that feel this way, look within- at your soul. Really look at it, not your "flaws and blemishes". Realize that part of our life journey is to learn to love. That love must include self love.
  • gemmag72
    gemmag72 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I feel like this a lot too, but I try to remember I'm not actually a bad person - I'm caring, a loving wife and mum, and do a valuable job in my community. The things I don't like are quite superficial compared to those things.
    You may have a longer list of dislikes than likes, but the likes are more profound and meaningful.
    Feel free to add me if you'd like
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Be mindful of who you are, and reflect on yourself and what you want to improve. Comparisons to "someone else" can be toxic. A lot of those "someone else's" are only showing you the exterior. You often don't see their struggles, their problems, their stresses.

A few years back we had a block party. One of the neighbors said something like "I want to be like Bob". For some reason she thought my life was just peachy. And on the exterior maybe it was. I had a great paying job, a company car and expense account, bonuses, two direct assistants, and 25 or so more people that answered to me. On the outside.

My reality was long stressful work weeks, a company that appreciated nothing we did for them, trying to cope with a terminally ill father, and watching my marriage and family life go to crap because the money won't fix the lack of time. All of this led to some anxiety issues, and allowed my PTSD to surface. I found myself living deep in a hell I wouldn't wish on my worst enemies, and it was a place I never want to return to.

After some major changes, I'm now in a place I want to be. And I intend to stay here. Be careful when you think you want to be like someone else. You see the illusion of their perfect life. They see everything that comes with that illusion.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I think @robertw486 is right. other people might look all cool on the outside but on the inside is a whole other matter.
    only you can be you. everyone else is taken