Exercising with my toddler- and finding the motivation!

Options
learningtolove
learningtolove Posts: 288 Member
edited September 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
What can I do to incorporate some fitness with my toddler- hes a little past 2 1/2. We walk lots together in the summer usually but chilly fall and winter are coming fast.
I find when I try anything like the 30 day shred or whatnot he always wants to be picked up during it and gets upset. (Although last time he did try and mimic my situps and it was adorable)
He doesnt go to bed until 9 and I end up falling asleep with him half the time so exercising after hes in bed isnt really an option,and I also work 12 hour shifts 3-4 day a week and am usually too tired or missing him too much by the end of the work stretch to work out.
I have a gym membership but only make it a handful of times a month because of my schedule.

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Does he take a nap? Low impact workouts won't wake him up (30 DS is high impact). Leslie Sansone Walk at Home or Jessica Smith walking workouts are great in the winter months.

I live in the Midwest.....not walking with 30+ inches of snow on the ground.

www.youtube.com/user/walkathomemedia

www.jessicasmithtv.com/videos/walking-workouts/
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    What about biking? I had the same problem as you not wanting to sacrifice my already limited time with my kids. I recently bought a bike and a bike trailer (carriage for kids) for my little ones. I took my 2 year old in it this past weekend and she enjoyed it. You can buy a bike for around $100 and a bike trailer for about $100. I bought mine at Academy (InStep Take 2 Double Bicycle Trailer) but they sell it on Amazon also and it was super easy to assemble.
  • learningtolove
    learningtolove Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Im pretty budget bound as a single mom- Ive thought about the bike thing in the past,but never have the extra cash to spare. Its too bad too,I dont drive and it would be a great way to get around.
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    My son used to workout with me ...I also used to put on dance music and he used to dance when not mimicking me. He's 4yo now and cheers me on and try to work out with me.
  • jvs125
    jvs125 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I was about to say bike and saw your last post. But honestly, if you could get to work by bike, your workout would be done without him. And you could probably also have a trailer for him and bring him around everywhere by bike, which is a good workout because it's heavy.

I have two babies less then 2 years apart. I was never able to workout with them around for the same reasons - they want to get on me and won't let me finish even just a 20 minutes workout...

As you work 12h per day, your time is also limited. Is there any way to go running during your lunch break (cost free and time efficient and a good workout). Or, get up earlier than him in the morning (tried that myself, didn't work for too long).

Another idea would be to google it - I'm sure you can find some videos on youtube of workouts done with baby...

Good luck!
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I'm just here for some new ideas, I've got a clingy, needy, occasionally whiny 3yo.

Sometimes I use my stationary bike, but I have to put him in front of the tv while I do it.
  • mmsilvia
    mmsilvia Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I can relate ~ I've always found it hard to fit exercise in. When I'm not at work I want to be with my son. I started including him with my exercises. I'd lay a lay yoga mat out for him next to mine. He'd play on it while I exercised. Good luck finding a grove that works for you :smile:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    i ride with my boys regularly...they love it and it's a good workout for me...plus it teaches them by way of example that getting out and doing stuff is full of awesome...
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    My daughter does little workouts with me. I find learning some work outs I don't have to watch really helps. That way I can focus more attention on my little ones so they don't feel left out. My 4 year old makes up little things like 10 butterfly wings, when I ask her what she wants to do for her turn. My 1 1/2 year old tries to do squats when he sees me doing them. Sooo cute. Also, I bought a video bike at a thrift shop that my daughter rides when I am on my recumbent bike and we challenge each other to go faster or 10 more seconds. I'll hold my toddler if he wants to play too. It's fun and the time goes by faster. Plus I like that it's teaching them good habits as well. Other than that, I wait until they are watching a show or napping to do anything else. But you are too busy for that. I watch my calories for weight loss and do exercise for fitness. that helps take Some of the pressure off finding time to exercise as often as I should otherwise.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Im pretty budget bound as a single mom- Ive thought about the bike thing in the past,but never have the extra cash to spare. Its too bad too,I dont drive and it would be a great way to get around.

Not sure how strapped for cash you are, but if you have a Facebook account check out one of their local online yard sale groups. I got a decent bike and a trailer for my toddler for $80 total. Such a great investment!
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I use my toddler while I workout! I hold him and do squats, I'll do a bear crawl while I chase him or run away from him. I'll do pushups over him and kiss him while I'm down.

It's also great bonding time, my kid loves it.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    Usually I don't link to articles but this one has really cute ideas! mommypoppins.com/newyorkcitykids/25-exercise-games-indoor-activities-for-kids
  • melholmes80
    melholmes80 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    It may seem a little silly, but try the website gonoodle.com - my 4 yr old loves it, it's an exercise site for kids. But I do it with him, it's fun bonding time, and I can get a solid 30 min of cardio in before he gets bored