Shopping/Walking?

Options
Does anyone count their shopping "walking" as exercise.... I usually count it as half the time because sometimes there is stopping so If it is 4 hours I count 2 hours at a slow pace 2.0 miles per hour... what do yall do?

Replies

• mangos4music
    mangos4music Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    i take my hrm with me when i go to the mall and stuff. i just log the whole time i spend walkin, cuz even tho you stop and browse the ailses its monitoring my heart rate so its gonna accurately give me my calories burned still
  • CRmom2
    CRmom2 Posts: 73
    Options
    bump
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    No.. I just consider this part of life. Unless you're heart rate is raised and you are sweating, it's not exercise IMO.
  • tusher2011
    tusher2011 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I don't count it. I asked that question a couple of weeks ago here, and I think the majority said not to count it. Although, I didn't go shopping for 4 hrs so I'm not sure, lol.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I do count mine, but only log half of it. I'm a stay at home mom, so going out and walking is a exercise for me. I don't log my cleaning though since I do that everyday (I have 3 little ones).
  • carpar1
    carpar1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    If shopping were an exercise, I wouldn't be here : ) , I would be a skinny minny!
  • sm0113
    sm0113 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    If i go shopping at the mall for a good part of the day, then i usually log half of it at 2 mph. I don't log it if I am just running to the store to grab some things, though.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    No, I don't count it as exercise.
  • jesseylou22
    Options
    Thanks! I think I am leaning towards counting it as half the time and maybe geting me a little pedometer to be more accurate.. I decided on this because I am coming from a very seditary lifestyle and walking around and trying on clothes for a majority of the day is kind of a workout for me especially when it is hot outside and the store is warm as well I actually start breaking a sweat. To some of you this may sound ridiculous and "Fat", but we all have to start somewhere and whatever I am doing is working so far I have lost 3 inches off my waist and 3 inches off my hips, so when it slows down I will for sure pump up my workouts! Thanks all!
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    No, if I am not doing the activity for the purpose of health/weight loss I do not log it. I don't count house cleaning, walking across campus, shopping, or "personal time". Basically anything that is a part of my normal routine I don't count but the biggest thing is if I ask myself am I doing this to burn calories or for some other Reason.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I definitely wouldn't log it.
    It's part of life.
    And you're not doing it to benefit your health specifically.

Edit: Unless you're going to the mall specifically to walk laps, and not stop to actually shop.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I definitely wouldn't log it.
    It's part of life.
    And you're not doing it to benefit your health specifically.

Edit: Unless you're going to the mall specifically to walk laps, and not stop to actually shop.

LOL, cutting laps. I think that's what the kids do these days :tongue:

I actually log mine because A) I don't do it often and B) I am that guy you see powerwalking everywhere cause I can't wait to get out of there!
  • jesseylou22
    Options
    Chrisdavey! That is exactly why I log it.... I agree! I only shop like that maybe once every few months i hate it .. and it always ends up being a big ordeal... usually my inspiration for going is.." Well I guess at least I will get some exercise at the same time..."
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    Definitely justifiable then IMO :smile:
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Daily activities should not be counted they are already accounted for in your profile and your body expects you to burn those calories. If you take them and eat back your calories you can be over eating.

Only dedicated exercise time should be counted as exercise.

Good Luck!
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    She said it's not a daily thing. Monthly.

The way I do it, I incorporate some farmers walks from the car also with mass amounts of shopping bags. Don't want to have to go back for a second trip haha