Slowly cutting out meat...but I love BBQ!

Options
I didn't think this would be so hard this summer!
Last spring I made a promise to myself that by the year 2015 I would be able to say that I was completely vegetarian. For me this is a huge step, because I was a steak and garlic every night type chick, and i (very literally) drool at the though of big macs!
Well I'm proud to say that I've successfully been able to cut out the majority of red meat (except the occasional big mac here and there....nom nom), and the rest of the meat is gradually going away.
EXCEPT! I purchased a bbq this year, thinking that I could come up with amazing cook out ideas with little, to no meat.

BOY was I wrong! Since I've purchased the BBQ, all I've wanted were hamburgers and hot-dogs! I've found some delicious soy burgers and tofu dogs, that I'm able to get away and not tell my kids what they are, however I feel like I'm wasting my BBQ.

Its a charcoal grill, and I would love to be able to utilize it to its full beautiful summer potential!

anyone know any great vegetarian/vegan meals for the grill? I've heard Pineapple sprinkled with Cinnamon is delicious. But what else? Recipes would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• MsPitt
    MsPitt Posts: 78
    Options
    I'm all about the grilled fruits and veggies!
    Peaches! Asparagus! Zucchini! Corn-on-the-Cob!
    http://www.cooksillustrated.com/images/document/howto/MJ01_ISGrillvegetables.pdf
  • nab22
    nab22 Posts: 168
    Options
    Kabobs! With chicken or shrimp and lots of veggies like cherry tomatoes, zucchini, yellow squash, bell peppers, etc. Super easy and delicious
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    I LOVE sliced zucchini sprinkled with dill weed or another herb, and then grilled. Potatoes and onions mixed and grilled in foil are also awesome.

One year my kitchen was torn out and I grilled everything I made. You can cook ANYTHING on the grill that you can cook in the house. (But I really do appreciate having my stove back.)
  • HolleeERL
    HolleeERL Posts: 313 Member
    Options
  • mommylocs
    mommylocs Posts: 3
    Options
    I just ate some grilled asparagus last night and it was "de-LISH- us!!!" I was at a friends, but now I want my own grill! You should do like the other's mentioned..make shishkabobs, grill some corn, etc. Veggies taste awesome off the grill (this was only my 2nd time eating asparagus and I prefer grilled now). :)
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options
    I'm not knocking you by any means, but may I ask you why you want to go vegetarian since you enjoy meat so much?
  • killthesmiley
    killthesmiley Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    What kind of garnishes....or flavored oils would you guy recommend on the grill with these veggies?
    I'm thinking about planning my supper for tomorrow...tonight (*thinking about chopping some veggies!*)
  • killthesmiley
    killthesmiley Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My personal belief (and a lot of people don't chose to share that and thats cool) is that the human body isn't 100% made to digest meat the way we really expect it to. with evolution, we definitely do it better then some people think, but I feel that the more meat you eat, the slower things can ... roll....in your digestive track. And I do find that is the case as well with myself personally.
    When I personally eat meat, especially red meat, I find myself bloated, gassy and constipated, compared to eating a vegetarian diet, I feel great in that sense, and very energetic, as opposed to when I eat meat, I feel lethargic.

I've done a bit of back and forth over the past year, and I do find that I'm am able to tell the difference especially with red meat, which I'm so grateful that I know my body that well.

I'm definitely not a pusher by any means. If you want to eat meat, power to you! I'm also not the type that says "DON'T LET THAT MEAT NEAR ME!" I'm totally ok with having a steak shoved in my face. I may even take a bite. I just know that my personal body doesn't like it too much.
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options
    I respect your decision:-)

I was just curious.