Bulking

Options
marygoya91
marygoya91 Posts: 22 Member
Hi,
I'm 5'5" and 110 pound female. I'm going to start the Strong Curves program ( the beginnings program) and I'm planning on bulking (first time bulking). My maintenance calories (if I'm sedentary) is about 1,540 calories per day, but since I'm going to bulk, I'm starting off with 1,800 calories. Can anyone tell my if my macros seem fine?

-110 grams of protein (440 calories)
-55 grams of fat (495 calories)
-217 grams of carbs (865 calories)

Last question, would I have to eat my bulk calories on days that I'm not doing the program? Or should I do maintenance calories during days I'm not on the program?

Thanks everyone !! :)

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    marygoya91 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm 5'5" and 110 pound female. I'm going to start the Strong Curves program ( the beginnings program) and I'm planning on bulking (first time bulking). My maintenance calories (if I'm sedentary) is about 1,540 calories per day, but since I'm going to bulk, I'm starting off with 1,800 calories. Can anyone tell my if my macros seem fine?

Last question, would I have to eat my bulk calories on days that I'm not doing the program? Or should I do maintenance calories during days I'm not on the program?

You should be in a constant caloric surplus... so you never hit maintenance or a deficit.
    • 0.6-0.8g of protein per lb of body mass
    • 0.4-0.45g of fat per lb of body mass
    • fill rest of calories with carbs
  • marygoya91
    Options
    Hi,

You should be in a constant caloric surplus... so you never hit maintenance or a deficit.

Okay thanks, I'll keep the surplus throughout the bulk. I know some people decrease the carbs calories and increase the protein calories on rest days to avoid excess fat, but stay with the bulking calories, in this case 1800. Would this be okay?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Okay thanks, I'll keep the surplus throughout the bulk. I know some people decrease the carbs calories and increase the protein calories on rest days to avoid excess fat, but stay with the bulking calories, in this case 1800. Would this be okay?

you want to keep your macros consistent through the whole week. Decreasing carbs while you in a surplus is not going to do anything for minimizing fat gain. If you want to minimize fat gain then eat in a smaller surplus, i.e. 250 calorie surplus for .5 pound a week gain.
  • Shouliveshappy
    Shouliveshappy Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a 2500-2700 calories.. 106 protein and 65 fats .those 2 are minimum, once I've hit them, I'll let the rest of the macros fall in place.., 1800 seems like a maintenance . U could start with 2300 - 2500.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    How long have you been lifting? Have you been eating at maintenance for awhile? 1800 even with exercise seems low.
  • marygoya91
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    How long have you been lifting? Have you been eating at maintenance for awhile? 1800 even with exercise seems low.

I started the Strong Curves program today. I started eating at 1800 calories today, but i'm doing the beginners program so the exercises aren't very intense, just to practice form. Does this sound okay?
  • marygoya91
    Options
    I'm doing a 2500-2700 calories.. 106 protein and 65 fats .those 2 are minimum, once I've hit them, I'll let the rest of the macros fall in place.., 1800 seems like a maintenance . U could start with 2300 - 2500.

I was going to start with 1800 and if I don't gain weight I was planning on eating 2000 calories! Thanks!
  • marygoya91
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Hi,

you want to keep your macros consistent through the whole week. Decreasing carbs while you in a surplus is not going to do anything for minimizing fat gain. If you want to minimize fat gain then eat in a smaller surplus, i.e. 250 calorie surplus for .5 pound a week gain.

My maintenance without exercise is 1540, I did a small surplus of 260 calories. But am I suppose to be adding the surplus to my maintenance with exercise included or without? That's where I am confused in. Thanks .
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Honestly, if you havent had much experience in lifting, i would do that and eat at maintenance for a few months until you start to see some lifting plateaus. Newbs are more inclined to see muscular adaptations prior to adding mass. So bulking before a solid lifting foundation is laid can potentially hurt gains.
  • marygoya91
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Honestly, if you havent had much experience in lifting, i would do that and eat at maintenance for a few months until you start to see some lifting plateaus. Newbs are more inclined to see muscular adaptations prior to adding mass. So bulking before a solid lifting foundation is laid can potentially hurt gains.

Thanks that was helpful!