2 pounds in 3 days?

Options
Is it possible to gain 2 pounds of body fat in 3-4 days? My daily calorie goal is 1360 but the last few days Ive been eating around 300 over my calories. I'm still going to the gym and my fitbit says I'm burning an average of 2500 calories a day. Could it be water?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    2 pounds is approximately 7000 calories. Did you eat that much?
  • lyndahh75
    lyndahh75 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    How often do you weigh yourself? Our weight fluctuates. If you eat sodium rich foods or msg/ your body may retain fluid.
  • SaffronSunrise
    SaffronSunrise Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    If you increased your workout, it's probably just water weight from sore muscles. I easily gain a couple of pounds overnight if I hit the gym hard.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    That's water weight.
  • 89GermanG
    89GermanG Posts: 73 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

No, I didn't.
  • 89GermanG
    Options
    lyndahh75 wrote: »
    How often do you weigh yourself? Our weight fluctuates. If you eat sodium rich foods or msg/ your body may retain

almost every day
  • OsricTheKnight
    OsricTheKnight Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    If you weigh every day you need to use a trending chart to take out the fluctuations. Otherwise all you're seeing is water variance (both up and down).

Osric

P.S. previous post on this topic
    @jessica22222 It'd be easier to answer if I knew what part wasn't clear :-)

A few things: CICO ==> Calories In, Calories Out - the rule that decides if you lose or gain. If you know your input and your output, it takes 3,500 calories to burn a pound of fat. So if you eat 500 kcals/day less than you burn, you'll lose 1lb/week, rain or shine. This simple fact controls everything about weight loss.

trendweight.com is a website that will take your weigh ins and make a graph. For example, I weigh in daily, and here are a month's worth of weights from MFP's graph:

mduoiptbginw.png

If I was looking at this each day I'd have given up by now. Look at all the up and down spots! Look how little progress I make most weeks! It's godawful. Take those same data points and put them into trendweight.com, and you get this:

cu3o2t1ifjtp.png

It's hard to believe it's the same data right? The diamonds are the weights from the scale. trendweight automatically computes a trend based on multiple weigh ins - that's the dark line on the graph. I look at this graph and can easily see my progress. If I misbehave, I get a diamond above the line the very next day and I know what I did wrong the previous day. It is super motivating.

Not only do I get good feedback and can easily see how it's going, but I also get output that tells me my daily deficit. Right now, for me, trendweight.com says:
    You are losing 1.9 lbs/week of total weight.
    You are burning 973 cal/day more than you eat

So I know exactly how fast it's going. I know that if I eat an extra 100 kcal snack tomorrow, I will slow myself down by 10%. God forbid I have a DQ blizzard - that'd basically undo all my progress. Because 973 calories a day is all my progress, and any excess eating is going to chip away at that and stop my loss or even worse lead to gain.

For me, trendweight.com is an awesome tool that lets me see how my decisions affect my progress, and that my progress is for real, while the scale is a terrible, random thing that gives numbers that don't seem to relate at all to my efforts.

Osric

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,907 Member
    Options
    I love this video about how weight can fluctuate dramatically over the course of the day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYMNPP2ZR1U
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    It's water retention.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    89GermanG wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »

No, I didn't.

I figured that , it was more rhetorical;)
  • 89GermanG
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I love this video about how weight can fluctuate dramatically over the course of the day:

Wow, I didn't know there can be that much of a difference. Thanks for sharing!
  • Werk2Eat
    Werk2Eat Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Personally I think theres a limit to how many calories your body will absorb in a day. The rest it will *kitten* out the next day.
  • 89GermanG
    Options
    Lol
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    89GermanG wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Wow, I didn't know there can be that much of a difference. Thanks for sharing!
    Just try weighing yourself every 2 hours all day long and you will get results similar to his! On the other hand, don't do this unless you're mentally TOUGH or it will make you insane and you will come here post a million panic threads. LOL.
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Werk2Eat wrote: »
    Personally I think theres a limit to how many calories your body will absorb in a day. The rest it will *kitten* out the next day.

I don't know if there's a limit or not but the last part makes sense...i mean...maybe you just need to drop the kids off at the pool ya know?