How to fit it in?

Options
I work from home and sit at my computer all day long. I have teenage kids and a SO that is physical all day at his job. When they get home they want to eat and then I have to make a big dinner for 3 teenagers and my man. How do I fit in the workouts when I'm working from the time I get up until I make dinner and it's family time?

I try to get up and fold laundry, or clean a bathroom but that's not gonna be enough to lose the 80 pounds I want to lose in the next 10 months. My SO doesn't want to move when he gets home (he's a big engine mechanic) and 2 of the 3 teenagers are bean poles ... I feel like I'm the only one in the house struggling with movement and weight issues.

Replies

• BekahC1980
    BekahC1980 Posts: 474 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    If its truly what you want to lose weight you need to eat less.
    Also 80 lbs in 10 months, that's 2 lbs a week and may not be as easily obtained, just saying.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    You will lose most of the weight due to diet. You can eat what they eat just reduce the portions.

Exercise in the morning before work. The kids can help with chores.

Best of luck.
  • sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Get a stand up desk, If that's not possible they have those yoga ball chairs and you actually work your core balancing.
    Maybe set a timer, to get up and walk around ever so often.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Ten minutes at a time. Get up from your desk and jog in place...keep a set of dumbbells close by...resistance bands...do pushups off your kitchen counter while you cook...you could also do some squats in the kitchen.

It has taken me most of the day to get all of my resistance training in today...still have a couple more exercises to do before I am finished.

Let the teenage kids help in the kitchen while you take 30 (or 2 15 minute sessions) minutes to do your exercises.

• questionreality853
    Options
    I suggest tracking food religiously. Keep carbs to 40% of diet and cut out sugar. Avoid baked goods/white carbs. No sweetened beverages. No fake sugars. Ok to eat more nutritious fat--keeps you feeling full! Almonds are my mid-morning life saver. Vegetables too! Limit fruit to 2-3 servings a day. Go for a mile walk each morning or on your lunch break--pick one. It will be hard at first, but will get easier. Also, as odd as it sounds...as long as you're eating enough good calories you'll learn it's okay to feel hungry. This app is an amazing help! You can make progress!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i work from home and go to the gym every morning. its non negotiable.
  • ladytwilight72
    ladytwilight72 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I also work from home. I keep dumbbells at my desk and lift between calls. I have a routine i do 3 days a week. I also do a walking video at lunch...a mile in 10 to 15 min. Then make lunch and eat at my desk. I'm seeing results so it must be working :smile:
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    You are a mum of three awesome kids! You run the household and work from home! That is incredible! Someone as awesomely amazing as you can do anything you put your mind to!
    Get up one hour earlier than usual and sneak in a workout while everyone else is asleep.
    Feed yourself a smaller portion and track every single thing you put in your mouth.
    Next time you do your groceries, grab yourself a set of digital scales. Just the cheapie ones will do. Weigh everything! Log everything!
    You can do this!!!!
  • irishgal25
    irishgal25 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Morning workouts are tough to get in the swing of, but fantastic once your body clock adjusts to the earlier rise. Just tell yourself you HAVE to do it
  • TinyTexn59
    TinyTexn59 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    If you consider that the time it takes to do a 30 minute workout plus the 10 minute drive to and from you have about an hour. Is your health worth one hour a day to you? Get up early and do this for you. You will feel better, look better and get better results. When you feel better your entire family feels that. It is so worth it!
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Think it's time Mum started getting some support from her family! That big dinner you're cooking.... You have an unpaid workforce at your disposal. It's time to start asking the family to get on board with the chores leaving you some time so you can do what you need to and look after yourself.
  • aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Basically where there is a will there is a way. I agree with those that say the kids could help with chores, freeing up time for you. I also have three teenage kids, they all have crazy after school schedules but if they come home starving, they have learned to sort themselves out with a sandwich or whatever when they get home to hold them over till dinner. They all help out around the house.
    If you can't face morning workouts, have you considered finding time in the evening? Although I do have time during the day, I have started swimming 2 evenings a week at 9pm. Once dinner is done, kitchen closed, and off I go.

You could also do workouts at home. There are lots of youtube videos out there. I use an app Nike+ Training. It has loads of great workouts that last half an hour.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Another option OP is to get the kids onboard with a family workout. Take walks together...ride bikes...go hiking.

I don't always like to exercise...I look for excuses not to do it...Sometimes the body tells me NO...they are all just excuses not to get up off my lazy butt and do it.
  • aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    Another option OP is to get the kids onboard with a family workout. Take walks together...ride bikes...go hiking.

I don't always like to exercise...I look for excuses not to do it...Sometimes the body tells me NO...they are all just excuses not to get up off my lazy butt and do it.

Great idea. Actually my 16-yr old daughter is the one that introduced me to the Nike app and we do it together when she gets home from school or after she finishes her homework. When she finds excuses not to do them I encourage her and vice versa, when I don't really feel like it, she insists. We are always glad we did them afterwards
  • Bdettte
    Bdettte Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I also have a desk job and a SO who is not interested in working out. There are a lot of 15 minute workouts you can down load. Take a break every couple of hours from your desk and do a set. Change what you cook at home. The family will probably not even notice and may even like some of the foods. The 12WBC is what started me on the right track. 15 kilos gone and still losing. (30ish pounds). I know you will be fine. Take advice from the others and you will be amazing.
  • carolyn000000
    carolyn000000 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    When you get up in the morning, put on your workout clothes. It is really hard to not workout if you are dressed and ready to go. For me, workouts are like doctor's appointments. I don't miss. If you are going to be at your best to take care of your family you have to take care of yourself first.

Gotta watch what you eat too! You can exercise all you want but if you don't clean up your diet you won't lose weight. You will be fitter, but not thinner.

Good luck! Been there done that!
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I have a group for women who want to lose weight, if you like, check it out on my profile page! I lost 25lbs in 3 months, after so much frustration trying to lose weight. You can totally do it!
  • nixism
    nixism Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Perhaps your SO and teens need to do a bit more around the place to free you up for a walk or something, to do something for you - you are no good to anyone running on "empty". I am an extremely busy person, but still manage to do something (even something small) for me and my health most days. How much do you want it?
  • jessmcd1986
    jessmcd1986 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Get a slow cooker! It's my favourite kitchen item, awesome to come home to a cooked meal :smile: plus you can make a heap of healthy meals, like soups and casseroles, even some prep meals on a sunday. Also, get up an hour earlier and workout in the morning. I personally have 9 gym sessions per week, work a 40 hour week (normal 8-5pm, but I work all over the area, so spend over 2 hours per day driving). I leave home at 5:30 and don't get home until 7:30 or later. That is why prepping is key for me to fit in my workouts. My rest day is the day I spend in the kitchen, getting everything ready. Good luck!
    Also, diet, as a few have said above, weigh everything and you will soon see how much we do really consume
  • Rowan813
    Rowan813 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I suggest tracking food religiously. Keep carbs to 40% of diet and cut out sugar. Avoid baked goods/white carbs. No sweetened beverages. No fake sugars. Ok to eat more nutritious fat--keeps you feeling full! Almonds are my mid-morning life saver. Vegetables too! Limit fruit to 2-3 servings a day. Go for a mile walk each morning or on your lunch break--pick one. It will be hard at first, but will get easier. Also, as odd as it sounds...as long as you're eating enough good calories you'll learn it's okay to feel hungry. This app is an amazing help! You can make progress!

Excellent advice.