????? confused

Options
Help me understand how it is I can eat salads and I can go over my calories so quickly?

Replies

• trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    What kind of dressings and toppings are you putting on the salads?
  • SandersWifey
    SandersWifey Posts: 387
    Options
    Dressings and cheeses can hold ALOT of calories. What are you putting on/in them??
  • vsyates
    vsyates Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    It depends what you use to make your salads as well as what salad dressing you use. Some dressings can kill you with calories!
  • truchamp06
    truchamp06 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    What all are you putting on your salads? All the toppings and certain salad dressings can carry a lot of calories.
  • kesteele
    kesteele Posts: 127
    Options
    I agree with everyone a normal salad is about 35cals/cup of salad. the DRESSING is what gets you -- the best dressing is a vinaigrette based or even better if you make your own -- I've started doing that.
  • lolathompson
    lolathompson Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Depend on 1. did you make the salad at home. 2. Did you get it prepared at restuarant 3. Did it have a nutrition label.

Salad can contain a lot of meat and cheese and not to mention that calories in the salad dressing. There are several great and tasty low-calorie salad recipes on MFP and most restaurants have their nutrion information online and on the food database on MFP.

hope that helps a litte. What else are you eating?
  • Earthhorse
    Earthhorse Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    If you are adding nuts, those are crazy in calories :( healthy but high in fat (good fat though ;)
  • bruceseverson
    Options
    Salads are very sneaky! The dressings are usually killers - as are cheese, nuts, added meat, etc. If you want to add me as a friend, my food diary is open, and you can see what I make for a salad when I go to a salad bar (such as Sweet Tomatoes). I add high fiber things like garbonzo beans, red kidney beans, black beans, etc., plus additional vegetables like sliced cucumbers, grated carrots, chopped celery, etc. For the dressing, I do not pour it on or let the cook or waiter put it on. Instead, I get it on the side, and then just dip my fork in the dressing before every bite so I get a taste of it with very few Calories. I can eat a heaping plate full of salad and only use 1 Tablespoon or less of salad dressing this way, and I still get some with every bite. :-) This was a tip I got from a dietician, by the way. Good luck!

5255597.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • smb23112
    smb23112 Posts: 46
    Options
    Thanks every1 for the advice.. I do put meat and cheese but its because I usually have a salad for a meal. Also I use free Italian, free French or raspberry vinaigrette.
  • wwhite94
    wwhite94 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    instead of pouring dressing on your salad take 2 tbs and put them in a dish and dip your fork into the dish before you take a bit of salad that way you get the dressing flavoring without using tons of dressing.