Fast Food

Options
SKMC0214
SKMC0214 Posts: 58 Member
edited September 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I was just making an observation, no need for such hate. I have deleted my comment. Good day all

Replies

• nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I was obese and never ate fast food and rarely went out to eat... what is my excuse?
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    a mcdouble on its own is only about 390 calories and $1 (i think)

i eat out and eat fast food all the time. i skip the fries and soda. doing that causes most things to be reasonable for a meal. ive lost 70 pounds. overeating is what causes obesity, not the existence of any food or restaurant.
  • nordlead2005
    Options

i eat out and eat fast food all the time. i skip the fries and soda. doing that causes most things to be reasonable for a meal. ive lost 70 pounds. overeating is what causes obesity, not the existence of any food or restaurant.

You can even get a diet soda, I don't see why you have to buy a regular soda with the burger and a water with the salad.
  • Venus_Red
    Venus_Red Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    There are McDonalds all over the world. How is it their fault?

• abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    SKMC0214 wrote: »
    My afternoon lunch rant. One of many reasons the US is obese. A McDouble, McChicken, value fry and large coke $4.00 and 1270 calories. A Grilled Chicken, Bacon , Ranch salad hold the ranch with Balsamic dressing instead and ice water almost $7.00 but only 340 calories. Food for thought. Just an observation, not an excuse. It's my own bad, I had everything at home to make this exact salad, but forgot to do it last night and did not have time this morning. Its all good. I made the right choice and be sure to plan ahead tonight for tomorrow.

Are you honestly saying that the US is obese because salads cost more? I think it's most likely because obese people prefer burgers to salad.

For the record there are exceptions. I am on the obese spectrum and would prefer a salad...but you know what I would like with my salad? Fries and a McFlurry. Oh and a sweet tea...so yeah we're probably back up to 1200 cals. And I'm on a budget.

The point is it has nothing to do with cost. It has to do with the desire to eat delicious food.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    My afternoon lunch rant. One of many reasons the US is obese. A McDouble, McChicken, value fry and large coke $4.00 and 1270 calories. A Grilled Chicken, Bacon , Ranch salad hold the ranch with Balsamic dressing instead and ice water almost $7.00 but only 340 calories. Food for thought. Just an observation, not an excuse. It's my own bad, I had everything at home to make this exact salad, but forgot to do it last night and did not have time this morning. Its all good. I made the right choice and be sure to plan ahead tonight for tomorrow.

Are those the only two possible menu/order choices?

False dichotomy is false.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I don't always plan the best either, but I'm lucky enough to have a grocery store near work. A small bag of veggies & a frozen entrée (not the best)....but inexpensive & low calorie.
  • SKMC0214
    SKMC0214 Posts: 58 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I was not making excuse or placing blame, it was only an observation. I made the right choice and I used the selections, just simply because it was what the person in front of me ordered. We are each responsible for our own choices. Geez relax everyone, I go several times a week to be sure I have fresh and healthy food. Aldi's is great for a low cost healthy choices. I was a bit shell shocked by the price, because I usually get enough stuff for a week of salads for that amount.

I got the salad because I wanted the salad. I did not want the other items, again just an observation, you know that is any excuse someone will use
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Get a happy meal, they are around 500 calories.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    McChickens and McDoubles pretty much save my life, calorie- and money-wise. No need for fries, and I always have my water bottle handy.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Hahaha. Most fast food is indeed spiritually, economically and nutritionally grotesque. Be that as it may most folks do occasionally have their 'go to' fast food solution. I like an In 'n Out Burger. Protein style if it's a weekday, monkey style if it's the weekend. Not ashamed. Not even a little.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    I would never eat a fast food salad because my salads at home are 1000x better.
  • Sophlilcady
    Sophlilcady Posts: 21 Member
    Options

In Australia you can get a garden salad instead of fries at no difference in cost. Took the kids to McDonalds last weekend as they desperately wanted to try out the new playground. I got a grilled chicken and aoli wrap, a large diet coke and a garden salad, I felt satisfied at 561 calories, and that included putting Italian style dressing on my salad. There are definitely options available if you want to eat at mcdonalds.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    It's deleted. Oh, but I so enjoy the weekly threads here where people complain about the existence of inexpensive, quickly-served food being the reason why people are fat ("No, silly rabbit, food must be EXPENSIVE and SLOW!").

Man, I love fast food joints. I can go there by myself (usually walking), get out of the house (I work at home, so that's a big deal), drink all the diet soda I want, eat my burger or breakfast burritos, read for an hour, and have a great time for less than ten bucks.

Nutrition game is on-point, so zero problems k-thx.

Nothing fancy needed, but you've gotta make the most of your day-to-day environment.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options

Are you honestly saying that the US is obese because salads cost more? I think it's most likely because obese people prefer burgers to salad.

For the record there are exceptions. I am on the obese spectrum and would prefer a salad...but you know what I would like with my salad? Fries and a McFlurry. Oh and a sweet tea...so yeah we're probably back up to 1200 cals. And I'm on a budget.

The point is it has nothing to do with cost. It has to do with the desire to eat delicious food.

Thank you.

All those obesity studies. Why not ASK PEOPLE why they eat as they do?

• nordlead2005
    Options
    I didn't see any hate. Just people pointing out it was an observation with a flawed conclusion.

Had you stated a burger was $4 and was 800 calories vs a salad was $7 and 400 calories and left it at that, that would be an observation.

However, you went on to add that there is no wonder why America is obese, so people countered.
  • TheopolisAmbroiseIII
    Options
    I had an egg mcmuffin with orange juice and hash brown for breakfast. It was wonderful.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,082 Member
    Options
    scolaris wrote: »
    I would never eat a fast food salad because my salads at home are 1000x better.

My salads at home are better than McDonald's salads too.

But I sometimes still eat McDonald's salads because when I am out and I go to McDonald's I am not at home.
  • anneuhbanana
    anneuhbanana Posts: 17 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Mmmmm zaxbys salad
  • ljmorgi
    ljmorgi Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Blessed are the blockquoters.