PMS & Depression struggles

Options
I am finding that working out and eating right are especially difficulty when I am depressed and or having PMS. Does anyone have any helpful advice? It's discouraging when my energy diminishes and my appetite for junk food significantly increases.

Replies

• VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Clinical depression, or just normal depression? I get depressed relatively often, but it's for reasons (I miss my daughter), and it isn't clinical. I tend to not want to eat at all then, which just makes it worse. I find sleep usually helps level me out, as does eating fatty proteins.

If it's clinical depression, then I can't help much. I've seen it, and dealt with it in others, but never experienced it. I'd suggest professional help then, if at all possible.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    PMS turns me into a monster. Generally makes me feel like a bottomless pit and i just want to eat and eat and eat. And eat stuff like brownies and caramel slices, not carrot sticks with hummus.

As for depression, have dealt with that too (again, not clinical, but still messed-up-able), and that also has me reaching for the ice-cream with Nutella.

However - I have found that now that I am fitter and healthier and feeling better about myself there has been a LOT less depression and my PMS monster bottomless pit generally only lasts a day or two instead of a week and if I indulge in one massive slice of cake it's geenrally enough to make me feel ill from all the sugar and it curbs my desire to keep eating.

So now, once I month I have a treat - my next treat is going to be a cronut - never had one so will try it next month! The month after that will be bacon ice cream. i may as well splurge on something super sickening if I'm going to splurge!

[Edited by MFP Staff]
  • kissmyasscamille
    kissmyasscamille Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It's definitely clinical. I've struggled with it all my life. It's so much worse a week or so before my period. I like your suggestion Camilacreme. Maybe I should just plan a treat to look forward to since it's such a difficult time anyway.
  • Venus_Red
    Venus_Red Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Clinical isn't likely going to be handled with a treat. Are you sure that's what you're dealing with?
  • bettypeyton1
    bettypeyton1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Talk to your Obgyn about the PMS and energy drop. I was anemic and had no clue. They ran blood work and found I was very low on iron. And no energy meant no exercise. Both of which added to my depression which turned me to food. I got my iron count back up which gave me energy which improved my depression which helped to curve the junk food craves.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Seriously. Go to the doc for actual help -- blood tests, possible medication, suggestions, . . . :)
  • kahuku
    kahuku Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I feel you. Running has really helped with my depression, and my PMS has been relieved by discovering a magnesium deficiency. I still have junk food cravings and low energy if I skip a run.
  • xX_PhoenixRising_Xx
    Options
    Exercise helped my clinical depression and anxiety. Still does. I'm no longer medicated but if I stop exercising it is so much harder to manage. Basically I made myself exercise. I parked an exercise bike in my living room and used it every day. I also arranged to go walking every evening with my mother and because she was going I went. I set up the same arrangment with my best friend so I always had someone to walk with.

It's nearly 4 years later and I have a whole gym set up in my house, including weights. The food became easier to manage as I lost weight. I was 329lbs and most of that was from stuffing my face due to the depression/anxiety. It wasn't easy but it was worth it. I've lost over 150lbs.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I have bipolar 2, depression and its butt kicking my motivation out the window is an hourly struggle for me. Exercise has made me much more stable though and I haven't had a deeply worrying low since I started which is huge for me. It needs to become habit I think. When I started I used Beachbody programs (not the coaches or shakes or anything though!) because there is a set schedule that I had on my wall and I committed to ticking off every single on of those days. Part way into my second go it just became habit and I took over. I now run 3-4 times a week and add in some resistance training once or twice a week in my lounge (I have some lightish dumbbells,3kg and 5kg but want heavier at some point, or do bodyweight, no room for a full set up in my little flat). And I just do it now, without thinking. Sure some days it's harder than others but if I go to bed telling myself I'm going for a run tomorrow then 9 times out of 10 that's exactly what I do.

It is so hard, depression is awful and there are times when nothing in the world will compel me to exercise. I hope now though that if that happens I am much better equipped to keep it as short as possible and keep my diet in check. But I also have to remember to be kind to myself if I don't always stay on track, I don't need to help my dysfunctional brain hate me even more, as it were.
  • kissmyasscamille
    Options
    kahuku wrote: »
    I feel you. Running has really helped with my depression, and my PMS has been relieved by discovering a magnesium deficiency. I still have junk food cravings and low energy if I skip a run.

I will try magnesium. I've heard it can be helpful with PMS. The Obgyns I've seen have not been helpful and I'm not anemic but that was a great idea to mention it.
  • kissmyasscamille
    Options
    Exercise helped my clinical depression and anxiety. Still does. I'm no longer medicated but if I stop exercising it is so much harder to manage. Basically I made myself exercise. I parked an exercise bike in my living room and used it every day. I also arranged to go walking every evening with my mother and because she was going I went. I set up the same arrangment with my best friend so I always had someone to walk with.

It's nearly 4 years later and I have a whole gym set up in my house, including weights. The food became easier to manage as I lost weight. I was 329lbs and most of that was from stuffing my face due to the depression/anxiety. It wasn't easy but it was worth it. I've lost over 150lbs.

That's fantastic. Thanks for sharing your story and ideas.
  • kissmyasscamille
    Options
    That's fantastic. Thanks for sharing your story and ideas.
  • kissmyasscamille
    Options
    I have bipolar 2, depression and its butt kicking my motivation out the window is an hourly struggle for me. Exercise has made me much more stable though and I haven't had a deeply worrying low since I started which is huge for me. It needs to become habit I think. When I started I used Beachbody programs (not the coaches or shakes or anything though!) because there is a set schedule that I had on my wall and I committed to ticking off every single on of those days. Part way into my second go it just became habit and I took over. I now run 3-4 times a week and add in some resistance training once or twice a week in my lounge (I have some lightish dumbbells,3kg and 5kg but want heavier at some point, or do bodyweight, no room for a full set up in my little flat). And I just do it now, without thinking. Sure some days it's harder than others but if I go to bed telling myself I'm going for a run tomorrow then 9 times out of 10 that's exactly what I do.

It is so hard, depression is awful and there are times when nothing in the world will compel me to exercise. I hope now though that if that happens I am much better equipped to keep it as short as possible and keep my diet in check. But I also have to remember to be kind to myself if I don't always stay on track, I don't need to help my dysfunctional brain hate me even more, as it were.

• kissmyasscamille
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I appreciate it. It's so hard to talk about mental illness. And you're right it just complicates issues like weight loss and wellness. I hope to set up a routine for myself soon that will become automatic for me.