going over on fat due to almonds

Options
I'd like the opinion of someone well-versed in nutrition. If I regularly go over on my fat, should I cut out almonds? I've read they are good fat and fill you up.

Replies

• minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Fat is not bad for you. Fat will not make you fat. I have lost 86lbs this year and average 112g of fat per day.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If you are not going over in calories, then no I wouldn't cut them out.

Overall, going over in fat does not concern me unless it means that I am going over in calories. Even then, I may cut out something else as opposed to the food(s) with higher fat levels.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    If you are not going over in calories, then no I wouldn't cut them out.

Overall, going over in fat does not concern me unless it means that I am going over in calories. Even then, I may cut out something else as opposed to the food(s) with higher fat levels.

Yep this.

Also (depending on how many almonds you're eating) if a few almonds is putting you over your fat goal, it's entirely possible your fat goal is too low. You need a sufficient amount of dietary fat in your diet. General recommendation is somewhere in the neighborhood of 0.35-0.4 grams per day per pound of body weight.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Deez nuts are good for you!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it, unless you are going over to an extent that makes your diet unbalanced.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Get your protein minimum and stay within your calorie goal with all the almonds you desire.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    The vast majority of us aren't well-versed in nutrition. But, I've read lots of posts relaying that fat intake doesn't seem to affect weight loss, calories do. I can attest to this, as well; eat up.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Unless you get an answer from a licensed dietician, I'd take our opinions with a grain of "salt." Or a gram of fat. :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    The only issue with eating too many almonds if it takes you over your calories, and if you're not weighing them. Very easy to underestimate the calories in almonds.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    as long as you are weighing the almonds (on a scale), and staying within your calorie goals, its not an issue
  • Coolhandkid
    Coolhandkid Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Getting more of your calories from healthy fats and proteins is better than empty carbs to be sure. But if that takes you over your caloric totals it could be impacting your weight loss.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I really wouldn't worry :]
    Pay attention to your calorie deficit.
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Once I changed my macro goals to 50% fat, it stopped being an issue. ;)