Is green tea beneficial for weight loss?

Options
Hi guys! So I have a cup of green tea in the afternoon and one at night, both times with a tea spoon of honey and 1/4 of a lime-squeezed. I work out regularly, for at least an hour a day at the gym and I'm using this app for additional help in guiding me in terms of what I should and shouldn't be eating. So for those of you who had it before, did green tea significantly help you shed a few extra pounds of fat? Thank you!

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Green tea is good for hydration if you like it. For weight loss you need a calorie deficit. Be sure to log the honey in your tea.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    When I first started to try and lose weight, I would force myself to drink green tea throughout the day (I hate the stuff), unfortunately it does nothing for weight loss. As mentioned above, the only thing that does work is a calorie deficit, eat less than you burn.
    There are no magical pills, potions or elixirs that speed up the process.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    If you like tea, if it keeps you from eating/drinking more caloric things, then it's good for weight loss (your weight loss).
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    It's got caffeine. Caffeine gives you energy, but won't burn any fat unless you're using it to keep yourself moving more.
  • snaq313
    snaq313 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Green tea is good for hydration if you like it. For weight loss you need a calorie deficit. Be sure to log the honey in your tea.

Alright, so ultimately it comes down to the calories only. And I've been logging the honey as well, thank you very much!
  • snaq313
    Options
    When I first started to try and lose weight, I would force myself to drink green tea throughout the day (I hate the stuff), unfortunately it does nothing for weight loss. As mentioned above, the only thing that does work is a calorie deficit, eat less than you burn.
    There are no magical pills, potions or elixirs that speed up the process.

I enjoy green tea! But yes I am definitely eating less calories than I burn, and I'm going to stick to it for as long as it takes for me to be satisfied with my body. Thank you!
  • snaq313
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    If you like tea, if it keeps you from eating/drinking more caloric things, then it's good for weight loss (your weight loss).
    It's got caffeine. Caffeine gives you energy, but won't burn any fat unless you're using it to keep yourself moving more.

Thank you both for your feedback! I really appreciate it.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    No
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    yes, if it stops you snacking on higher calorie things
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    It comes down to calories in calories out. Always. Eat less then you burn, you lose weight. Calorie deficit- weight loss.
    Green tea- does nothing for weight loss

• fionnnnaaaa
    fionnnnaaaa Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Tried it for first time yesterday, pleasantly surprised & made change from usual coffee. No temptation for biscuit along with green tea!
  • TamLam99
    TamLam99 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    if it was beneficial to weight loss nobody would be overweight :)

I wish it was that simple.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    If you hate water (Some do), then it helps in keeping you hydrated.
  • j3nesis87
    j3nesis87 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If you're substituting green tea for coffee with cream and sugar, or soda or whatever, then yes, it is.
    If you're drinking it to up your fluid intake because you hate water, then yes, it is.

I do both these things and while I know that the green tea is not in and of itself doing the dirty work, it sure makes it easier.