Nit-picky people

Options
I chew gum to help with my weight loss. It sounds silly but it stops me from chewing on food and sometimes it causes me to forget I am even hungry until my next meal.

My Mom, however, regularly nit-picks me about me chewing gum in public (I'm 42 years old, btw). Sometimes she will even put out her hand for me to spit the gum out, like I am 5 years old. I don't do that, obviously, and have expressed my disinterest in her comments. She gets mad at me, saying she's, "Just trying to help or she wouldn't say anything," and acts like I am overreacting and I'm the one who is acting poorly.

I admit chewing gum in public isn't the best habit in the world (SHE does it too, though). However, it gets super old, and I feel like I can't say anything back because then I'm the problem again.

I feel like she's frustrated about something else and looking for a way to take it out on me. If I ask her that, she denies it.

As an aside, she also picks on my driving. Which is also frustrating, because normally when we're together, I'm driving HER to the grocery store or to run errands, etc. The last time I said, "You know you could always drive if you don't like the way I do it." She got mad at that, of course.

Just wondering what anyone else does. I guess I could ignore it but it gets old esp when she says it in a way that demands a response. This just occurred again, for example. I even explained why I chew gum, but regardless now she's all mad and there's tension. I totally don't need to be stressed/confronted about something innocuous that is helping me lose weight!!

Replies

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    There's something wrong with chewing gum in public? Guess I've been rude most of my life by not going somewhere private.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    It's your mother. I think you're actually handling it pretty well (although I'd be all over my mother chewing gum in public if she had a problem with me doing it). You can continue to point it out and maybe she will notice how annoying it is, but most likely, you're just going to have to pick up with it. Most of the time, I'd tell you to distance yourself, but you mother...
  • RiseHigher
    RiseHigher Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Exactly @senecarr ! I think she is not living in today's world. @auddii , I know. She just came in and blew up at me about it again, and it became this big argument, saying how uncomfortable it is for her to go anywhere with me with such "conflict". I said I know - it is - all I did was put a piece of gum in my mouth and said we'll go to the store after I am done running. Truly, I don't need the stress.

Frankly she has some issues with depression - not diagnosed but they are there. She holds in a lot of anger and I think it is just this spilling out. Seriously - why does it matter to her anyway if I chew gum outside, or not?? I was going running - who is really going to see me do it anyway? LOL!!!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    At some point in life you end up being the adult and they the child. You could stand up to her and explain, but it might cuase more trouble than its worth. Its a kop out, just smile and nod your head, then carry on doing whatever you want. It will annoy her.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    RiseHigher wrote: »
    Exactly @senecarr ! I think she is not living in today's world. @auddii , I know. She just came in and blew up at me about it again, and it became this big argument, saying how uncomfortable it is for her to go anywhere with me with such "conflict". I said I know - it is - all I did was put a piece of gum in my mouth and said we'll go to the store after I am done running. Truly, I don't need the stress.

Frankly she has some issues with depression - not diagnosed but they are there. She holds in a lot of anger and I think it is just this spilling out. Seriously - why does it matter to her anyway if I chew gum outside, or not?? I was going running - who is really going to see me do it anyway? LOL!!!

With that said, I agree she's crazy, no clue why it would be rude (or whatever) to chew gum in public unless you smacking loudly or just being obnoxious in general. It might be worth taking a step back and trying to see her a little less if she's causing you a lot of stress. (I'm currently avoiding calling my mother much because she's gone from annoyingly nagging to bat **** crazy now that I'm engaged and she wants to talk wedding planning ALL THE TIME...)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    RiseHigher wrote: »
    I chew gum to help with my weight loss. It sounds silly but it stops me from chewing on food and sometimes it causes me to forget I am even hungry until my next meal.

My Mom, however, regularly nit-picks me about me chewing gum in public (I'm 42 years old, btw). Sometimes she will even put out her hand for me to spit the gum out, like I am 5 years old. I don't do that, obviously, and have expressed my disinterest in her comments. She gets mad at me, saying she's, "Just trying to help or she wouldn't say anything," and acts like I am overreacting and I'm the one who is acting poorly.

I admit chewing gum in public isn't the best habit in the world (SHE does it too, though). However, it gets super old, and I feel like I can't say anything back because then I'm the problem again.

I feel like she's frustrated about something else and looking for a way to take it out on me. If I ask her that, she denies it.

As an aside, she also picks on my driving. Which is also frustrating, because normally when we're together, I'm driving HER to the grocery store or to run errands, etc. The last time I said, "You know you could always drive if you don't like the way I do it." She got mad at that, of course.

Just wondering what anyone else does. I guess I could ignore it but it gets old esp when she says it in a way that demands a response. This just occurred again, for example. I even explained why I chew gum, but regardless now she's all mad and there's tension. I totally don't need to be stressed/confronted about something innocuous that is helping me lose weight!!
    IMO, anyone you're with (regardless) is a reflection of that person's choice in character. I don't like to dress up and hardly do and it drives my DW bonkers sometimes. She dresses up nice all the time to look presentable and I on the other hand live in sweats and shorts and go EVERYWHERE in them. Personally I don't care if people mock my clothing or what I wear, but many times my DW says "are you going to wear that to __________? If she dresses nice and I look like a schlub, to her it's still a reflection on her. And society also sees it that way.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I minimize time spent with unpleasant people. If you really cannot do that, I'd suggest you act like Teflon and let the comments slide off. She is not going to change. If you're 42, my guess is that she is in her 60s and people rarely change their personalities by that point in time.
  • byrdiegrrrl
    byrdiegrrrl Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Do you live outside of America? I'm not being facious here. It's just that I've only ever heard the gum in public thing in countries like Singapore where, I believe, its illegal. And actually I think that's only if you spit it out. Why don't they just sell gum on the Black Market or back alleys somewhere then if its so sketcky to chew it in public? The real point here is that we all have to do things to achieve our goals that drive other people NUTS! I weigh everything I eat and won't eat something if I don't know what's in it. Now THAT'S irritating to people. But its what I have to do to stay sane. And if they don't like it they don't have to eat with me :)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    maybe it's not the gum but how you chew it?
    it's nails on chalkboard to some people. Some people's chewing can reduce me to tears because the sound is uncomfortable to me.
    Also, depression can lead to anxiety which can lead someone to be more sensitive to sound. so says my docs
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    It's your mom and having fights with her over gum is not worth it. Sometimes certain compromises are worth it. Just don't chew gum in public when she is with you. spit it out, do the groceries, return back home and pop in a new piece. Some battles are just not worth fighting. My mom really doesn't like it when I walk around the house barefoot during winter. She says seeing me step on the cold floor with my bare feet makes her feel cold, so I just stopped doing it when she is around and that particular problem was solved. As soon as she is out off fly my slippers.
  • dogcatac
    dogcatac Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    omg i cant stand when people chew gum in public. it makes me physically ill... like throwing up, headache, miserable.
  • RiseHigher
    Options
    Well I was talking to my brother-in-law about this and he suggested the not chewing gum thing too, but it seriously does help me on my diet and I am not really wanting to sabotage myself due to someone's opinion of me. I take her almost everywhere so it's not like a one-off thing.

Chewing gum also helps me with stress. I can tell when I'm stressed by the way I chew it. LOL her complaining about my chewing stresses me and makes me want to chew more. LOLLLLLL

I did realize when thinking about it today - she doesn't care for my running - and she wanted to go to the store and I said I'd take her after my run. So I'm guessing perhaps she was put off by that and took it out on the gum issue. Or, it could be something else I don't know about. I've read before that when someone criticizes you it's a reflection of them, not you.

I felt like for a long time there was this "don't ask don't tell" type of attitude about my running. If I just didn't talk about it and sort of kept it on the down-low I wouldn't get the negative attitudes. Will it be this way with secretly chewing gum now? GAH

The thing with the gum too is for example today - I wasn't even going to be around her while chewing it. I was going running so really who's going to see that anyway? And the other thing is, I could stop chewing the gum, but then she would probably just find something else to pick on. Like my driving. Or what I wear when I go running. My hair. And so on. If it's not one thing it's something else.

I guess I will just try to ignore her comments in the future but it's almost like she tries to get a response out of me so it's hard to ignore. I'm moving away in a few months so there's that too.
  • ARC1603
    ARC1603 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I think you've hit it on the head when you say if it wasn't the gum it would be something else!

My mum is like this. She picks up on things that are just so pointless and trivial. But she can be like a dog with a bone about it and will not let go! For example when we got married I told her I didn't see the point in chair covers for the reception. But Oh My God, the amount of times she would then bring up chaircovers, saying she would pay for them. I just ignore her now when she's being like that about something. I have two kids and enough to worry about without her!
  • TuffChixRule
    TuffChixRule Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    My mother is like your mom, OP, except that she usually makes empty threats (I'll disown or disinherit you) or sighs dramatically over little things, such as I allowed my teenage daughter to get colored streaks in her hair. And my hair, which is naturally curly, thick and generally unruly has ALWAYS been an issue with her. I always look "like Gravel Gertie" or some other cutting remark. I'm 48 and she's 82 so it won't ever change...however I got to the point where I'd had enough and told her so. We didn't speak for about two weeks but once we did the dynamic had shifted. Now she even apologizes once in a while when I point out how hurtful her words can be.
    You can't change your mom but perhaps if you confront her she may just bend a little. Good luck and don't let her comments about the gum chewing or your running derail you. :)
  • RiseHigher
    Options
    Thanks all. Yeah I'm 42, my Mom is 78, she won't change and I know this. I have confronted her but it just makes it worse - the family knows she likes to play the martyr. The gum thing did make my run go sort of bad today. I felt annoyed by it and couldn't focus on my first couple of intervals. But then I got into it and it was better. BTW I don't really chew gum while I run but I wanted to start snacking before my run so that's why I started chewing it.

I think when I move away the problem will go away. I'm the closest of my brother and sisters that she sees the most so she has opportunity. When I move away she won't know what I wear when I run, how my hair is, what I'm doing or not with my dog, if I'm using my right or left hand to use the turn signal, if I'm wearing perfume or IF I AM CHEWING GUM OR NOT LMAO!!! I'm just going to try to ignore the jabs before then as much as I can, and just realize it's probably not about me to begin with.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Finding this funny as my Mom does the same thing - uses "manners" as a weapon. My reaction is to make the situation worse. If she comments on my gum chewing I open mouth chew obnoxiously. She has now been conditioned to not make such comments.

...and now I'm reaching for gum.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your mom has some issues with control and manipulation. Keep chewing your gum if you fee it helps you. Let her be angry and upset. That's her choice. Her choice to be miserable is not your problem to solve for her. Not like you are actually doing anything that will cause her or anyone else any harm.
  • sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Is your mom GERMAN? My oma was just like this!!! She hated the gum and would pick apart everything, my poor mother was a hot mess around her.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    my mum picks on me too. and she says stuff and then backtracks and said she never said it at all (for example - when I started my current weight loss journey with my 5 meals a day and weight lifting I got all sorts of "OMG you're never going to lose weight if you eat all day long and make sure you don't end up looking like a bodybuilder blah blah blah - so-and-so did Weight Watchers/Light n' Easy/Jenny Craig and it's the ONLY thing that works just sign up for that. Don't eat breakfast, just have a cappuccino mid morning then lunch and dinner and you will lose weight..." (and so on and for forth). Then, just last week she goes "oh - i'm so happy to see how you've lost so much weight! You're doing it the right way, just like I told you to!"

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm - right.

She likes to control EVERYONE around her. My poor dad bears the brunt of it now as he's the only one left at home.

I have learnt to smile and nod and not get into arguments as I used to before. I just go "hmmm hmmmm. yes." but inside I'm seething.
  • RiseHigher
    Options
    Yes, she does have control issues! I just have to remember, "It's not about me..." and the limited time frame!!