New Guy

Options
Hi .... I'm brand new to MFP. Just downloaded the app today, so please bear with my mistakes. I gained 60 lbs. after having both knees replaced in '07& late '09. Pre -surgery, I was a 30-40 mile a week runner for many years.Post surgery,I gave up on a return to aerobic exercise until about 2 months ago. I started walking 1 mile,slowly. Now I'm doing 3.5-5 miles,5 days a week.I've lost about 10 lbs.,but now I'm ready to get down to buisness and get back to "running weight". My ultimate goal is to start running again. If anyone can offer suggestions to help me out, Please do .And if I'll offer help and encouragement any time I can.

Replies

• Carly666666
    Options
    I think if you have had such serious surgery maybe you should consult a physiotherapist before you jump into it all. I've had major issues with knee's and am getting close to a reconstruction so I went to phsyio and he gave me a bunch of safe exercises to do. Sounds like you have done really well so far losing 10lbs so keep up the good work just be careful.
  • chuckycheez
    Options
    Hi Carly, I went through physio for about 7 months total. Their advice is ,"Go as far as you can, but go slow". The new generation of implants are very durable, compaired to even 5 years ago. I think if I take it easy until I shed another 20 lbs or so.,I won't over load the knees.Be careful with that reconstruct, I think the key to successful joint surgery of any kind is pick the surgeon very, very carefully. Still a tough road, though!!