Need motivation to keep going, need to lose 30 lbs.

Options
I started cc last week and am down 1.5 pounds. I have about 25-30 pounds to lose total. Do you think this is a good start? I know they say 1-2 pounds per week for safe weight loss. I'm probably just being irrational but I want more gone!! haha! I feel like it is going to take forever to get to my goal weight. I am feeling so uncomfortable and fat right now!

For those of you that had/have a similar amount of weight to lose, how steady has it been? I need to keep going, right? When I got on the scale today and it was only 1.5 down I was thinking, "Great, I guess I need to cut out all carbs." But that isn't sustainable for me personally. CC has always been what has helped me in the past, and exercise. It's just a matter of sticking with it and not giving up! I am also exercising 30 minutes a day. Other than that I have a desk job Mon-Thurs so I'm not very active. I do have a 2 year old at home so I am always up running around with him. But at work, not so much. Thanks for any positive feedback!

Replies

• Matt200goal
    Matt200goal Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I've been MFPing for a little over a month and have gone from 263 to 247, but....see below about a realization I came to this morning. You can do it - just don't be over-aggressive. Trust in "the process."

After an initially very positive & rapid weigh loss for the first 3 1/2 weeks or so, I've struggled this last week and a half to stay under calorie goal, been binging at night (going way over) and weight loss has plateaued and bounced a little. Initial loss goal was 2lbs/week (sounded pretty aggressive) - and actual loss was more than that (but demonstrably not sustainable). Been doing some reading in the message boards & going to try not to be my typical "Brute Force & Ignorance, Just Try Harder" self, attempt to apply some "Tactical Patience" and advice to others in a similar rut. Have modified my goal pace to 1 lb/week. Hopefully, by eating more throughout the day I'll put myself on a sustainable path & quit the end of day binging. Also, making an effort to get better/more accurate with logging by using the recently purchased digital scale.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Safe weight loss is the only way, in my opinion. Any of these quick fix "drop the pounds fast" diet plans are absolute money-making nonsense schemes. Of course we all want quick results, we'd be abnormal if we didn't want to get this process and over and done with - but it simply doesn't work that way. Eating at a sensible deficit whilst not restricting foods you love will actually enhance your chance of it being a permanent change. As soon as we restrict, we automatically go into 'desperation mode' and start binge eating. Not good!

I've lost a total of 30lbs to date and it took me just over 4 months. I worked very hard, I exercised regularly and I kept my head up and my mind focused the whole time. I didn't cut a single carb and I didn't do anything drastic - simply a healthy, sensible and safe calorie deficit. I dropped a significant amount in the first 4 weeks which is completely normal but after that, it was 2lb maximum per week and never any more. Now i'm down to 0.5lb per week and absolutely happy with that.

I also have a desk job but it won't stop you from reaching your goal. Your exercise plans sound brilliant. Wishing you the very best of luck here.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Weight loss will be faster at the beginning, but it will slow down, so although you want it to be faster be warned that having unrealistic expectations can lead to frustration and people giving up.

2lbs a week is more suited to soemone who is obese, whereas the amoint you have to lose isnt much so 1lb a week would be more realistic reducing to .5lb a week later. Theres nothing to stop uoi going for a bit more, but for each 1lb a week you wnat to lose then that will mean a -500 caloire deficit.

You need to learn some patience. 30 weeks is not forever. the importnat point is that you get to target.

You dont need to cut all carbs you just have to be at deficit.
  • jswede1149
    jswede1149 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    This is a lifestyle change. I've dropped 137 pounds in 4.5 years. I want to drop the last 18 pounds to land near the low end of the healthy weight range. I would love to see them go tomorrow but it just takes time. While I tend to stay away from pasta, bread, pizza, desserts, etc, it is about the calories in - burnt calories.

Another benefit of a slow lose is the ability to save for new clothes. You can drop two sizes with that weight loss

Can you exercise more than the 30 minutes a day? It can be as simple as taking the stroller and walk for an hour or run with him around a playground.
  • honeybee739
    honeybee739 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I work really long hours. I have to be at work at 7:30 a.m and I don't get home until 6. Then there is dinner, bath, all that fun parenting stuff. Like I said, I am up running around as soon as I get home until my son goes to bed...I'm not counting that towards burning. 30 minutes is all I am willing to do. I absolutely loathe working out any longer than that and give up. We do go on walks and bike rides. He has a little stroller that attaches to my bike. But I don't really count that either since it's not difficult. ha! I only count 30 minutes of focused workout time.

Yes, I do need to be more patient! haha! Thanks for all of the responses!
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I work really long hours. I have to be at work at 7:30 a.m and I don't get home until 6. Then there is dinner, bath, all that fun parenting stuff. Like I said, I am up running around as soon as I get home until my son goes to bed...I'm not counting that towards burning. 30 minutes is all I am willing to do. I absolutely loathe working out any longer than that and give up. We do go on walks and bike rides. He has a little stroller that attaches to my bike. But I don't really count that either since it's not difficult. ha! I only count 30 minutes of focused workout time.

No one can blame you for not doing more than 30 minutes - you're a busy Mom! 30 minutes is MORE than enough! Well done :]
  • jkloskey24
    jkloskey24 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey honeybee - I'm in the same boat! I am just starting my weight loss journey.. Officially starting next week Monday, but trying to adapt better habits this week so that my body doesn't go in complete shock next week. I plan to do the 21 day fix for workouts (only 30 min workouts), and I've considered giving the Shakeology a try. I also have a 2 year old (almost 3 year old) boy at home and work full time, so I know all too well that it's not the easiest thing. What are you doing for your workouts? Are you meal planning & prepping?
  • honeybee739
    Options
    I plan my meals, yes. I can't just eat on a whim. I used to be a big beach body fan...did the shakeology thing and all of that but I don't anymore. I have found cheaper ways to get the same job done! haha! I actually found this person on youtube named Jessica Smith and she has TONS of free workouts. So I go through her list of things and make a plan for myself. She has workouts ranging from 15 min-1 hour. So far I have just stuck with the 30 minute ones, because that is all I am willing to do. I pick 3 different cardio type workouts to do a week and 2 strength based workouts and then 1 yoga/stretching workout. I have one rest day where I don't worry about getting a workout in. I really like her workouts. Not too easy, not too hard. Definitely feel the burn/soreness a day or 2 after. She has a great personality too.
  • honeybee739
    Options
    I am doing Total Body Chisel today, Latin Spice Walk tomorrow, Fusion Band on Thursday, Cardio Fusion Flow on Friday and Yoga for back pain on Sat or Sun. I don't have back pain...it was just a 30 minute yoga one I found and I figured it would be good. She has a lot to choose from so I make my plan. I don't do the same workout twice in 2 weeks, that's how many she has! I get bored easily. ha!
  • jkloskey24
    jkloskey24 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree on the Shakeology! The price really got me, and I know I've had success in the past making my own smoothies at home. I'll definitely have to check out Jessica Smith - I love short work outs and like variety as well!
  • kristinels
    kristinels Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6", 44 yo, and have lost 30.6 lbs since Feb. 9th, 2015. So it took me 7 months with about a 300-500 calorie/day deficit based on my TDEE and no special diet - I ate whatever I wanted in moderation and tried hardest to stay below my sodium number and at or above my protein number. I also incorporated a mixture of cardio and strength exercise 5-6 days/week. All this to say that I think that 1.5 lbs is a great start! I do know how you feel though because I'm pretty sure that is as good or better than my week 1 loss, and I do remember feeling like I was hoping for more. But it has been fairly steady and the weight has come off and now I'm just glad I stuck with it! I hope you do too! :)
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options

I've been MFPing since April 2011, after my older son was born. I had a lot of pregnancy weight to lose, and I lost it all and then some. I re-gained what I lost and then some while pregnant with my younger son, and here I am today. Except he's 2. So, yeah, with two kids, I lost a lot of the easy structuring I had for the first go-round. I have about 30 lbs to lose, maybe more, maybe less, depending on how I look/feel when I get down towards that goal. I'd rather be muscular and weigh more than the reverse, so that's something I'm trying to figure out how to get done.

Like you, my days are busy. I get up at 5:30, leave the house at 6:45 to take my older son to school, then work until I pick my kids up, get home between 4 and 5, then have to feed them and entertain them until they go to bed. Sometimes, depending on his schedule, my husband gets home when I do, but most days it's closer to the younger one's bedtime, and sometimes I'm on my own until past their bedtimes. (We work together, but he does the stuff that requires travel and late hearings.) I don't sit down until about 7:30/8PM, and I go up to bed between 9 and 9:30 (see above re: waking up at 5:30AM). So working out is tough to fit in. The upside is that I don't feel the need to eat constantly because I'm constantly busy, but it can be hard on my ability to make good choices when I'm on the go with both kids.

Anyway, all this is to say that I hear you, and I get it. I admit that I would be disappointed in 1.5 lbs the first week, too. Even though any other time period, that would be more than acceptable for the amount of weight you and I both have to lose, but you always expect to post a big loss that first week, am I right?

Keep in mind that the big initial loss is (1) usually mostly water weight and (2) oftentimes the result of a drastic change from what you were doing prior to starting. So either you weren't retaining that much water when you started - which is a good thing - and/or you didn't go drastic - which is also a good thing, as it bodes well for future success in both weight loss and in maintenance. I've found that accountability and sustainability are key in both eating and exercise!

So stick with it! You know it works, but it's hard to have patience. I know, as I'm going through it right now as well.