breastfeeding

Options
hi I'm returning user and I'm currently breastfeeding. I remember seeing somewhere on here that breastfeeding was a question on here. I cant remember where that is. I'm wondering if I can still use this site to help me lose weight healthy and still maintain my ability to breastfeed for my child but to do it all in a healthy way for both me and her. tks.

Replies

• adjones87
    adjones87 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm just returning after having a baby too, also breastfeeding. There used to be the capability to add calories and just type in a negative number, but it is no longer letting me type a negative symbol in front. I have set my calories at 1800, 1300 for me to lose weight and 500 to account for breastfeeding (I am 5'4", would like to be 140lbs, I was 168lbs pre-pregnancy but I still had 14lbs of pregnancy weight from my then 9 month old). I think that is a safe number. But once I start working out AND breastfeeding, I may bump it up to 2000 a day. I mainly use MFP to make sure that I am eating a balanced diet, to hold myself accountable, and to get a basic idea of my calories. It is by no means a perfect system, just a great guide. I think you may still benefit from it. Good thing it's free, right?lol
  • TierraNoelle
    TierraNoelle Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Very similar here. Just joined, my son is 6 weeks old. I also have boys almost 4 and 6. My goal is 145 lbs. I was 150 pre-pregnancy delivered at like 202 I think. I'm currently 168 at 6 weeks postpartum and I'm breastfeeding as well. It's putting me at 1200 calories/day so what I've been doing is adding 500 calories of breastfeeding as exercise/calories out each day which then puts me at 1700. I've only been eating around 1400 though.
  • SoMotivated
    SoMotivated Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Same boat, Ive been exclusivly breastfeeding my 4 month old and have been aiming for 1800 calories... I went to the gym one time and my supply took a big dive... I got scared and stopped going . Will it level out or will I have to wait until I wean to get back in the gym?
  • lsnorthcutt
    lsnorthcutt Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    SoMotivated, I am not a fitness expert, but I have been trained in breastfeeding and have breastfeed 2 of my own. Is it possible that your cycles are trying to start back up? Around 4-5 months, I would notice that every 2 weeks supply would drop for a couple day sand then return. Make sure you stay hydrated when you work out. TierraNoelle, I would say that 1400 calories while breastfeeding is probably not enough. The 1700 is already a deficit of your energy expenditure and you will likely still lose weight at that intake. 1400 you are eating minus the 500 your are burning puts you below the 1200 calorie minimum.
  • lsnorthcutt
    lsnorthcutt Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    ^^ great resource.