Deadlift Form Critique and Question on Barbell Row

Options
Here's a video of me yesterday doing a deadlift (140lbs). Any tips on form?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYBOynUmOgQ

And a question on the barbell row. I'm doing Stronglifts 5x5 if it matters but on the bent over barbell row do you bring your elbows back towards your bum/wall behind you, or do you bring your elbows out to the side/towards the walls beside you? I can't ever quite tell what they are doing in the videos as they use big plates that block your view.

Thank you!

Replies

• MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    No critiques or help?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Deadlift looks good. Watch your breathing. Can't tell if you're exhaling while completing the concentric contraction (going up). Holding your breath too long can cause you to pass out/get dizzy.

On barbell rows, elbows in emphasizes more on lats. Elbows out emphasizes more on rear delts and rhomboids as well as traps.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • OsricTheKnight
    OsricTheKnight Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I find it a bit hard to tell if your lower back is rounding a bit at the bottom of your DL. Maybe get a trainer to check that over in person.

OTOH, @ninerbuff knows more about this stuff than I and so if he says you look good then you're probably golden :)

Osric
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    You've got a high torso angle at the start, like on a squat. Which isn't necessarily bad, but it emphasizes different muscles than the lower angle of a typical deadlift.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Everything looks perfect to me. Your lift looks fluid and straight. The only thing I see that may be distracting you from better form is the mirror in front of you. Do you think your neck can be more neutral? You really make it look easy.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Looks pretty good to me as well. You may try taking your shoes off. They appear to be running shoes?
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    You seem to be leaning back a bit to get the bar started instead of pushing up with the legs...may just be my imagination..it's subtle. You can get away with that at lighter weights, but you'll stall trying to do that as your get further above BW. On the way down looks like you're bending your legs too early -- I can see the bar bumping forward off of your knee on the way down. Easier on your back, but, again, it's gonna bite you at heavier weights. All in all, 'tho -- good form.
  • MysticRealm
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will keep in mind what everyone said, but glad it looks relatively good. My shoes are running shoes. Do you think that's impeding me?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will keep in mind what everyone said, but glad it looks relatively good. My shoes are running shoes. Do you think that's impeding me?

You should lift in flat shoes, for sure.
  • beatua1
    beatua1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

You should lift in flat shoes, for sure.

Flat shoes, or just as good if not better, no shoes. I deadlift with bare feet.
  • MysticRealm
    Options
    Do you think it's a big deal at the weights I am currently doing, or is it more of a big deal once I get to bigger weights?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Pretty much a perfect deadlift in my opinion.

Pull your elbows straight back for a barbell row/pendlay row.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Minimalist shoes, weight lifting shoes, or barefoot. The cushion on running shoes and impede balance and correct pressure on your feet.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• supadux
    supadux Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Your deadlifts looks reasonably sound and there aren't any problems I see that would likely lead to any injuries.

Keeping your neck in line with your body and concentrating on the bar taking a slightly straighter path upwards would tie your form together and progress your lift a bit more. Are you lifting double overhand or with a mixed grip?

One of the cues with the start of a deadlift is to bring the chest up and out and engage the lats by pulling on the bar and thinking "long arms," this preloads the upper body and forces the initial power of the lift into the lower drivetrain of the body where it belongs.

Lifting in some flatter, less compliant shoes would also help you, converse chucks are very flat and I've done a good share of lifting in them myself with good results.

As far as pendlay rows go, I split the difference and have my elbows somewhere in between in and out (closer to in), but your experience will differ depending on where your shoulders sit rotationally, range of motion and form discipline is most important as it's easy to bring your elbows in when you're fatigued and trying to get the last couple of reps in.

Great effort with your lifts, 140lb is a decent deadlift and if you refine your form there's no reason you couldn't hit 220+ by the end of the year.

Best of luck!

• DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Tuck your chin, other than that they look great.
  • MysticRealm
    Options
    Thanks for the great tips everyone. Today is a lift day so I will practice it!