Burning Pain in ankle/lower Calf

Options
I'm not entirely sure this is the right place to ask this question buuuut I figured I'd give it a shot. I walk every day after work but about a mile in I get a terrible burning sensation in my right ankle/lower calf, it's the same sort of sensation you get when you're lifting and you start to get that burn. Well I was wondering if anyone experiences this and just what in the world it is. Side note: I have an incredibly high arch which I believe affects my form. Is it possible my form is my problem?

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Could be your form, could be your shoes, could be lack of strength in your calf, or perhaps there is a medical issue (you should at least consult your physician).

Do you stretch after your walk? There are several good stretches for you calves (and legs) to do after you exercise (Google or Youtube is your friend for this). Hold each one for at least 30 seconds.
  • TheFo1dOut
    TheFo1dOut Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks @dewd2 I do try to stretch and I've changed up my shoes at least 3 or 4 times, I'm wondering if I need to go to one of those specialty stores to get fitted with the right shoe
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    I get this sometimes when I am running, usually during the first 15 minutes. If I slow down and walk for 10 minutes it goes away. I stretch before and after the gym. Mine is right above the achilles tendon. I'm curious to know what it is, as well!
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Yes, I highly recommend a good running store (even for walking). They will work with you and support you after the sale. You may pay a little more but in the end it is worth it.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Where is the pain - on the outer side or inner side?

Which shoes do you have?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    TheFo1dOut wrote: »
    Thanks @dewd2 I do try to stretch and I've changed up my shoes at least 3 or 4 times, I'm wondering if I need to go to one of those specialty stores to get fitted with the right shoe

Yes but make sure they fit u for walking shoes not running shoes. Some but not all are good for both. The heel is different and the flex & stiffness is different. Also consider orthotics such as Smartfeet.

I was fitted incorrectly last time, suffered great pain for smonth, took the shoes back, and fitted with a different type of shoe & orthotic. 80% of my disappeared instantly.

Good luck.
  • gggirl67
    gggirl67 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    When ever I experience foot pain it usually means time for new shoes ... They only have so much life to them. Good luck!
  • TheFo1dOut
    Options
    @Cherimoose The pain is on the outside it's just weird I don't get it any time other than when I'm walking, I've never gotten it walking for instance at the mall or in my work shoes, just when i'm getting my workout in.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    make sure you are also hydrated. seems strange but it can help with cramping.
    if you get walking shoes, make sure you tell them it's for walking and what you will be walking on (ie track, trail, sidewalk). my walking gait is nearly opposite of my running gait. so different shoes are needed.
    stretching is essential.
    you can try also foam rolling the area, or use a tennis ball
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I have chronic plantyr fasciitis, fallen arches and nerve damage. I keep frozen Pepsi bottles of water to ice my feet down with in the fridge and ice them whenever I watch TV. I also stretch them when waiting for my train and subways. Yesterday someone thought I was passing out! I looked at her and counted aloud 79, 80, and she didn't get it so I explained. Much easier than that time in Paris a man thought I was passing out. I had to say "invalid pied". I thanked them both for caring!

Also, are you getting enough is it magnesium? If not eat accordingly.
  • rosammr
    rosammr Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    A chilles problem? Get it checked
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I had that same issue for a time when I had bought new running shoes. They didn't support properly. Go get fitted! :)
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    TheFo1dOut wrote: »
    @Cherimoose The pain is on the outside it's just weird I don't get it any time other than when I'm walking, I've never gotten it walking for instance at the mall or in my work shoes, just when i'm getting my workout in.

What might be happening is that since you have high arches, your calves are probably tight.. plus your shoes likely have a raised heel (most shoes do), which activates the calves even more. So my suggestion is 1) switch to a zero-heel shoe (Keds, skateboard shoes, Merrells, etc), and 2) stretch your calves at least 4 times a day. Post your results after a few days. :+1:
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I get it when running too. It's awful. I think its a combination of bad shoes and not enough strength in your calves. But I would say consult a professional....
  • pinkgumdrop123
    pinkgumdrop123 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I was having similar issues. I have low arches and underpronation. Finding the right shoes and stretching and ice has helped a lot.
  • TheFo1dOut
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm going to make sure I'm stretching more before and after and see if I can get some relief. The idea of wearing totally flat shoes sounds almost counterproductive but when I think about it, I NEVER have this problem in my ballet flats at work or in my flat sandals, seems only to happen when I wear athletic running/walking shoes oddddddddd