Hello, there!

aimisan
aimisan Posts: 6 Member
edited September 2015 in Introduce Yourself
Hello, all! My name is Aimee, and I'm 23. I currently weigh 250 lbs. which has been my approximate weight for several years (I have lost/gained back 15-20lbs several times). I am a former athlete who used to be fit and full of life. I have always had an unhealthy relationship with food (it was either for comfort or for training in sports).

I gained the majority of my weight in college, where junk food was cheap and all too available. I studied, ate, and slept. I also wen through a damaging breakup and the loss of several family members; I turned to food for easy comfort. icom55vt9r8u.jpg
I have gained about 70 lbs. in 5 years.

I would like to lose the weight that has been keeping me anti-social, scared, and anxious for years. I have a long-term goal of 100 lbs. to lose, but plan to take it 25 lbs. at a time through healthy eating and exercise. I am also considering using T25 or Beach Body systems, so any advice on those would be great.

I would love to make some connections with like minded people! Just to give an idea of who I am: I am a graduate student and first year teacher. I love music, art, movies, cooking (when I have the time to do it right!), reading, board games (esp. Settlers of Catan, etc.).

I struggle to love myself most days, but I feel I am conquering the beast of low self-esteem. With the added bonus of losing weight I hope to see my life open up in ways I never imgagined it could. Let's fight this battle together, people!

Peace and Love,
Aimee

Replies

• Matt200goal
    Matt200goal Posts: 481 Member
    Welcome to MFP! I retired from the military -> active lifestyle & work into a much more sedentary one -> gained 60+lbs. Been MFPing for a little over a month: Started 263, currently 247, with a goal of 200. MFP works, if I do. :)
  • aimisan
    Thanks Matt! Any advice you have would be so appreciated. I love the calorie counter already; I don't have to keep a written diary of what I'm eating, I can just use my phone! What's been your favourite part of using MFP?
  • janeraborges
    janeraborges Posts: 5 Member
    Hey girl! Way to go! Setting your mind is the first step. I hear us with the food issue. I gained 50 lbs after moving to Texas and having two kids. I have lost about 20lbs right now and starting to do 21 day fix to work on nutrition. I'm not an expert but willing to be a friend.
  • aimisan
    Thank you so much! With a little help from friends we can totally do this. I'm no expert either!! I can't imagine doing this with having kids too....you're a strong woman!!
  • Matt200goal
    aimisan wrote: »
    Thanks Matt! Any advice you have would be so appreciated. I love the calorie counter already; I don't have to keep a written diary of what I'm eating, I can just use my phone! What's been your favourite part of using MFP?

Not sure that I can call it "favorite," but it has certainly made me much more honest/accountable to myself. I do like seeing the weightloss line go down (& conversely have to force myself not to get frustrated when it goes up. Weight Loss is NOT linear! :) )

Real favorite - it's working!
  • gymth0ttie
    gymth0ttie Posts: 51 Member
    Food is always a comfort for me too. Starbucks drinks or even when I'm at work (I work in a mall) so I always pick up food on my break. There's tons of bad options for me to turn to. My best advice is 1) don't keep "bad" foods around the house. Out of sight, out of mind
  • Matt200goal

Only advice I have: trust & follow the process. Recommend getting a digital scale (I just got one. Had been "eyeballing it," and I was underestimating the food size/portion) & log everything!
  • aimisan

Not sure that I can call it "favorite," but it has certainly made me much more honest/accountable to myself. I do like seeing the weightloss line go down (& conversely have to force myself not to get frustrated when it goes up. Weight Loss is NOT linear! :) )

Real favorite - it's working!

I am looking forward to the accountability aspect as well!
  • aimisan

Only advice I have: trust & follow the process. Recommend getting a digital scale (I just got one. Had been "eyeballing it," and I was underestimating the food size/portion) & log everything!

As far as a plan to follow, do you reccommend any particular systems?
  • HubbysDearest
    HubbysDearest Posts: 14 Member
    Hi Aimisan, I am new here too and am already encouraged by your positive attitude. Thanks for sharing and I am looking forward to seeing your progress.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Hi Aimee :]
    Good to see you here and well done for getting back on track mentally - this is the first step and you've taken it so technically the hard part is over. I too have (had) an unhealthy relationship with food and have done for as long as I can remember - MFP has really helped me try and deal with those issues and a little at a time, I am learning to see food for what it is - fuel. It's fine to enjoy it - but moderation is key. Your personal battle with food will become less and less apparent as time goes on, you'll find so much support here to help you.

You're a beautiful young woman and you don't need to be afraid, anxious or depressed. You can take control of your life and you can do it in a way that will empower you, not deprive you. Take it one pound at a time, be kind to yourself and stay positive - you'll go far. Wishing you the very best of luck!
  • IndependentMe
    IndependentMe Posts: 182 Member
    Hi There, I am much older than you (49) but have suffered all my life with gains and losses. You are a beautiful person, and you should not let your weight gain ruin your self esteem. Instead, make this journey with head held high, because you are facing your challenges and conquering them! I just started Focus T25, I have 2 teens and a full time job, and do not have a lot of time. I am on day 3 of alpha and find it challenging enough to break a good swear and feel it in my muscles through the day. And I am doing the modification! Good luck, you can do this! Friend me if you wish. I record my workout daily, perhaps we can keep each other inspired to get that 25 mins in every day.
  • aimisan
    To all three wonderful women who just commented: thank you so much for the positive words of encouragement. I am already so thankful for deciding to join MFP! I look forward to taking this journey with all of you. Please contact me if you ever need a kind word or accountability partner or a great recipe for gluten free cookies. (I have a few!)
  • Matt200goal

As far as a plan to follow, do you reccommend any particular systems?

Aimee - in terms of a plan, the MFP "basic plan" is pretty simple: CICO, "Calories In, Calories Out." If CI<CO, you'll lose weight. Personally - and you'll have to find one that works for you, personally - I try to go with lean meats for proteins, as much of my carbs from fruits & veggies and not processed foods, and the fat just seems to "take care of itself." I don't always hit my "macros" but at this point I'm not really worrying about - mainly just focused on CICO for now.

Another recently learned lesson for me - set realistic goals! Initially I set a pretty aggressive loss goal/pace and was beating it. But it wasn't sustainable - I was binging and then "beating myself up" for failing (at an unsustainable goal). Reset my goal pace & trying again - it's a marathon, not a sprint.
  • janeraborges
    janeraborges Posts: 5 Member
    Ok I need help with accountability!!! I started a new job and have fallen off my 21 day fix. I can't seem to get going again