Marinades and how to factor them in

Options
JRandall57
JRandall57 Posts: 1 Member
edited September 2015 in Recipes
What are some low calorie marinades you use? I'm having trouble finding a marinade I'm comfortable using while being able to factor it in to my macros. Plain grilled chicken just isn't cutting it anymore. Can anyone supply a recipe and how I can apply it to my macros? Thanks!

Replies

• meganlhuang
    meganlhuang Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use Mrs. Dash on a lot of my stuff and it helps. If you really rub it in and leave it on overnight it's much better.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I don't track my macros, but would 1t of marinade (even if it's salty or sweet) really throw off your day?
  • Mom2Birds
    Mom2Birds Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't worry about marinades unless it is the really thick and sticky kind. I figure that it sits in it, and 99% of it drains away, or drips off during cooking. What's left isn't that much to worry about for me....
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I usually add 2 tablespoons of it and call it a day. Probably overestimating, but whatever.
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,526 Member
    Options
    Off the top of my head, I'd suggest weighing the meat before you marinade it, then after, then subtracting the first number from the second. You'll be left with the weight of the marinade, and you should be able to figure out the nutrition from there.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Off the top of my head, I'd suggest weighing the meat before you marinade it, then after, then subtracting the first number from the second. You'll be left with the weight of the marinade, and you should be able to figure out the nutrition from there.

Yeah that's the most accurate way to do it if you actually weigh your meat raw... I usually marinate several servings at once and just don't want to bother with all the math to figure out how many grams my serving actually has once it's cooked.. lol.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    i never bothered tracking marinades...majoring in the minors as far as i'm concerned. very little marinade actually sticks to or is absorbed by the meat...seems like overkill to me.
  • SharonDenzien
    SharonDenzien Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Instead of marinating I've been brining my chicken and pork. Add meat to sealable bag and cover with cool water. Add salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder. Maybe a couple teaspoons of all. I don't measure. Let brine at least 3 hours. 6-8 even better. It is the most juicy and tender meat. Use in whatever recipe you want but doesn't add calories. Can add whatever seasoning you want but salt is important to add some flavor and draw the flavors into the meat.