Running help!

Options
I can't seem to get over my hump. I started walk/jogging about two months ago. Sometimes I feel like a rockstar and can jog about a mile before allowing myself to walk a little. Other times, I barely do 1/2 a mile before I just want to throw in the towel completely. I usually do about 2.25 miles per walk/jog, regardless of how crappy and exhausted I feel. I want to be able to jog a full 2 miles (eventually 5 but start with 2) and feel good every time I put on my sneakers. Here are some stats about me that might help y'all give advice:

26/5'4"/F/130 lbs
Avg. HR on jog: 155 BPM (from FitBit Charge HR)
No workout routine before 2 months ago
Sleep 6-7 hours/night
Jog in the morning before breakfast (about 5 AM)
Diet consists of meats, veggies, and legumes

Should I try a pre-workout supplements? Would that be like "cheating" if I do (since I'm not making my body workout naturally)? If not supplements, anything I can do to help push myself harder? Please help!

Replies

• JeffGDDG
    JeffGDDG Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I think you're doing fine. If anything I might eat a little bit before going. I like a piece of toast with peanut butter. Or maybe a banana. Preworkout wise I don't think you'd want anything at this point beyond a cup of coffee or tea. Just a little wake me up.
  • gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Next run try and keep that HR below 140. If that means slow jog, so be it. But go for 3 miles (it's so slow and easy you'll think, 3 miles should be cake, right)?

8 miles @ 124 today - low hr doesn't mean no work. Don't feel guilty or that you're "not working".
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I have been running for a while now. The first 1/2 - 1 mile is ALWAYS hell. ALWAYS. It sucks, IMO. I feel like I need at least 1/2 a mile to "work out the kinks" and start to feel OK. Once I hit my stride, I do fine and can easily finish my long runs (usually 6-7 miles). But honestly, for me...that first 1/2 mile BLOWS.

Force yourself to get through it (assuming your not in an real pain...just dragging). stopping is NOT an option. You'll get used to it and it will get easier over time.

You may want to try eating before running. I don't. I generally run fasted (and find that I feel better when I do so), but many people swear by eating a bit before a run.
  • carlyp79
    carlyp79 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm into week 7 of the Couch to 5k, but am doing it on treadmill to lessen the impact on my joints (bad back).
    Previous to starting this I did 1 min jog, 1 min walk but was very sporadic. When I follow a program I tend to push myself further because when I 'listen' to my body, im done in 10 minutes.
    I keep my pace slow, even if it feels silly. I know it will improve over time. This morning I jogged for 25 minutes at the same pace and 7 weeks ago I couldnt do that.
    I have also followed the same program for outdoors, and had great success.
    Good luck.
  • brittfj
    brittfj Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm in the army, we run all.the.time.
    First mile is always awful, but after that you get a groove going. Like gdyment said, try jogging to see if you can hit you 2 mile mark then increase. Don't get discouraged, you'll get there.
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I agree with with gydment that you should try running at a lower heart rate - slower pace. I started out real slow and over the last few months I have gained speed without really trying to since I am working more on distance (10k.) I can't say that every run that I have feels good, some days I struggle and other days seem like a breeze. I am sure other runners will agree.

Also, like mkakids mentioned usually the first half mile or mile seems to be the hardest but once you find your groove it feels much better.

You may try a light snack before your run; I prefer Dannon's light n fit greek vanilla yogurt with some PB2 mixed n with it when I am planning on running a few miles. It seems to sit well with my stomach and give the energy needed to make it through my run.

Keep on running and enjoy!
  • LadyMcClure
    LadyMcClure Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Today I just jogged slowly, did an extra mile, and felt great afterwards. You're advice was spot on!
  • LadyMcClure
    LadyMcClure Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    *your advice. Damn autocorrect.
  • SailorSarah311
    SailorSarah311 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I make a running playlist on my iPod. I start off with a moderate paced song. Then I add a couple of fast paced songs. Then back down to a moderate paced one. See the pattern? You run to the beat of the music. Most songs are between 3-4 minutes. It will give your heart a chance to catch up or slow down when needed. You can finish your run with a slow song or 2. That way you can help your heart rate to ease itself down to a good resting place. Once you've done a running playlist for so long you can up the game. Change music around or add new tunes.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Push yourself harder. No reason a woman your age and size shouldn't be able to run 2 miles.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    You want to "feel good every time I put in my sneakers"? Hmm, LOTS of times, I don't feel up for my run/swim, whatever. But you go anyway. Sounds like you're a regular person who is struggling sometimes, feeling awesome others. Totally normal. Just keep at it.