Eating just once a day

Options
Do you ever do this? I didn't eat today (was busy at work), and now I've just ordered about 1800cals at chillis (shrimp fajitas and cookie/icecream dessert).this will probably be all I eat today, and I don't even feel bad about it.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    As long as it fits your lifestyle and addressing your nutritional requirements then you are good to go. Many people might find it hard to address protein requirements only doing one meal.
  • sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Do you ever do this? I didn't eat today (was busy at work), and now I've just ordered about 1800cals at chillis (shrimp fajitas and cookie/icecream dessert).this will probably be all I eat today, and I don't even feel bad about it.
    Yes when Red Lobster was the destination and also a local sushi place, LOL

• Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Yes, this is my life. I love a big dinner. I do have an afternoon snack because I'm cooking or prepping for dinner.
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    Not really but if I do then I would eat a lot to make up for it
  • ajmurray1234
    ajmurray1234 Posts: 163 Member
    Options

I say do what works for you. Sometimes we get so busy, that one meal is all we have time for. And Kudos for you for not feeling bad about it. :)
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options

I say do what works for you. Sometimes we get so busy, that one meal is all we have time for. And Kudos for you for not feeling bad about it. :)

Thanks you!!
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    As a lifestyle, starving & bingeing is generally not considered healthy,
    but as a once in a while thing it shouldn't be a problem.
    If it fits in your calories for the day, and you're getting the nutrients you need, have at it.
  • dinosaurparty
    dinosaurparty Posts: 185 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I used to be able to do that. I called it my 'latte' diet. I'd have a whole milk latte for breakfast, and that would tide me over until about 4 (early dinner, as I was up at 5am).

It... sort of worked? There was like a 20% chance that I'd get hungry between dinner and bedtime and binge. My diet was also pretty carb-heavy, and low on veggies. I lost a couple lbs though.

These days I prefer a big breakfast usually. I also seem to have more severe symptoms of low blood sugar when I'm hungry, so I try to eat multiples times per day. I dont think people could stand to be around me if I were hangry all the time.

Do what works best for you?
  • AspenDan
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    As a lifestyle, starving & bingeing is generally not considered healthy,
    but as a once in a while thing it shouldn't be a problem.
    If it fits in your calories for the day, and you're getting the nutrients you need, have at it.

Well I often "starve" (fast) between 9pm and 4pm..but I'm usually good about eating nutrient rich meals after 5pm, and hitting my calorie goals for the day....but today, chillis it is! Haha.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Look at Intermittent Fasting -- there is a Group here. Also Google Lean Gains.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    As long as it fits your lifestyle and addressing your nutritional requirements then you are good to go. Many people might find it hard to address protein requirements only doing one meal.

+1
  • Werk2Eat
    Werk2Eat Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I have been eating once a day for almost 10 years. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warrior_diet
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I wish I could eat only once a day.... But if I workout on an empty stomach I don't get as good of a workout in. But I eat 800 calories during the day and then at night I eat an 800 - 900 calorie dinner.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    personally, i'd have all kinds of issues ranging from blood sugar to who knows what...
  • AspenDan
    Options
    hi135 wrote: »
    How do you function during the day at work without food? Are you consuming any liquids?

I drink plenty of liquids including black coffee and mio water..otherwise I just stay busy and avoid food because I practice intermittent fasting.
  • abrooks54
    abrooks54 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    No problem with it at all.
  • Sophlilcady
    Sophlilcady Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I don't fast all day, but I'm generally not hungry until dinner time, so I have a small breakfast (a piece of fruit) a small lunch (a meal replacement bar/shake, or eggs on toast) then at dinner time I have plenty of calories for whatever I feel like.
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Not me. I'm an eat 300 calories 5 times a day person. That works best for me. Otherwise I either feel too full or too empty. But, hey, if it works for you that's what matters!
  • cmoni2
    cmoni2 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Yup, I did that for many years while I focused on my career, and eating only one large meal a day has affected my health negatively. Breakfast was always 2 to 3 cups of coffee and then I would enjoy a large dinner for a number of years in my late 30's and early 40's. The lack of nutrients throughout the day threw my insulin levels crazy and my body learned to hold onto the nutrition it got only once, late in the day. The result is now I am overweight and pre-diabetic. I always eat breakfast now and eat every 3 to 4 hours. If I get "busy" and get to the 5th hour without food, I now consider it a "food emergency"! I understand how so many people who work so hard find it difficult to eat regularly throughout the day, but it is a necessity for optimum health and good work performance.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I don't think this is a problem at all :]
    You're still under your deficit, you're fine!

Having said that, I wouldn't make a habit of it simply because it's nice to spread those calories out over the day for contentment reasons alone! I'd be very tempted to over-eat, but maybe that's just me and my huge appetite hehe ;)