44 + Hypothyroidism= diligence on MFP!

Options
Hi all, I'm back here after a few years ago. Then, I struggled with weight at 190. Now, I've topped the scale at 217. I've been here only for less than a week now and I am down about 3 pounds. It's encouraging but it's just begun. My goal is to get back down to about 180 or lower. But I'll be totally honest here, my hormones are not playing on my side. I have hypothyroidism and I've always been inclined to gain weight very quickly. So any support people can give i'll be extremely grateful and appreciative. Best of luck to each one of you on this journey too!! Have a great day!

Replies

• LadyJ1975
    LadyJ1975 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I too have hypothyroidism and am type 2 diabetic. Being 40, in a sedentary job, and being a caregiver, can make working out and losing weight seem difficult.
    I just keep reminding myself that I gained the weight over time and will lose the weight over time. I am not able to go to the gym so I walk as often as I can. Set goals that are achievable and focus on your health, not necessarily your weight. Even skinny people can be unhealthy.
    I hope we can continue to build eachother up.
    Lexy
  • mlsironi71
    mlsironi71 Posts: 4 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Hi @LadyJ1975 Lexy- Great! Nice to have someone to commiserate ...I mean to support each other! Ha! :-)
  • JeanBoll
    JeanBoll Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi. I also have hypothyroidism. It's a battle this, I know. I love to exercise, but have some limitations. Love my pool, but it looks like we have to close it. It got chilly this week. On top of this my mom recently passed away and I put on 10 more lbs. Not good! So I am back too. I was just diagnosed with the beginnings of fatty liver, so I am taking things seriously now. Mapping out a diet and timing. Making sure I eat throughout the day. Hope to talk to you all soon.
  • meghann1986
    meghann1986 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I too have hypo active thyroid ( thyroid does not work , I am on 275 strength meds daily and still feel tired, maybe anemic too a little is live to have others in the same situation for support, add me if you wish! And good luck in this wonderful journey to a better life
  • LadyLots2Lose
    LadyLots2Lose Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    G'day all, I also have hypothyroidism (congenital) and have struggled with my weight for almost all of my 37 years. I'm currently nudging up the numbers on the scale and doing my best to get back to where I was before winter. The biggest frustration for me is that everyone else seems to be able to melt away the kilos in double quick time with half the effort while I watch my calories and sweat it out at the gym to little effect.
    Unfortunately, no amount of effort really seems to help unless the medication levels are exactly right. I've managed to get myself into a healthy range for body fat percentage so it IS possible. It's just not as simple as eating less and exercising more.