breastfeeding and losing weight

Options
Having a hard time losing weight while breastfeeding, anyone else having this issue? What are some tips? I currently work out 6 days per week and haven't lost one pound, was thinking of increasing my calorie intake today I was under by 1000 calories.

Replies

• DanceYogaRun
    DanceYogaRun Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Your body is likely going into starvation mode and holding on to every precious calorie it can. Breastfeeding will help the weight come off, but you do need to et enough to continue producing milk.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    Having a hard time losing weight while breastfeeding, anyone else having this issue? What are some tips? I currently work out 6 days per week and haven't lost one pound, was thinking of increasing my calorie intake today I was under by 1000 calories.

Firstly, I always give this link to bf mums as I think it's a good resource: http://kellymom.com/nutrition/mothers-diet/mom-weightloss/

Secondly, weight loss works the same when breastfeeding as any other time, you just need to be careful to factor in extra calories for milk production. Some people find that they 'hang onto' weight while breastfeeding, but this is most likely due to increased hunger from producing milk causing increased eating.

So, the standard mfp questions apply: what is your height/weight? Your calorie goal? How do you measure your calories consumed/expended? How long have you been tracking calories?
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Yes you must eat enough! Especially while breastfeeding!
  • cmoni2
    cmoni2 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You might want to eat more beans, vegetables and whole grains while nursing. Also, you might want to consider nursing your baby exclusively and delaying other foods until later. I obtained a lot of tips and advice from La Leche League which I found very helpful.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options

I pull off the nipple after 15 minutes or so. Seems to work for me
  • Venus_Red
    Venus_Red Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode doesn't exist.
    You can successfully lose weight while bf but you definitely do need to maintain a good caloric intake, especially if you are exercising that much.
    It's no ones business on this forum if you introduce other foods to your child while bf.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    Options
    cmoni2 wrote: »
    Also, you might want to consider nursing your baby exclusively and delaying other foods until later. I obtained a lot of tips and advice from La Leche League which I found very helpful.

What has that got to do with anything? The op was not asking for advice about breastfeeding, and this isn't an appropriate venue to provide it.
  • cmoni2
    Options
    "La Leche League" is an organization dedicated to promoting breastfeeding. Visit www.llli.org and www.lllusa.org
  • Venus_Red
    Venus_Red Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    "La Leche League" is an organization dedicated to promoting breastfeeding. Visit www.llli.org and www.lllusa.org

We know that. It isn't appropriate to the conversation. OP asked about her weight loss. Not for your opinion on feeding her child.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    Options

And?
  • cmoni2
    Options
    And, the more you nurse, the more weight you lose!
  • ShandaLeaS
    ShandaLeaS Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    And, the more you nurse, the more weight you lose!

I breastfed for 3 years, 1.5 exclusively with no other foods, yet I gained all my weight in those years......
  • Labyrinthine93
    Labyrinthine93 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Diet can affect supply. I would first find out what your maintenance is, then go from there.