Soo many diets out there

Options
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone could give me some help. As you all know there are soo many diets out on the market from shakes to soups to low carb to even baby food :s don't eat this and don't eat that but make sure you eat this gross superfood every day.Ive tried all the diets and failed miserably, ending in a mighty binge :'( but its my own fault as I know I cant do them. Its completely messed with my head that everytime I eat anything im feeling guilty or then deprived. So im going to do it properly the MFP way. I love my carbs so cutting them out isn't an option, for breakfast at least. And I try to bring lunch into work, either a sandwich or baked potatoe. I'm not really keen on fruit but will eat veg at home as reheating at work for lunch sucks!

Does anyone have any ideas for great packed lunch ideas and how not to beat myself up everytime I open my mouth!! I have 50lb to lose. thanks

Replies

• Artemiris
    Artemiris Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Use a scale, weight everything, eat whatever you like (ok, not only sweets maybe) and count the calories.

As for your question: during the University I always brought my lunch with me. I prepared it the day before and put it in a box. You could use a bento and put whatever you like (rice, pasta, vegetables, fish, meat...). You can also bring a fruit, yoghurt, nuts.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I have a jacket potato everyday with cheese. Easy to weigh to get an accurate calorie count, and pretty filling. But you can eat anything you want as long as it's in your calories.
  • Frankilou25
    Frankilou25 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    thanks! so having potato or pasta at lunch isn't going to destroy my diet as long as its in my calorie allowance? I have it in my head that carbs are sooooo bad :(
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    thanks! so having potato or pasta at lunch isn't going to destroy my diet as long as its in my calorie allowance? I have it in my head that carbs are sooooo bad :(

Nothing will destroy your diet if it's in your calorie allowance.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    lost 70 using the 'eat less move more diet'

eat whatever you want, just less of it. learn how to weigh your food properly.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    You just need to improve your knowledge and get the basics right. All weight loss occurs because you are at deficit. Eat what you like, just less of it so you are at deficit. Its that simple.

You will probably want to learn a bit about nutrition as well, but for weight loss its all about the deficit.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • Frankilou25
    Options
    thank you all :)
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    No need to cut carbs unless you have a medical reason for it. I'm a total carbaholic. Love them. Can't get enough of them.

The most valuable thing I have learned on this journey is that weight loss doesn't have to involve huge complicated meals that take hours to cook. With the right preparation, you can go from walking in the door in the evening to sitting down to dinner in as little as ten minutes. Batch-cooking is a wonderful way of doing it (and quite vital to avoiding lasagne overdoses), keeping frozen pre-portioned ingredients is another great idea (roast chicken ftw!). Noodles are an awesome base and you can stir basically anything through them!

And a food scale is your ultimate friend.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,947 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Happily you can scrap all those diets.

All you need to do is to consume fewer calories than you're burning. As easy as that. :)
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Don't "diet". Diets are deprivation. Change your lifestyle permanently. Make a plan you can live with. Set small realistic goals. You didn't gain the weight quickly and you won't lose the weight quickly.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Do it the MFP way and you'll lose weight and keep it off :)
    I've learnt SO much since becoming a MFP member and my mind-set and body have never been healthier.

There are fads out there, all over the place - because these big businesses realise that they can make a lot of money promising lies to vulnerable people that want to make changes. The more you stick to MFP, the easier you'll spot a fad from miles off. Wishing you the very best of luck.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I agree. Instead of focusing on a particular diet to follow, focus on getting good at weighing food and counting calories.

As far as carbs I also agree that there's no reason to cut them out, but just keep in mind that getting enough healthy protein and fiber is great for keeping you feeling full. If you find that you're getting hungry frequently you may want to increase either of those a bit. :)
  • Frankilou25
    Options
    ha ha ha lasagne overdoses, thought it was only me :D thanks guys, all messages have been REALLY appreciated!. I just needed to hear it from people that are doing it and succeeding. Think I need to stop reading these silly magazines and start enjoying my food x
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    You don't like raw veggies at all? I don't usually eat them for lunch either. Sometimes I bring carrots or sugar snap peas in to work for a snack. As far as reheating, it doesn't take much time to nuke most veggies from raw. Just put some water in the vessel, and cover it with saran wrap. I usually put a little salt in too.

My lunches usually consist of a ham sandwich, and something else. So, maybe barbecue chips, or Cheez Its, or tapioca pudding. My sandwiches are minimalist, but that is my preference, not a dieting choice.

When I get tired of that, I just make something for dinner that is easily toted in a microwave bowl (or tasty cold). So gumbo, lasagna, home made mac & cheese, grilled chicken or steak, chicken wings (I actually really like cold chicken wings). Some times I buy a rotisserie chicken and just portion it out for lunch over the week, really cost effective, and tasty.

My suggestion is just to eat exactly what you like, just at more moderate portions. :)

As well, when you eat out, either plan to take home half of your entree, or order something lower in calories. So, for example, instead of sausage (or brisket, or ribs), I'd order a smoked half chicken at a barbecue joint. Both are tasty, but I can eat more chicken for the same number of calories, and can still fit in a side of new potatoes, or whatever.

If Garfield taught me anything, it's that you can never have too much lasagna. ;)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,947 Member
    Options
    ha ha ha lasagne overdoses, thought it was only me :D thanks guys, all messages have been REALLY appreciated!. I just needed to hear it from people that are doing it and succeeding. Think I need to stop reading these silly magazines and start enjoying my food x

Put down the magazines and go for a walk. :grin:

• mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever you want as long as it's within your calorie allowance. Thats all.