Discouraged after first yoga class

lorrpb
lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
I was so looking forward to trying yoga and my fitness studio us offering free classes this week. I was actually able to do most of the poses ok, but I could not tolerate being on my knees for the first 30 min straight. I had 3 mats and the pressure on my knees was too painful. This is a chronic prob of mine not an injury. I couldn't sit on all 4s on my bed for that long with pressure on my knees.

Has anyone else experienced this? Do yoga veterans have any suggestions aside from trying different pads? Thx.

I was really hoping to be able to do this.

PS. I do strength training 2-3x week, walk 8-10,000 steps per day, and stretch 1-2 times per day.

Replies

• cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    That's awful. See if they have other teachers offering classes. Or see if you can do yours standing, if that's possible for the poses or whatever she was having you do.

I have to modify how bent my knees are in some asanas, drop my arms after a while if a pose is held a long time, avoid regular 'pushups', AND hold my own head if we really have to stare up to the sky, lol. I've only had one advanced teacher ever be bothered by me having to modify due to my chronic mechanical issues. He was just an *kitten* overall, though. Bootcamp yoga was what he was going for, I think ;)
  • madammags
    madammags Posts: 97 Member
    A good instructor should be asking at the beginning of the class if anyone has issues and offer alternatives. If they didn't, you should at least go up before your next class and talk to the instructor.
    Almost all yoga poses have several versions, or alternative poses which work the same muscles/chakras/whichever type of thing you are 'tracking'.

I have had plenty of yoga classes (even when I was doing yoga very regularly) where I've had to modify poses, that is completely normal even if you don't have injuries, particularly for beginners.

That said, I don't think I've ever been to a yoga class where we spent 30 mins straight on our knees, what poses were you doing?
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    madammags wrote: »
    A good instructor should be asking at the beginning of the class if anyone has issues and offer alternatives. If they didn't, you should at least go up before your next class and talk to the instructor.
    Almost all yoga poses have several versions, or alternative poses which work the same muscles/chakras/whichever type of thing you are 'tracking'.

I have had plenty of yoga classes (even when I was doing yoga very regularly) where I've had to modify poses, that is completely normal even if you don't have injuries, particularly for beginners.

That said, I don't think I've ever been to a yoga class where we spent 30 mins straight on our knees, what poses were you doing?

Agree with this. I've never had a class where we've spent so much time on your knees. Most poses have multiple modifications - talk to the instructor. Are there props available to use? A blanket, bolster or block may be able to assist depending on the pose and modifications. I've also have trouble kneeling at times due to injury and there are plenty of upper body focused postures which can be modified to you sitting on a bolster or block for example.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    there are different types of yoga. Also, maybe you should get your knees checked out. I was having pain in one knee for a while and it turned out to be some arthritis under one knee cap. Physical therapy has helped immensely.

Also, a good group X instructor should be asking for injuries in the class and offering modifications.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    madammags wrote: »

This ^

Was this a beginner class? Most of the beginner moves are normally standing.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    I hope you will try a different class. Many places offer beginners series or classes. I know many people don't want to pay for extra classes, but many times it's worth the money.
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    What kind of class were you doing? Flow classes won't have you staying in positions long. Was it a yin class where it's based more on stretching? The only time I'm on my knees is at the start doing cat/cow poses before starting in on sun sals
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    It is unusual to be on your knees for 30 minutes in one stretch.
    I think you maybe need to be looking more at a vinyasa flow style of yoga where you are holding postures but also on the move throughout the session.
    I'm biased of course, but look at Ashtanga Yoga and I believe you will not look back.
  • jumpybeans
    jumpybeans Posts: 71 Member
    I just did my first yoga class last night. The instructor asked us newbies if we had any injuries or issues right off the bat. Then, before each new pose, she gave us modifiers. Even if she found we were struggling through some of them, she offered advice on how to alleviate the problem.

Maybe try a different class/instructor?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Lots of issues here to me- no caveate's for injuries/modifications, and staying on the knees for about half the class is unusual and also a concern.

Secondly or I guess thirdly- yoga isn't about "getting" there- it's doing what your body needs for that day in that space at that moment. Don't worry about 'getting a pose' - it's not like running where you're trying to hit a time or a weight you're trying to hit weight or reps.

It's about your body and what it can do right now and what's safe. yoga is not a place to push it.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,148 Member
    I've done yoga on and off for years and have recently gotten back into it. I agree with a previous poster re Vinyasa Flow yoga. You're moving throughout and not holding poses for long periods of time. Also, a different instructor might be a good idea. Mine is great, she asks if there are newbies at each class, there's no pressure to do the advanced versions of poses and she will encourage you to do what you can do and not focus on others. I say look around for other options, yoga is great and if you like it, something you should continue.
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    I have arthritis in my left knee and have to be very careful about being on my knees. I always let the instructor know in advance and most are very good at offering modifications for poses, etc. I do not go to classes where the instructor seems to be clueless, and recently walked out of a class advertised as for beginners and intermediates, where the instructor offered no modifications for the beginners or people with physical limitations like me, and then commented that he thought yoga should be an Olympic sport! Just wasn't a class for me.
  • lorrpb
    Thank you all gor your tips and encouragement! This is a beginning class and was the instructors first class at our small gym (she's new here ). There are no other yoga classes here. We were doing child pose, cat, dog, cobra , snd similar in rotation. Began with one, fid a few times, added the next, did both a few times and so on. I did talk to her afterwards and she next time we will start standing. I'll also her for modifications. Even if I knelt on bed for that long my knees would hurt from the pressure. She said she will help me figure something out. Glad to know it's not usual to be down there for that long so maybe as class progresses it will be less of an issue.
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Keep in mind every teacher is different. Look for a gentle yoga class where the instructor is willing to work with you. Dont write off yoga because of one class.
  • SailorSarah311
    SailorSarah311 Posts: 172 Member
    The benefits of doing yoga can be so rewarding. I agree that a good instructor should be asking the class about their issues of the day. They might be able to modify or lead off with a pose that will help your knees...or whatever is ailing you. I took a yoga class in college for a semester. There was a woman in her 40s that was also taking the course. At the beginning of the term she could barely raise her hand. She had a lot of shoulder issues. By the end of the term she could fully raise her hand with no pain. Although it took her roughly 4 months to accomplish this, she was very thankful that it even happened. That being said, don't expect the miracle to happen in just one class. Give it a few classes. I guarantee you will start to fill better.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited September 2015
    there are as many teachers as there are students. I drive 40 min to teach my classes.

i generally recommend hatha as you learn the poses more and how to do them properly. or a beginners class. I like vinyasa for someone who has already learned the poses. I also generally prefer a yoga studio over a gym, as there is generally more variety

it is always good to advocate for yourself. It is your practice
  • lorrpb
    Today I've had a splitting headache all day which is quite unusual for me. I'll let teacher know tomorrow and will try this a few more times. It usually takes me little while to adjust to new activities. Thanks for all the replies & insight.
  • lorrpb
    Teacher gave me & whole class some variations and alternatives. It went much better tonite.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Teacher gave me & whole class some variations and alternatives. It went much better tonite.

Glad to hear it!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    good
    and if she doesn't think of it and you need a modification, don't be afraid to ask.