eye opener and reality check

Options
Hi guys. I hope this might help someone else who is "stuck" and not losing even though you are eating healthily and logging your foods. I've been stuck for about a year - gained weight even though I log daily, count my calories, food and drink. Even log when I'm "over". I've lost weight before counting calories so know it works - it's science isn't it - it has to? I know how many calories are in almost all foods - if you ask me how many calories in something, I'd be pretty accurate in my reply, I'm knowledgeable about nutrition and eat pretty healthily most of the time. So what's wrong then? why haven't I been losing? The eye opener came the other day, when I decided to re start my health kick. I always log my food for the week and then write my shopping list so I know what to buy etc, and write down the calories I will consume. So when I was preparing lunch I got out the scales (which I haven't done for a while) - sure I'm so used to counting calories I didn't think I needed to anymore - I'm an expert (or so I thought) - Reality check!! - just that one lunch came to 140 more calories than I had allowed for - only small bits - 6 extra on both slices of ham - different brand of bread - 25 calories more per slice, a "dollop" of dressing on my salad that I had forgotten to add to my diary but meant to etc. This gave me the kick up the backside I have needed for a long time. I won't whinge and whine anymore - the truth is what I knew deep down inside all along - I need to weigh and account for EVERYTHING that goes into my mouth if I want to lose weight. If most meals are over by this amount on a daily basis that will soon add up to weight gain over a few months. I hope this might help someone else who is struggling even though they "know" they are being very careful and doing the right thing. I know it's not news, but sometimes we need to see to believe I think.

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Thank you for confessing. When posters come on saying they "know" they're hitting their calorie goal, but "gosh, darn" are still gaining weight or not losing, and the big "meanies" say "Are you sure you're logging correctly"? Since most problems can be found in logging incorrectly, not weighing everything properly, eyeballing, etc. And then the OP insists that it must be something else, and usually gets angry. It's refreshing to see some honesty. Let us know how things go now, and best of luck. B)
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Thank you for confessing. When posters come on saying they "know" they're hitting their calorie goal, but "gosh, darn" are still gaining weight or not losing, and the big "meanies" say "Are you sure you're logging correctly"? Since most problems can be found in logging incorrectly, not weighing everything properly, eyeballing, etc. And then the OP insists that it must be something else, and usually gets angry. It's refreshing to see some honesty. Let us know how things go now, and best of luck. B)

And some self accountability! Way to tell it like it is and be honest with yourself because this weight loss is, after all, for YOU! :smiley:

• lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    my God, that just sounds like a miserable way to live. i'm sorry, worrying about a dollop's and slices ... its something I would not commit to, period.
    different strokes for different folks
  • caranais
    caranais Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    That's how I see it too. I think we can kid ourselves for a while, but when something isn't working we need to look deeper and we usually find the answer. Thank you both for your kind words, I hope I will be posting here with a success story one day. I know if I carry on I will, I am the only one who can make the difference. xx
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Well done, I'm sure you'll be at goal weight in no time :)
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    my God, that just sounds like a miserable way to live. i'm sorry, worrying about a dollop's and slices ... its something I would not commit to, period.

That's right, what one person finds "A miserable way to live" is peace of mind to others.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options

What's miserable about it?

You keep an eye on your bank balance, and tally everything you spend.

Why freak out about keeping an eye on your food intake, especially if you have a goal to lose weight?

Well done, OP, for your honesty! A refreshing post.
  • caranais
    Options
    thanks everyone. Gaining weight, feeling the pain and insecurity that comes with it is a miserable way to live for me. I don't mind investing a couple of minutes a day to weigh my food if that's what it takes to get it off. I just wish I had copped myself on sooner. As you say horses for courses. I'd be interested to hear lemony what have you found that works for you? We are all different, and if we put in the effort deserve to see results xxx
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

and thats why some people on here lose weight and some don't.

because it all adds up....

I'll keep weighing my food and tallying the pounds lost. 70 so far.....
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options

So don't. No one is making you.
  • caranais
    Options

and thats why some people on here lose weight and some don't.

because it all adds up....

I'll keep weighing my food and tallying the pounds lost. 70 so far.....

Congratulations!! kudos to you - This is an inspiration to me
  • TinyTexn59
    TinyTexn59 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this. You made and excellent point! Little things add up and not being diligent makes a difference! I don't find this miserable at all. Knowing what works for each of us and doing it is smart.
  • caranais
    Options
    quote="TinyTexn59;33989773"]Thank you for sharing this. You made and excellent point! Little things add up and not being diligent makes a difference! I don't find this miserable at all. Knowing what works for each of us and doing it is smart.[/quote]

thank you xxx

• Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I shared this the other day, but will again because it gave me an oh crap moment. I had died apricots for breakfast the other day. Package said 6 (40 grams) for 120 calories. I weighed them 71grams for 6. That is almost double the calories. So I am on day 3 of weighing everything.
  • marybeth062
    marybeth062 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this. I found I had a similar problem a couple of weeks ago. I was allowing myself not to log "a bite of this" or "a smidgen of that". My weight was creeping up instead of going down. Now I log everything, good or bad, over or under my calorie limit. My weight is down 2 lb in two weeks. Complete and accurate logging is critical.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I would like to clarify. There are people that don't count calories and don't gain weight---I am not one of them. I just got back from 2 months at the beach without logging,(I live in Italy and we don't have internet access there) and I'm up 5 lbs. I've been on MFP for 3 years and log everyday the rest of the year. However, I'm close to goal, 60 yrs, female, and it doesn't take much to gain. I am active but we all know that's not enough. Kuddos to those who don't need to log. I know I'll have to keep on. It doesn't bother me, it's just something I do. Being honest about it--like the OP--is the very best thing. B)
  • Tinawood40
    Tinawood40 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    You have soooooo inspired me to weigh my food more. Just the other day I had an aha moment when I decided to weigh the cheese I was putting in a quesadilla. I could see it was a lot less than I had been eyeballing previously. Good for you and thanks !!!
  • caranais
    Options
    I shared this the other day, but will again because it gave me an oh crap moment. I had died apricots for breakfast the other day. Package said 6 (40 grams) for 120 calories. I weighed them 71grams for 6. That is almost double the calories. So I am on day 3 of weighing everything.

I feel it. This was my point exactly. We are responsible for ourselves and the only ones that can help ourselves. It's a bit of a shock isn't it. Good luck to you - let's hope by weighing more we'll weigh less xxx
  • caranais
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this. I found I had a similar problem a couple of weeks ago. I was allowing myself not to log "a bite of this" or "a smidgen of that". My weight was creeping up instead of going down. Now I log everything, good or bad, over or under my calorie limit. My weight is down 2 lb in two weeks. Complete and accurate logging is critical.

congratulations xxx
  • caranais
    Options
    I would like to clarify. There are people that don't count calories and don't gain weight---I am not one of them. I just got back from 2 months at the beach without logging,(I live in Italy and we don't have internet access there) and I'm up 5 lbs. I've been on MFP for 3 years and log everyday the rest of the year. However, I'm close to goal, 60 yrs, female, and it doesn't take much to gain. I am active but we all know that's not enough. Kuddos to those who don't need to log. I know I'll have to keep on. It doesn't bother me, it's just something I do. Being honest about it--like the OP--is the very best thing. B)

We sound similar types. Although 2 months at the beach in Italy? I am so envious xxx