Meal Replacement Shakes

Options
Has anyone tried replacing one meal a day with shakes? Whether you bought premade or made your own? I would love any and all opinions! I am thinking about trying to have a shake for dinner every night since I am not really that hungry anyway but always cook meat and potatoes for my fiance and end up eating it! Dinner is my weak spot so I thought maybe this could help me! Thanks :)

Replies

• poejegg
    poejegg Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi Becca, there are some useful (and some less useful) comments here :smile:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247770/meal-replacement-shakes/p1
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I'm usually running around in the morning so I make myself a quick smoothie with spinach, 1/2 banana, unsweetened whey powder and almond/coconut milk. It usually keeps me full to lunch.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    You won't get many favorable responses here because this website is for measuring portions and logging food. Not substituting food.

Measuring & logging gives you information that you will need for maintenance. Substituting a shake (for a meal) doesn't give you any useful information for maintenance......unless the shake route is going to be a lifestyle change for you.

Losing weight is just step 1........often the 2nd step is harder. The second step (keeping the weight off) ....lasts for a lifetime.

If you need a shake (temporarily) until you figure things out.....look for more than just protein. A protein shake is a protein supplement....not a meal.
  • southhamptonmike
    southhamptonmike Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I usually have this for lunch 5 or 6 times a week, which is usually post workout. almond milk, vanilla whey protein powder, cup of spinach and either a half or whole avacado and tbsp of ground flax seed. Keeps me full till dinner.
  • patticansew
    patticansew Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are wonderful! I use Champion Whey protein powder (chocolate brownie) mixed with water and ice in my blender. Sometimes I use 2 tbsp of flavored coffee creamer like mudslide or peppermint. 26 grams of protein per serving and less than 200 calories. I work in a kitchen by myself all day and it keeps me out of the snacking while I cook.
    :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    what's wrong with meat and potatoes and eating those things? i pretty much grill up some kind of meat, poultry, or fish every night and serve with some kind of veg and either potato or some kind of starch or grain...it never hindered my or my wife's weight loss at all...

personally, i love food...a meal replacement shake sounds like hellish punishment to me.

that said, if you decide to go this route, make sure you're actually using a meal replacement shake and not a protein shake...protein shakes are supplements and aren't intended to replace meals as they don't have the calories or other nutrients that would be required to actually replace a meal.