And I'm Back

Options
I hate to track. I'll say it again, I. HATE. TO. TRACK.

But, since not tracking is not working, I need to. This is my 3rd attempt at MyFitnessPal. I always start strong, then after a week or so, lose my motivation, and just kinda stop. I hope to stop this cycle.

Happy Wednesday!

Replies

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Tracking can become frustrating - especially when people around you seem to be eating what they want and not having to 'write it down' and calculate calories. I get it.

But tracking has helped me lose 30 pounds of weight!
    The way I see it, tracking can be frustrating - but being overweight moreso.

You can do this :)
  • ASG_21
    ASG_21 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I once read a quote here from another member that was very interesting and possibly relevant to your situation. :) It basically read, "Staying fat is hard. Becoming fit and healthy is hard. Pick your hard." I think it applies to tracking, too! Being mindful and aware of how much you eat is key to CARING about how much you eat. At least that's how it is for me!
  • DeeDiddyGee
    DeeDiddyGee Posts: 601 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    "Staying fat is hard. Becoming fit and healthy is hard. Pick your hard."

Love this!
  • Tminus70
    Tminus70 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I love the quote!
  • marciaholland77
    marciaholland77 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    "Staying fat is hard. Becoming fit and healthy is hard. Pick your hard."

Love this!

This is a great quote for everyone and so true!!!
  • MissFlawed
    MissFlawed Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I get what you mean. Not only does tracking require time and effort, it also can be a bit shameful around other people.

When I stayed with my mom and her partner for a while, they both got upset at me for cooking my own meals... (They are both very overweight, eating one of those meals probably puts me over my daily goal of calories and fat ._.)

My boyfriend on the other side, is a very carefree person and would roll his eyes if he knew the effort I make to hit my daily macros...

Yeah, tracking sucks, but not getting that six pack would suck even more for me. ;)
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Out of curiosity, why do you hate to track? I think starting there is probably key, because if you really hate it, you're probably going to have trouble sticking to it.

Like, I hate going to the gym. Just cannot ****ing stand it -- it puts the rest of my evening in a time crunch and takes away time I would rather spend with my family. However, I like walking. So I got a Fitbit and focus more now on meeting daily walking goals, usually with my family. After nearly a year of maintaining my weight (about 45 pounds from my goal), I'm having success maintaining a deficit again and am seeing the scale come down.

So, tl;dr: finding something that works for you is the key. And if you can figure out what about tracking you hate, you can modify from there to make it work.
  • Tminus70
    Tminus70 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    @graymarye - it sounds silly, and actually writing it in words makes it sound even more silly, but I hate the time it takes. I know it easier, mainly because I mostly eat the same things over and over, but the initial time I have to put in annoys me. And I get annoyed very easily! HAHA (JK)

My "plan" is to enter everything in the morning to see where I am, and then modify in the evening, after all my meals.

Also, I hardly ever get exercise time in. Then I feel guilty not having any exercise times to track. And that's the silliest of all, because in the end no one really cares but me, and it really affects no one but me.

Or, I just forget, and then, after a few days I just say screw it, and stop. Which is the cycle I want to break!
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Nah, I get that; it took me a long time to stop feelings silly when I taking the time to weigh foods after they're cooked and stuff like that. I eat a lot of the same things too -- and once you get those common entries in, it just gets easy to choose from the "frequent" section. Also: do you use the barcode scanner on the app? That speeds up the process a lot.

I tend to keep my phone on me all the time (our family has a bad habit of reading phones over dinner, which I mixed feelings about) so I'll also work on my log while I'm eating. That said, pre-logging in the morning is a great way to get it over and done with! :)
  • jkybm1
    jkybm1 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    add me always lookin for support pals