Thinking of starting to run

Options
I love to lift weights but I'm recovering from a broken wrist that I needed surgery for. I'm 3 weeks out from surgery and know it will be awhile til I'll be able to lift again. Anybody getting ready to start c25k or recently start running?

Replies

• BamaRunningGirl
    BamaRunningGirl Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I am trying to motivate myself again to get running. I was a couple months ago about 4 weeks into my plan and got real sick. I can't find my motivation this time. Maybe we can start together and motivate each other. Send me a friends request if you'd like!!
  • Koorii
    Koorii Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I am on my second week of c25k. The first couple weeks are hell, because your body is getting used to it, but in my experience it gets easier. And I'm sure everybody has beat this horse to death, but stop thinking about it and just do it!
  • jwallner04
    jwallner04 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I've still got a cast on my arm so I wanna make sure I'm cleared from the Dr first. I've been down for a little over a month now. I can't wait to be able to just do it.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    A progressively scaled in approach like C25K or the Galloway method or make up your own walk-run-walk or run-walk-run plan, sounds like a great alternative to your lifting while you are out of action.

The only concern you or your doctor may have is tripping and falling and how you are likely to protect your setting wrist not to mention the other. I swear I've had my worst fall ever on a flat side walk (right in front of a crowded bus stop lol) when I usually run very steep, rocky, technical mountain trails without incident.

That said every fall I've ever experienced has been due to distraction. Keep your focus, pick up your feet, and you'll be fine. Unlike me. :smiley:
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I ran for about 6 months and successfully completed the C25K program. I then stopped running, got out of shape again, and basically went back to square one within another few months. So when I finally started to get back on track I went out and started C25K again and realized....I hate running. I've always hated running. Not worth it for me.

Now I'm trying to find other ways of exercising and being active that I don't hate. So far I've developed a passion for hiking which has been awesome (though I wish I had more time to do it...)
  • LadyMcClure
    LadyMcClure Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I just started jogging about 2 months ago and I love it. No idea why I haven't been doing this for years. If you're on the fence about it, I say go for it. I thought I hated running and now that I do it about 5 days a week, I can't see why I thought it was so horrible. Just make sure you have a kick *kitten* workout playlist to take with you!
  • SailorSarah311
    SailorSarah311 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I find that running can be the best workout ever. For me, the best feeling is when my chest hurts from inhaling the cold crisp air. I know that my run was a success when that happens. It gives me that high that most runners talk about. All you have to do is start out slow and then work your way to a faster pace. Just remember that you will be out running all those that are still at home on the couch.
  • astrdomitter
    astrdomitter Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I just started again and today will be my third day...
  • mwyvr
    Options
    I hate running. I've always hated running. Not worth it for me.

Now I'm trying to find other ways of exercising and being active that I don't hate. So far I've developed a passion for hiking which has been awesome (though I wish I had more time to do it...)

I always wonder why those who "hate running" post on various "I want to run" threads. Curious.

But here's something for you: maybe try trail running? You might find enjoy that. Or worse, you might become addicted like so many do. I enjoy running trails partly because it opens up much more back country territory to me for day trips. The additional speed makes trips that can't be done easily in a day, possible. You might enjoy that!
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »

I always wonder why those who "hate running" post on various "I want to run" threads. Curious.

But here's something for you: maybe try trail running? You might find enjoy that. Or worse, you might become addicted like so many do. I enjoy running trails partly because it opens up much more back country territory to me for day trips. The additional speed makes trips that can't be done easily in a day, possible. You might enjoy that!

Actually that's not a bad idea. I'll give that a shot!
  • jwallner04
    jwallner04 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I ran for about 6 months and successfully completed the C25K program. I then stopped running, got out of shape again, and basically went back to square one within another few months. So when I finally started to get back on track I went out and started C25K again and realized....I hate running. I've always hated running. Not worth it for me.

Hiking is how I broke my wrist in the first place. I've always loved it. Finding what you enjoy is always key to sticking with it!

• girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,263 Member
    Options

!! I was going to suggest the same thing! I love trail running. And if the hills are too steep, or I'm just not up for the loooong uphill, hiking/power walking is still a great workout. I think you might like this option. For me, this is what running is about.
  • mwyvr
    Options
    jwallner04 wrote: »

Muahahahaha, my cunning plan is working. :smile:

More seriously... I love hiking and yes I have grown to love running too; Combining the two is the bomb. When it gets too steep or technical for my liking, then I walk, no harm done.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options

That's why I joined a drinking group with a bunch of people that have a running problem. They make it so much fun.

• vanbrita
    vanbrita Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I started running about a year ago. I have not been able to build up my speed and run at a 12 to 13 mph pace on a good day; HOWEVER, I love it. I have run about six 5Ks and two Spartan races. The only one I'm competing against is myself and I struggle to remember that sometimes when I see people who are older than me passing me by!