Orange death & ice cream

Options
I just realized that I haven't eaten any KRAFT DINNER (affectionately known as Orange Death by my BFF) for 2 months! it's not like i used to live on it or anything, but I'd have a box at least once every week or two and I haven't had it since I started mfp 2 months ago.

I also haven't bought a tub of ICE CREAM in that long either. I do have a box of Healthy Choice Fudge Bars in the freezer and I've eaten a Dairy Queen blizzard or two but not keeping ice cream in the fridge is a big change for me too.

And I haven't eaten regular PASTA since that fateful day 2 months ago that I looked at the nutritional content. In fact I have 3 boxes still sitting on the counter waiting to go to the food bank.

So, what have you given up or made compromises on that used to be one of your staples? And do you miss it or have you found a way to "tame the beast" so to speak?

Oh, and I haven't been to the movie theatre since my first week here cuz I can't go and NOT have POPCORN! And yes, I do miss that one!

Replies

• PegasusDeb
    PegasusDeb Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    My weakness is Miracle Whip Light. I still use it, but I've started measuring & found I can get by with one tablespoon! That was HUGE for me. As I use MW on EVERYTHING! lol I also don't keep cereal in the house anymore. The serving size is nuts, so I just don't even bother. Right now I would kill for a giant bowl of Frosted Flakes with fresh blueberries! Mmmmmm! lol
  • PegasusDeb
    PegasusDeb Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    My weakness is Miracle Whip Light. I still use it, but I've started measuring & found I can get by with one tablespoon! That was HUGE for me. As I use MW on EVERYTHING! lol I also don't keep cereal in the house anymore. The serving size is nuts, so I just don't even bother. Right now I would kill for a giant bowl of Frosted Flakes with fresh blueberries! Mmmmmm! lol
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    OMG you sound JUST like me, lol.

I don't miss mac and cheese. Okay, I DO, but not that much. Okay, a LOT, but not enough to actually eat it.

I too don't eat much ice cream. Love the new little mini Blizzards!

I replaced my pasta with steamed veggies. I will put my sauce and cheese on the veggies instead. :) I must say, it bothered me for a while, but I don't miss it much anymore.

I ditched the kid's breakfast cereal too. That was a hard one. I literally had like 7 different boxes of sugary stuff in my pantry. I must say, even my 7 year old wouldn't eat them and it really freaked out my hubby. I just couldn't bear the thought of starting my day without it being magically delicious!

You lost me at the popcorn though. I will go all day eating very little so I can eat popcorn at the movies. That is my one and only remaining vice.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Cake - I used to ALWAYS have cake in the house. It was the love of my dessert life. I don't care much about ice cream or anything else dessert-y. I truly love cake (I do eat it on special occasions - like birthdays or weddings). I don't keep it in the house though. I only eat it on those occasions and NEVER take any home with me.

Mt Dew - I was a Dew addict. I could drink up to 4 cans a day of it. I haven't had a can of it in over a year. I don't miss it anymore. I did at first. This was probably my biggest accomplishment food-wise.

Reese's peanut butter cups - I found a skinny cow alternative to them (heavenly crisps bars).
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Reese's peanut butter cups - I found a skinny cow alternative to them (heavenly crisps bars).

I hate you for informing me of these. I MUST go out and find them now, lol.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I gave up most refined carbs. My guilty pleasure is ice cream. I switched that out for frozen yogurt and the weight watchers ice cream bars and cups and budgeted them into my diet.
  • maggiedcs
    maggiedcs Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Oh how many things have I given up over the years. I'm turning 57 in a couple of weeks and every year give up some else yummy for health reasons. When I was 17 I lived on Dairy Queen and weighed like 120 lbs. I also road my bicycle everywhere.

Unfettered eating continued until I hit about 30. Then I gave up pancakes and fast food.
    At 40 I gave up doughnuts and whole milk.
    At 50 I gave up delicious NY steaks, potatoes and cheese.
    At 55 I gave up mayonnaise, pasta and my nightly glass of wine.

This birthday I will have some grilled fish, veges or fruit, perhaps a little brown rice and will like it.

but I tell you, I will NEVER give up butter and they'll have to pry the bacon from my cold dead hand...
  • shonasteele
    shonasteele Posts: 473
    Options
    but I tell you, I will NEVER give up butter and they'll have to pry the bacon from my cold dead hand...

LMAO! :laugh:
  • FruitLoop05317
    Options
    I just realized that I haven't eaten any KRAFT DINNER (affectionately known as Orange Death by my BFF) for 2 months! it's not like i used to live on it or anything, but I'd have a box at least once every week or two and I haven't had it since I started mfp 2 months ago.

I also haven't bought a tub of ICE CREAM in that long either. I do have a box of Healthy Choice Fudge Bars in the freezer and I've eaten a Dairy Queen blizzard or two but not keeping ice cream in the fridge is a big change for me too.

And I haven't eaten regular PASTA since that fateful day 2 months ago that I looked at the nutritional content. In fact I have 3 boxes still sitting on the counter waiting to go to the food bank.

So, what have you given up or made compromises on that used to be one of your staples? And do you miss it or have you found a way to "tame the beast" so to speak?

Oh, and I haven't been to the movie theatre since my first week here cuz I can't go and NOT have POPCORN! And yes, I do miss that one!
    i used to go thru a 12 pack of sodas every couple of days...i still have one when i want...but i have a full case in the fridge(maybe one or two gone) and it has been there a month. i now drink water, water, and o yea did i mention water. and i feel TONS better!!!
  • FruitLoop05317
    Options
    I am a miracle whip addict too and after this jar is gone i am going to try the light type. but i have cut down to about a half tablespoon of reg or sometimes a whole...you should try the 60% less sugar frosted flakes, i tried them and loved them!! think they are great!!!
  • jennro7781
    jennro7781 Posts: 208
    Options
    I gave up Diet Coke on Easter 2010 and though I've had 5 glasses or so since then I really don't like it any more. This is a huge deal because I lived on DC. I drank atleast a 2 liter bottle a day! Now I just drink water. I used to drink a lot of DC and now I drink a lot of water!

I allow myself a kid's size soft serve ice cream about once a week, but just started that as summer hit full force.

I also do not eat anything refined or processed. I miss my pasta and I cannot eat the wheat kind either. :( This is the hardest to resist for me!
  • sculptcha
    sculptcha Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Big slabs o' beef, rare rare rare. I miss it. A lot. Also, soda and ice cream and cake and all that kind of stuff. I sometimes forget the meaning of the word moderation and can't stop myself, so it's best to avoid those things altogether. I miss steak the most though.
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options

I laughed so hard I almost peed myself. Thanks, I needed that.

Great job everyone on giving up the nastiness of what is labeled as FOOD in America. When I started actually looking into what some of the ingredients were in the foods I was eating I thought I would throw up
    Mayo is totally out of my diet. I was a Mayo junky, I am talking a jar a week....the 32 oz jar. I could eat it like ice cream (Ice cream being my single most favorite food ever). I had already cut way back on it before I started MFP but after logging the calories I just let it go altoghether. It is gone and I save myself so many calories now for something with nutritional value.

There is alot of other stuff I have changed as well. I try to eat as natural as possible as I can really feel the benefits of it.

And for anyone wondering, I very rarely eat ice cream. Dairy is a no no for me because it affects my RA but every once in a while I will choose to let my joints hurt for a few days because I feel like I am letting Dairy Queen down somehow...LOL
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options

I hate you for informing me of these. I MUST go out and find them now, lol.

Oh... you won't hate me when you're enjoying one of those bad boys. lol. 110 calories. 8g of sugar. Heaven in a box, I'm telling you. Yum. They have peanut butter and chocolate ones. ;)