Eating Late at Night

Options
Hi guys!!

Does anyone know if eating late at night is REALLY bad for you?? Does it make ANY difference when loosing weight?

I'd also love to hear how you all handle late night cravings? It's the only time of the day I am vulnerable to overeating. I'm sure its the same for a lot of people. Thoughts??

Thank you all x

Replies

• 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Absolutely NOT true. I'm down 60 eating about half my calories within an hour of bed. Meal timing has nothing to do with it. It's whatever works for you to stay within your calorie allotment.

I leave 100-150 left for last minute or during the night snacks. Two cooking and a small glass of milk are a pretty regular 2 AM occurrence for me.
  • shortntall1
    shortntall1 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I save about 400 calories for my nightime snacking. Id fail if I couldnt snack at night.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Meal (or snack) timing doesn't matter. Just save enough calories throughout the day so you can snack and stay in your calorie limit.

BTW, I'd be a very unhappy girl if I couldn't have a bowl of cereal around 8:30 before I go to bed.
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I'm so edgy, I eat in my sleep.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    I preplan and always plan for night snacking. Tea and a chocolate biscuit or two (tim tams!!) is an integral part of my pre-bed ritual
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I work nightshift. I eat EXCLUSIVELY late at night/early morning and I've lost 40 pounds. Myth debunked.

*drops mic*
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Eating at night makes absolutely zero difference to weight loss :)
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Hi guys!!

Does anyone know if eating late at night is REALLY bad for you?? Does it make ANY difference when loosing weight?

I'd also love to hear how you all handle late night cravings? It's the only time of the day I am vulnerable to overeating. I'm sure its the same for a lot of people. Thoughts??

Thank you all x

i have recently had some blood labs come back unfavorably and my dr has suggested a diet for me which is meant for diabetics and heart patients. one of the big things that i need to do to keep my blood levels steady through the night is to eat before bed. so now i am trying to have a healthy snack right before bed, such as a TBSP of peanut butter with a few slices of apple and a graham cracker. as long as it fits within my calorie goal (i make sure to save some calories if i am going to do this) it should be fine.
  • AshuhleeMarie
    AshuhleeMarie Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    nope, I'm a late-night eater because we have so much going on in the day! I have been losing weight so far, so good :)
  • ewhip17
    ewhip17 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I save about 400 calories for my nightime snacking. Id fail if I couldnt snack at night.

I do this exact same thing for the exact same reason. No issues here - 155lbs lost.
  • Sarahsteed92
    Sarahsteed92 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I eat super late as well! Glad I'm not the only one!
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I eat a very late night snack (around 10 or so) with hot tea just before I go to bed. It fits within my calorie and macro goals, and I find it very satisfying. I look forward to it, then go to bed without the endless snacking that used to kill my calorie goal. It actually helps me to stay within my calorie goal so I lose weight.

Right now I eat a protein crepe for my late night snack w/ tea, because I get up very early and do heavy weights 3-4 mornings per week. I really don't feel like eating before the weights so this late night snack leaves me feeling very good in the morning. The crepes are 1/2 scoop protein powder, 1/4 cup oatmeal, 1/2 cup egg whites and enough water to cook like a pancake. I eat one with 1 tablespoon of nut butter. I cook a bunch of these in advance and put in fridge and put in toaster before I eat.
  • CamillaEdwards
    CamillaEdwards Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    guys, thanks for all of your help. It's positive to know that not one person has said that eating late at night is bad for you or hinders your weight loss. I'm pleased because I find it a necessary step to stay within my daily calorie total :)
  • austinsneeze
    austinsneeze Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    defmut3 wrote: »
    I'm so edgy, I eat in my sleep.

word
  • MikeEnRegalia
    MikeEnRegalia Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Night eating helps if it fits in your caloric budget and if it's not such a huge meal that you can't sleep. Dark chocolate is my current favorite, about 50 grams. Of course skipping other meals like breakfast helps with the budget ...
  • Cajunkitty70394
    Cajunkitty70394 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I can all day without the munchies. But when 7:00 comes around I want to eat anything in sight. I need some control over this !
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    As long as it fits in your calorie goal, time of day doesn't matter for weight loss. Now, if you're prone to acid reflux, eating right before you go to bed can cause issues, but it has nothing to do with weight loss, it has to do with your stomach betraying you and attacking your insides.

If your pattern of eating is that you get hungrier at night, readjust your calories for the day. Save some so your biggest meal is dinner and you will be able to snack afterwards if you want. Make sure to portion out your snacks so you don't over do it, but when you eat isn't that important. What I did is have a set breakfast, fit my lunch under a certain goal, and that leaves a majority of my calories for night so I can have dinner with my husband. And, since I'm a night owl, I can still have some kind of snack later. So split things up in a way that works best for you.