how long should I run to burn fat

Options
Hi, I just started working out one month ago. I work out 6 days a week, like 15mins running of incline 7 for a speed 4.8 every time before other resistence exercises.

However, I gained 3lbs after a month, I am wondering, how long should I run so I can start burning fat. For reference, I'm 5"4, 110lb now, I have a small frame. My main goal is to lose the fat around my waist.

Any advices would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Rachel

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Abs are made in the kitchen and exercise is for health and well being. You are already at a healthy weight. You need to start lifting heavy. Running is not going to get you what you want.
  • jbaerbock
    jbaerbock Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Rachel, distance is more important than speed for end results. For example I walk about 4mph and do so for about an hour and burn as many calories as someone running much faster. Walking is easier on the joints besides ;-). I would combine long distance fast walks with ab related muscle building exercises like crunches etc...
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Abs are made in the kitchen and exercise is for health and well being. You are already at a healthy weight. You need to start lifting heavy. Running is not going to get you what you want.

Eat less calories than your burning
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Careful with the advice you give guys. She is 5'4" and 110#. This is not a person who needs to lose weight, even with a small frame.

OP: If you aren't happy with your body composition at this weight you need to start eating at maintenance and look into a heavy lifting programme such as Stronglifts 5x5. Running will not change your body shape to look how you want it to.
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Your frame sounds like "skinny fat" where most of us envy you but you still feel the bulged. Cardio is great to condition your lungs and heart but you want to build your core for your frame change. Strength training will definitely help your posture. Slouching will make any gut look soft. I agree that you need to eat at maintenance to recomp safely.

Also, remember you are beautiful. You don't need to be so hard on yourself.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters.. Your height and weight don't seem to be a problem. You need to lift and build muscle. You have to feed your body to do that. Lots of protein and carbs. Muscle weight is more than fat so you will gain some pounds but you will feel and look amazing. The number on the scale is just one data point and you shouldn't focus on it.
  • gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    Options

There are a lot of ripped lean runners that would disagree with you...
  • queenliz99
    Options
    gdyment wrote: »

Oh I agree if that is the physic you are after. But the OP is at the low end of a healthy weight and desires to lose more. I was addressing that. Exactly why are you picking my post? Do you have anything more constructive then that. I think not.
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    A lot of those runners cross-train, too.
  • gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    Options

Oh I agree if that is the physic you are after. But the OP is at the low end of a healthy weight and desires to lose more. I was addressing that. Exactly why are you picking my post? Do you have anything more constructive then that. I think not.

You specifically said "You need to start lifting heavy. Running is not going to get you what you want." which is completely incorrect for a very large subset of people. It's certainly an option but it's by far not the only one.

She's running for 15 mins at a time for 90 mins a week. If she LIKES running she could triple that time and get results - who knows.

Regardless, the kitchen point stands - can't outrun or outlift a bad diet.
  • queenliz99
    Options

You specifically said "You need to start lifting heavy. Running is not going to get you what you want." which is completely incorrect for a very large subset of people. It's certainly an option but it's by far not the only one.

She's running for 15 mins at a time for 90 mins a week. If she LIKES running she could triple that time and get results - who knows.

Regardless, the kitchen point stands - can't outrun or outlift a bad diet.

Again agree but for her it is not.
  • rachelchingka
    rachelchingka Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions and comments.

I'm slowly trying to do more lifting, but experincing some pain on my shoulders and hip. I found that running incline gives less pressure on my knees and want to be effective at burning fat without over exercising my joints. Sometimes I feel the pain next day without noticing how I injured myself the day before.

Maybe I should rephrase my question. Is 15mins of running daily a good cardio routine for my condition? Thank you!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    OP you're NOT going to burn that much fat if your weight is too low for your frame. It's a fine balance of nutritional content and calories needed, where the body ALLOWS body fat to be lost.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Running on flat terrain nets about .63 calories per mile for every mile ran ... 4.8mph for 15 minutes is 1.2 miles .... so 83 net calories for 15 minutes at that pace on flat terrain. I have to find the study on effect of incline on caloric burn ... but if I remember it was somewhere in the 9-12% slope range to double the burn of flat ground .... so you're netting 150ish or so for your incline run assuming you don't use the rails and maintain a running, not walking, form.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options

I'm slowly trying to do more lifting, but experincing some pain on my shoulders and hip. I found that running incline gives less pressure on my knees and want to be effective at burning fat without over exercising my joints. Sometimes I feel the pain next day without noticing how I injured myself the day before.

Maybe I should rephrase my question. Is 15mins of running daily a good cardio routine for my condition? Thank you!

I find the best way to get lean and have more power or strength is to do compound lifting. The moves target most muscles. You may be experiencing various pain from muscle imbalances. Research (watch YouTube videos) barbell squats, bench press, overhead press, row and deadlift. Or Google StrongLifts 5x5. These compound lifts are the best I've experienced for overall leanness. And I've experienced more power in my tennis.

Google Dr. Kelly Starrett for solving any pain issues as well as preventing injuries.
  • gymth0ttie
    gymth0ttie Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to hear you're doing a 5x5 routine! That's what I started with. Take a month or so and get used to the weight and once you are comfortable you can move up to 10 reps and build endurance. I'm also into powerlifting!
    Feel free to add ☺️ I need tips on foods that keep me full through out the day. I always get stuck on high calorie snacks.
    Also! Feel free to add me on instagram. My name is gymth0ttie as well. I post food and work outs ☺️
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Well... when running at that pace, I burn about 80 calories/mile (I'm 5'10", weigh 165). I'd guess as a more novice runner you'd be close to that rate as well (as you haven't been running as long so you'd strain yourself more, but you aren't moving as much mass when you run).

So, if you want to lose a pound of fat (3500 calories), you'd need to run about 44 miles or so, or about 9 hours worth at that pace. At 15 minutes of running at a time, I'd guess it would take about 36 days to take off a pound.

Generally when I'm in full marathon training mode, I'd lose about a pound/week once I got above the 40 miles/week mark, but I was careful not to eat back my miles.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options

My feeling is that 30 - 45 minutes of running every other day would do more, and would give you the necessary rest days to recover. Maybe alternate your lifting and cardio days so your body has a chance to rest, rebuild, and recover. If you are tempted to try this, make the switch gradually meaning don't go from running 15 minutes one day to 30 or 45 the next.

You don't have to run fast. Running slower (meaning a pace where you could still hold something of a conversation out loud) and longer will aid in building your aerobic capacity and endurance while minimizing the risk of injury.

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options

A good cardio routine for what? It depends on your goals.
    If you want to burn fat, you really aren't going to burn much in 15 minutes of running. You also aren't going to make that much progress in developing anything physically or cardiovascular-wise. 30 minutes minimum is a good starting point 3x a week, then depending on your goals to work from there.

How long have you been running till you first noticed pain on your shoulders and hip? When you first start out, your body will need to get used to the idea of running. Also try and keep your shoulders relaxed as you run. Let your arms hang with elbows bent 90 degrees. Keep everything relaxed and your arms should never cross over your body (think of your arms as pendelums swinging from front to back). You should also try and keep your hips relaxed and run from your glutes. Squeezing the glute muscles together as you run ensures that you engage the glutes and not running from your hips and hamstrings.