Ever diet with broken ribs?

Options
Well, after my morning exercise, I stepped outside yesterday on my way to work, hit an ice patch, flew thru the air and landed on my left rib cage on the edge of a concrete step, avoiding arms, legs & head, slid down my rib cage & landed gently on my butt, the one part of me that could have probably handled the impact without pain...fractured ribs and major soft tissue damage later, here I sit,unable to move, breathe, sleep....I guess on the bright side, pain killers make you nauseous, so maybe my calorie intake will be down, but with this total and complete lack of activity, I am afraid that I will gain weight! Any suggestions? I mean, I managed to keep my weight down thru the holiday season, I can't ruin that NOW!!! Should I cut back on my normal caloric intake, seeing as all I can do is sit in a chair & try to move as little as possble? Any thoughts? Lemme know!!!

Replies

• loki65
    loki65 Posts: 25
    Options
    Well, after my morning exercise, I stepped outside yesterday on my way to work, hit an ice patch, flew thru the air and landed on my left rib cage on the edge of a concrete step, avoiding arms, legs & head, slid down my rib cage & landed gently on my butt, the one part of me that could have probably handled the impact without pain...fractured ribs and major soft tissue damage later, here I sit,unable to move, breathe, sleep....I guess on the bright side, pain killers make you nauseous, so maybe my calorie intake will be down, but with this total and complete lack of activity, I am afraid that I will gain weight! Any suggestions? I mean, I managed to keep my weight down thru the holiday season, I can't ruin that NOW!!! Should I cut back on my normal caloric intake, seeing as all I can do is sit in a chair & try to move as little as possble? Any thoughts? Lemme know!!!
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    MFP sets you up with a calorie deficit to begin with. As long as you stay within your calories you will be fine!
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    ^
    ^
    ^ what she said. If the best you can manage is to MAINTAIN, then do so. Hope you have a speedy recovery, my sympathies and prayers are with you!~!
  • chipper15173
    chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    my goodness, :flowerforyou: here's to you. i hope you feel better soon.
    rest, and eat as though you were sick. not heavy food. filling foods. small meals through out the day.
    can you move your legs while sitting? try lifting your legs while sitting to keep blood flow and get a little movement, just something to keep blood flowing and movement going.
    good luck and hope you feel better soon.
  • _Pepper_
    _Pepper_ Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    All I can add is, "Ouch!" I hope you are feeling better.
  • loki65
    Options
    Okay, I hope that holds true! I will be really bummed out if I put those 4 lost pounds back on!!! And I will be okay. I am really clumsy, so pain isn't exactly a stranger to me, neither are broken bones, unfortunately...
  • amymac
    amymac Posts: 42
    Options
    OMG, broken ribs are one of the most painful injuries ever. I hope you heal quickly.
  • Bride092909
    Options
    I recently (last week) pulled two muscles in my thigh while slipping on a patch of ice.
    My doc said take the first week off and do maintinance calories (so you won't gain weight, but won't lose either).
    The second and third week you can do light to moderate cardio and get back to losing 1/2lb to 1lb a week...by the fourth week you should be able to go back to normal.

hope this helps, tlaking to your doc is best though :) (as everyone is different)
  • loki65
    Options
    Well, now I have gone from broken ribs to a pulmonary embolism. They think I developed a clot from doing the sit and stand only thing...prolonged & sudden inactivity. But on the bright side, I lost 2 pounds in the hospital....:ohwell:
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I appreciate that you're still trying to lose, however right now your body needs all the nutrition it can get to repair itself. Those bones need to rebuild, as do the soft tissues. Those nutrients, and the energy to do the rebuilding come from somewhere. Until your healthy I'd worry less about counting calories and more just eating what you can keep down that is nutritious. A pulmonary embolism is a big deal. Like, a very big deal. I'm guessing they're going to put you on heavy anticoagulants? If you're really worried, I'd ask your doctor.

Hope you feel better soon :frown:
  • loki65
    Options
    I actually wasn't trying to diet. Which was why I was surprised I lost 2 pounds, but the embolism came with some nausea, and I have 2 acutely broken ribs, & I came home from the hospital with a cold, which turned into a chest cold & I have asthma....so I think you get the picture :ohwell:
    I am just trying to look on what ever bright side that I can right now, & 2 pounds lost is all I got!!! This all started January 5th, & they are keeping me out of work for another 2 weeks, so this is getting old fast. And yes major blood thinners, a shot in my stomach & by pill. I know they tell me that I am lucky to be alive, but that doesn't really feel real to me. I never felt like I was on the verge of death! So I guess life should be my bright side, but like I said, that doesn't feel real to me......
    But I will heed your advice. I am not trying to diet diet, but I am trying to keep from eating out of bordom, & I am trying to eat sensibly. And I do miss my 15 minute stretches in the morning, but there ain't much I can do about that right now! So just hanging out. I have read 3 books & knitted 3 pairs of socks...anyone have any suggestions/ideas of things to do when your mobility is limited? Pass it on!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I have read 3 books & knitted 3 pairs of socks...anyone have any suggestions/ideas of things to do when your mobility is limited?

Have somebody pick you up a season of your favourite television show on DVD (you can rent many at Blockbuster if you prefer not to buy). When I'm not well, I could watch a whole season of Grey's anatomy in a matter of days. :embarassed: lol, we're talking 27 hour long episodes here. lol. Knitting is great too, but you might be getting bored of it since you've already done the socks.
  • Winter23
    Winter23 Posts: 142
    Options
    Oh I hope you fell better soon. Do you like to do other crafts? Cross stitching takes time. I'm no good at it, nor do I have the patience for it usually. I think if I were in your situation though I would do it. Puzzles are another good one to keep busy too. And not very expensive.
  • loki65
    Options
    I never thought about the tv show rentals, thats a good one. I like the puzzle one too. Thanks guys!