Trying Again, Trying to Live in the Grey

Options
Hi all. I'm back at this journey although trying a slightly different route. Ten years ago I lost 130 lbs in just over a year but as soon as I hit my goal, I got pregnant (hooray) and gained a lot back (boo). Although it helped me be successful the first time around, I need to find a way for this to not be so black and white, to live in the grey. I was so militant and intense with everything the first time I forgot how to be in the world and have food be my friend. So, here I am. I want to lose 100 lbs but I want to do it in a way that doesn't leave me scared of eating out or being in the world. I need to do this in a way that is life long change and at the same time find a way to celebrate food and cooking and sharing it with people I love cause that's a big part of who I am. Wish me luck?

Replies

• SibylDiane
    SibylDiane Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Good luck!
  • lapierrecyclist
    lapierrecyclist Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Welcome back, galagrrl! Our kids are about the same age (my daughter is about to turn twelve). Weight loss is a journey, and one I've made several times also. Each time I've learned some new tricks that work for me. I'm hopeful that this time will be the charm. For both of us! Good luck!
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Welcome :]

I too am guilty of being militant and intense when it comes to weight loss. A lot of people struggle with finding motivation with willpower, well - I'm the opposite, I simply can't lose it! I too know the struggle when someone suggests eating out and you're searching for excuses because you fear this'll impact your weight loss. It's INCREDIBLY hard to get out of that 'all or nothing' mindset but I've found MFP has gradually helped me ease up ever so slightly. Don't get me wrong, I will always give this 110% (and I think it's great that you do too) - but I have learnt that having a life is also just as important. Ultimately, we are doing this to prolong our life - but what on earth for if we aren't enjoying it?

Food doesn't have to be the enemy but it also doesn't have to be a friend either. I'm slowly seeing it for what it is - fuel. It keeps us satisfied and sustained. It's perfectly fine to enjoy food - but moderation is key. We'll get there.

Wishing you the best of luck!