Am I wrong?

Options
2»

Replies

• acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. Once people started noticing my weight loss, I was constantly asked by co-workers, friends, and family what I was doing to lose weight. No one likes the real answer of "eat less, move more."
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Maybe tell them you're on a doctor's diet and this is what they told you that you can eat. Then eat the cookie.

Seriously, most people won't argue if you say this is something you and your doctor have worked out, even if it's not true. They'll assume there's medical stuff involved, and who knows, they might actually take the advice of 'eat less, move more' a bit more seriously.
  • corinne1977
    corinne1977 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I was maintaining my weight but eating like crazy. They were always amazed at how much food I could put away. My coworkers would ask me what I was doing to be able to eat that much. I would tell them that I had a tapeworm. They thought it was funny and would pick on me about it. So I once I started gaining weight, I just told them that my tapeworm died. I overfed it. It just became the office joke.
  • momoharuno
    momoharuno Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Just going to leave this video here lol your friend made me think of this actor for some reason, probably the "there has to be a gimmick" thing lol it just cracks me up :) I was actually talking to my new gynecologist the other day and she mentioned I looked good, I said yeah I'm down 30+ pounds so far and she asked how, calories in versus calories out I told her and she nodded seriously and said "It's the best equation, Good job keep it up" I'm definitely keeping her lol
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VKs0oEIVOck
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    It's always people who are on a healthy eating plan that come under attack for their food choices! If you were to say to a friend with a plate full of donuts "Oh I see your approach, ALL carbs, right?" - it would be considered rude!

You're fine OP. Ignore them and enjoy :D
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Yeah. Sometimes it can be this way. I probably would have replied something more along the lines of saying, "well, yes, I am watching some of my carbs (like the pasta and bread examples) because I have a hard time limiting portions of certain carbs. But other carbs, especially certain vegetables, I eat a lot of. So, it really depends on the type of carb. We can discuss this more if you want to, but I'm really not doing anything as extreme as Atkins or keto. That just doesn't work for me."

Then, you'll see if they really care to have a more nuanced discussion or not and will just leave you alone.

I've found some people are just nosy, some are just making conversation and some are genuinely interested. I've also found some people are VERY threatened by those that make different choices -- whether it's in food or other things (clothes, money, religion) -- and so they'll always look to put those that think/feel differently down or be dismissive. We have plenty of those types here on MFP too. It comes from a deep insecurity, either about themselves generally or their own choices. Can't do much about these people. I just smile and nod. Then ignore.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    So I've lost about 15 pounds over the last couple of months. This is about the point where people at work start to notice and ask me what I am doing to lose weight. My standard answer is, "It's not rocket science. Eat less; move more." And that's what I do. However, yesterday I was at lunch with colleagues and I didn't eat any bread, ordered a salad with shrimp on it and refused french fries when offered. One co-worker - said, "Oh you're not eating carbs! That's how you're losing weight!" A classic "Ah ha I knew you had a secret!" moment. So I felt obligated to explain. I am actually eating a lot of carbs - all the veggies in my salad are in fact carbohydrates. Which makes most people's head explode. I do avoid refined carbs and white food as I like to call it - bread, pasta, rice, potatoes. Not because I am on Atkins or doing a low carb diet - just because I have a hard time controlling my intake of those foods. I want 3 pieces of bread not one. I want a pound of pasta not a reasonable serving size. I know it's not that food that's evil - it's my self control that's lacking. I have a much easier time controlling my intake when I eat fruits, veggies, chicken, fish etc. And I love all those things - I eat just about anything and can always find something I like - so I don't feel like I am depriving myself when I have spaghetti squash instead of raviolis - I'm really just after the taste of my mother's tomato sauce anyway. But I felt like I was on trial at lunch while trying to enjoy my salad. This woman kept insisting I was "on Atkins" - when I am just "on my own damn way of eating". I have cookies, cake, popcorn - the occasional granola bar - all refined carbs as well - but it's easier for me to have one cookie - than one rigatoni. I'm thinking of just telling people I've got a tapeworm...

You are spot on.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i just tell people i eat less and move more.

which, is totally true. LOL
  • Pandapotato
    Pandapotato Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    *shrug* I actually WOULD consider avoiding breads, potatoes, pasta, rice, etc as a low carb diet. Or low (er) carb diet at least.

That doesn't mean it's your magic trick, but people will treat it like it is one.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    You're not wrong.

Nope - not you! I eat the same way you eat. I restrict some foods only because they are triggers for ME, not because they are inherently bad. However, I eat everything *I* want. In fact, I just polished off a Payday candy bar because I wanted it and it fit into my calories for the day. However, I might turn around and skip half the bun on a sandwich at lunch tomorrow because the bread isn't that great and I don't want to spend the calories on it. Skipping bread at a particular meal is not indicative of any special diet - it just means you are paying attention to what you like and enjoy and what is worth the calories.

Long story short - your co-worker was wrong!
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    It scares me how many people we could easily convince to acquire tapeworms on the black market. Could be a fun forum day.