Winter running gear?

Options
I live in North Dakota and it's about to get really cold here. Can anyone tell me some of the best/warmest running clothes I can get? I have one pair of Nike DriFit pants that are supposed to be for cold weather but they won't cut it in about a month or two and I don't like the fit of most Under Armour ColdGear leggings. Should I layer sweats over jogging pants? Is that too bulky/uncomfortable for running (I've clearly never done it before)? Also, any suggestions on sneakers?

Oh, and please don't be a smarty pants and suggest a gym membership.

Replies

• advisingwench
    advisingwench Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I haven't yet run in winter (so I'll be watching this thread, as I plan to this year) but dressmyrun.com lets you enter random conditions and then suggests the clothes that are appropriate. Perhaps that would help?
  • LadyMcClure
    LadyMcClure Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'm guess I'm hoping more for specific brands/styles that have worked well for other people in extremely cold conditions.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Don't worry too much about the leggings. You will be running which keeps your body temp up somewhat. Wear warm gloves and a fleece headband. Double up in leggings if you need to. My Arcteryx jacket worked pretty well for running. Long shirt under in case you get too warm. Wool socks!
  • gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Good double layer winter running socks and normal runners have never let me down even in -20C

http://ca.shop.runningroom.com/men/socks-1/thermastat-quarter-large.html

Tights or moderately tight thin pants are usually good enough to keep the wind off the skin. Always a touque or head covering with a running scarf and gloves. Tech shirt with either a long sleeve tech shirt overtop or a jacket depending on how much heat you generate.

A good guide is that you should feel COLD when you start - not deathly cold but uncomfortable - then after a mile or so you'll be perfect.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    You want to be a little cold at the beginning of your run, because you will warm up. Staying warm overall is a game of NOT SWEATING (wet=>cold).

I find that running tights with a windblocking neoprene panel in the front of the thighs to cut the wind are the best option for Upper Midwest/Plains winters. I also sometimes wear a pair of regular running shorts over the top--not for modesty, but for an extra layer of fabric over my butt. I have an older pair of the Road Runners Second Wind Tight. I've been very pleased with their durability and warmth. Pearl Izumi also makes a fantastic windblocking sports tight, but I don't think their Winter 15-16 product line is available yet.

For me, it's mostly a game of keeping my toes, hands, and ears warm. I swear by Drymax Winter Socks because I'm mildly allergic to wool (they are synthetic). A lot of people really like SmartWool socks, though. For hands, I *need* thick mittens with chemical handwarmers (HeatMax, HotHands, etc) in them to counteract Reynaud's syndrome. I have a fantastic pair of Salomon gloves that I can wear into the 40s or even upper 30s, but I haven't seen the 15-16 edition of them yet, either, and all the 14-15 ones sold out. (I hope to pick up a second pair this year).

I find that I sweat WAY too much to wear even a thin hat, but a winter running headband that covers my ears works great. I have a couple of the Brooks Infiniti in high-vis colors and they're perfect.

On top, the combination that works for me is a wicking/synthetic short sleeve T-shirt, arm warmers (I cut the toes off a cheap pair of knee socks), and when it is really cold a light running jacket like the Brooks Infiniti. I've tried thicker or fleece-lined or windproof jackets in the past, and I end up sweating too much no matter how cold it is. So that's been an experiment for me. You'll probably have to play around a little, too.

One thing to keep in mind is visibility. Even if you're not running at night, the light will be dimmer and road conditions might not be as good, so you'll want reflective stuff and bright colors, maybe even LED lights, so cars can see you better.

I do end up on the treadmill during the winter sometimes--of course their are whiteout days when the town forbids people to be outside for safety reasons, but also some days I simply have no place to run. The sidewalks have a foot of loose snow, there are snowplow piles blocking every corner that are taller than me, the shoulders of the streets are filled with plow detritus, and the local park turns its trails over to cross-country skiing. So--just be prepared for some schedule shakeups from time to time.

Finally, there will be GREAT deals on winter running stuff from the major online retailers (Running Warehouse, Moosejaw, REI, Backcountry) between Halloween and Thanksgiving. It's a great time to stock up on both leftovers from previous seasons, and the new stock for this year.

FWIW, our winters are snowier, equally windy, and not *quite* as cold as North Dakota.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Look for a moisture wicking base layer, wind/water resistant outer layer, middle layer(s) as needed, hat, gloves, balaclava to cover your face and neck if necessary, winter socks, and. Depending on the surfaces you run on it might be worth shoes with a little more grip once it gets icy and snowy.
  • LadyMcClure
    LadyMcClure Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    You guys are the best. Thanks so much for your help! Time to do some shopping.
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    what about gloves, any good suggestion? especially for people with Reynold's (my hands freeze even at 5-6C )