Looking for UK geeky types

Options
hawkida
hawkida Posts: 2 Member
Hi. I'm hoping to find some friends around these parts who share some of my interests. So, what are those interests? Well, they mostly fall into the geeky category.

I used to go to a lot of science fiction conventions (not the media kind, more the literary kind) but lately that activity has been mostly displaced by doing live action roleplay. I'm a web developer based in London so I'm reasonably well up on social media, web trends and website coding. I like being creative, be it fimo sculpting, writing or painting up Nerf guns - but I'm more likely to start a new project than see one through to the end, unfortunately. I used to read an awful lot, but these days I mostly dip into online content rather than books. Consequently I'm unable to discuss recent literature, but I get quite pedantic and snobbish about good communication skills - whole sentences, no text speak, not using "LOL!" repeatedly. I listen to Radio 4 and podcasts that tend to fall into tech and science categories.

Any takers for friendship based on that little lot?

Replies

• michelleion
    michelleion Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'm a website designer/front end dev from Bournemouth and I work in an office with 2 devs, so obviously know my way around a website. I'm not a major geek, but I do have an inbuilt geekiness in me - more along the lines of video game addict rather than sci-fi nerd, and do get quite snobbish about grammar too ;)
  • seymoor
    seymoor Posts: 2
    Options
    Hey, I live in UK too. I am not sure I can call myself a geeky type, but I am definitely a type who prefers to write using whole sentences and not using LOLs. I listen to the Radio 4 too, but mostly about culture, art or history.
  • SarahLovesCheesecake
    Options
    The web design and no text speak is my geek...Im adding you lol
  • ValerieSW
    ValerieSW Posts: 32
    Options
    Hi!

I'm American but I live in Scotland (near Glasgow). My husband (who is Scottish) and I are both geeks. He's a programmer, I do IT support/training for the NHS. We're both redditors and we also listen to Radio 4. I also own my own polymer clay supplies website. I mostly make jewellery and pens with polymer clay (Kato brand not Fimo). I read voraciously, mostly sci-fi and fantasy but occasionally I'll branch out into horror and crime thrillers if I'm really bored. I'm with you on the text speak, I don't care if it means I have to send 2 messages, I won't use it!

Feel free to add me, eta: and my hubby CraigIW as well.

Valerie
  • Kirstyvox
    Kirstyvox Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm studying Software Engineering at University, I'd consider that to be pretty geeky! I love quite a few science fiction novels, although, mainly stuff that deals with morals/dystopian societies that aren't very different to ours, parallel universes etc. I tried reading something by Stephen R. Donaldson once, I had to give up because it was that bad...

I used to be a grammar nazi, but then I learned to relax a little.
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I don't care if it means I have to send 2 messages, I won't use it!

TWO! :bigsmile:

Sorry, I couldn't resist - you set my grammar-fascist alarm off! :laugh:
  • rosiedoes
    rosiedoes Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I happily identify as a geek.

I don't know binary, but I did spend many years attending sci-fi conventions dressed as a space marine and used to collect X-Men comics. I've been meaning to get back into it, but I'm searching for a good jumping-on point.

I work in the games industry, although I'm not a gamer myself, and I'd say my main geekdom lies in militaria and WWII. I'm here mainly because I want to slim down for my parachute jump with the Band of Brothers cast in August.

Oh - and I'm based in Brighton, along with my even geekier housemate.
  • ValerieSW
    ValerieSW Posts: 32
    Options

Ok, that's being a bit TOO pedantic. Yes, I realise the proper way to write it is 'two' but it's not like I used the 2 in place of 'to' or 'too'. :(
  • CraigIW
    CraigIW Posts: 176
    Options

Ok, that's being a bit TOO pedantic. Yes, I realise the proper way to write it is 'two' but it's not like I used the 2 in place of 'to' or 'too'. :(

Well, if you did would we even be married? :)
  • SarahLovesCheesecake
    Options
    Im adding you lol

oops:flowerforyou:
  • SarahLovesCheesecake
    Options
    a grammar nazi.

like this...
  • SarahLovesCheesecake
    Options
    Finding this thread more interesting than losing weight! Is that bad?
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    London-based, Radio 4 and science fiction loving tech journo geek here. Friend request on the way :flowerforyou:
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options

Awww, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you, I was being humorous! I just found it ironic that you should use the number instead of the word! I wasn't trying to be horrid - honest! :bigsmile: