How many calories should I eat on 'normal' days of 5:2 diet ?

Options
I need to loose 15 kg by November and I was thinking of doing the 5:2 diet however I am confused what 'eating normal' on the other 5 days means as my usual normal eating can consists of 2,000 calories or more per day. I would prefer to have more precise guidelines . On the other 2 days where I am restricted to 500 calories a day I am planning to have low calories shakes or soups like Alizonne/Alevere or Lighterlife.

Replies

• natboosh69
    natboosh69 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    'Normal' days are usually maintenance calories, therefore creating a weekly deficit with fast days. However, I would get out of the mindset of I NEED to lose x amount by x date.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    500 calories on your fast days and TDEE on your up days.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    To find what your TDEE is, go here:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    fbw1959 wrote: »
    I need to loose 15 kg by November and I was thinking of doing the 5:2 diet however I am confused what 'eating normal' on the other 5 days means as my usual normal eating can consists of 2,000 calories or more per day.

Eating "normal" means eating the amount required to maintaina healthy body weight - about 1800 cals a day or less if you're short.
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I do 5:2 with a bit more calorie cycling so I can have some really social eating days on the weekend.

I am 5'3, 147, lightly active, maintenance somewhere around 1800 net cal. I'm not super strict, but this helps keep me under maintenance--I've lost .5-3 lbs. per week doing this.

On my fast days I have lots of coffee, broth and tea to keep me full, plus eat 15 almonds, 1 or 2 string cheese, and some V8 at work, then a small <300 cal. Lean Cuisine or baked egg, etc. for dinner. I'll do a leisurely 1 hr. walk on fast days as well. Sometimes I'll have a spoon of peanut butter at night.

I aim for:
    M: 500
    T: 1000
    W: 1000
    T: 500
    F: 1500
    S: 2500
    S: 2500

HTH. There's a 5:2 group here that is helpful as well.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    You eat at your maintenance calories, I believe.

If you go on to the official 5:2 website, there is a calculator where you can work it all out.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    That rate of weight loss is unrealistic with the 5:2 diet which is designed as a slow, steady and sustainable way to lose weight.

Don't blunder into something without researching and understanding what you are doing. Have you read the book or website?