UK people- Where do I buy Quinoa???

Options
Hiya, I really wana try Quinoa, I suspect Holland and Barret do some for an incredibly high price, but was wondering has anyone found any in supermarkets etc?
Xxx

Replies

• littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Morrisons and Asda I believe. Probably big Tesco stores in the health section too.
  • abigail91
    abigail91 Posts: 2
    Options
    I haven't found any in any supermarkets unfortunately. I think your best bet is to look around little foreign shops that are in England, in there they sell food from their home country...other than that I don't know.
    abi x
  • MontanaB
    MontanaB Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I've got a feeling I've seen it in tesco's.. I'm sure I have!
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Also Amazon.co.uk they sell loads of unusual foods now
  • mizfrankie
    mizfrankie Posts: 100
    Options
    Holland and Barrett has it. Don't buy the box...buy the bag. It is definitely cheaper. I used to work there :)
  • vegout2
    vegout2 Posts: 14
    Options
    Its available in Tesco, Sainsbury, Waitrose and The Co-Op, but from experience and to try it out first can I suggest that you try one of the bags of ready prepared such as Merchant Gourmet Ready to Eat - Red & White Quinoa. It can take a little while to perfect the cooking - I know having had a few disasters in my time, but his is worth paying a little extra for - The Food Doctor always makes one that is ready cooked
  • clahut
    clahut Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I can get it in an average size Sainburys (not the little 'local' ones) fairly easily. It's usually in the area where they have the kinds of 'speciality ethnic foods' I find - rather than just beside the couscous, which was where I expected it

Cheers,
    Clare
  • tinareet
    tinareet Posts: 126
    Options
    thanks alot everyone, of out on the search for quinoa at weekend.xxx
  • mandykasase
    mandykasase Posts: 110
    Options
    most supermarkets now stock it, but Holland and Barrett def has it for 2.99 for 500g bag. It keeps for ever if you stick it in a jar somewere cool and dry. It's around the same price in Tesco and Asda in the health food aisle next to the vegetarian and "free from" range.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    I think they sell it in Waitrose, but it's more expensive than Holland and Barratt. Have you tried it? It tastes rank.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I buy mine in Tesco. I love it, and even my fiance enjoys it! I make a pilaff with shallots and mushrooms. Leftovers freeze and reheat really well.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Tesco's sell it in their Whole Foods ranges. I think you can also get some freeze dried packs that you just add water - a bit like the Cous-Cous ones.
  • pinkgirlzoe
    pinkgirlzoe Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    what is this stuff and what does it do??????
  • diverdi
    diverdi Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I've seen it in most supermarkets, either in the 'whole foods' section or with dried beans/lentils generally wherever you'd find couscous you'll find it
  • vegout2
    vegout2 Posts: 14
    Options
    its a protein rich grain which is oftne substituted for cous cous. Can be totally bland unless you add loads of flavours, but its a great staple food.
  • emmalene1984
    emmalene1984 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have bought it in tesco's, sainsburys, asda and waitrose. it is there, you just gotta look in the right places. try their whole foods section, healthy foods, free from sections etc. its not usually with rice and other grains even though i use it in place of rice and cous cous.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    what is this stuff and what does it do??????
    It's a grain that is also a complete protein. You can use it as a cereal, I add almond milks, and dried cranberries to mine, or instead of rice. here in the US it's pretty inexpensive.

I know they sell it at the Whole Food stores here in the US, perhaps the WF in the UK sell it.