Is snacking before bed good or bad?

Options
Hi All

Sometimes.. well most of the time I get peckish at night, even after having a good dinner. I just want to know what types of food I should or shouldn't snack on at night. I've been told that you shouldn't really eat anything after hours (before you go to bed) but I just can't find myself going to bed with a growing stomach. Any suggestions or explanations?

Replies

• Jonel211
    Jonel211 Posts: 3
    Options
    I snack up to an hour before bedtime, and I am still losing weight. I just keep it under my alotted calories. That seems to work for me!:flowerforyou:
  • Ashalahn_LMT
    Ashalahn_LMT Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I've read in many posts, and follow it myself to some degree, to lay off carb heavy snacks late in the evening. Especially refined sugars, sweets, and such. I grab a small handful of almonds. Maybe 1/2 cup of Greek Yogurt. Chug a bottle of water. Or a protein shake if I am still short on my protein for the day. Just keep it healthy and keep your macros in line.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever you want at night as long as you still have calories left for the day. Last night I had six waffles an hour before bed...YUM!
  • louell33
    louell33 Posts: 85
    Options
    I snack every night, it's counted in my daily allowance - I look forward to my night time snacks!!! It has not stopped me losing weight either!
  • Breeze4ever888
    Breeze4ever888 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I don't feel so guilty now, so I'm just going to raid the fridge. Carrots and cottage cheese sounds good?
  • louell33
    louell33 Posts: 85
    Options
    sounds delish ;0)
  • broadsword7
    broadsword7 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    When I have to snack late, I seek something healthy and something balanced (which is what I do all day long anyway). I don't think you can ever go wrong with three or four toasted unsalted almonds and two or three baby carrots, with a big glass of water. As soon as you feel a tinge of hunger coming on sometime after dinner, I would go ahead and have a healthy snack. Then give your body a chance to react to it. If you have eaten fairly right throughout the day, commensurate with your activity level, it should be enough. In a metaphorical sense, our bodies are "smarter" than we are; they know when they have been sated. And they know when we have been feeding them good quality healthy food, the food they need, in the amount that's needed. Good luck on the journey!