Outdoor Runners - What do you do when it Snows?

Options
ExRelaySprinter
ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
edited September 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Apparently, here in the UK we're going to have the worst Winter in 65 years! :'(
Just wanted to know if fellow outside Runners still run in the Snow.
If so, how do you do it?

Replies

• KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Hope winter is not too harsh for you!
    I run outside all year long. For me, winter is a more enjoyable running experience than in the heat of the summer. (I live just outside Montreal, Quebec)
    How to do it? First, don't stop in the fall. Keep up your running schedule as the seasons change. My thought is that this allows your body to adapt to the changing temperature and not be shocked by cold winter temperatures.
    The next issue is when is it too cold to run outside. Personally, I have run outside in temperatures below -25 Deg C. But, I do not recommend anyone follow my example. My opinion is that running outside for 60-90 minutes at temperatures down to -15 Deg C is safe for most people who take the time to acclimatize during the fall and early winter.
    The next issue would be the snow. If you are primarily a road runner. Invest in trail shoes. These will give extra traction to help you avoid slipping on ice and snow. There are also many different types of grips you can put on street shoes during the winter. I have a set but use them only after freezing rain. My experience is that they clog up with snow and slush quickly and become uncomfortable.
    Last thought, adjust your clothing as the seasons change. You will certainly need to add layers as the temperatures get colder. And, because your heart rate will increase despite the cold. Once you finish running, get inside quickly. When it is really cold out, sweat turns to ice in seconds! Take it from my experience, this is not a pleasant situation.
    Hope this helped and hope you have fun running all year long!
  • KyleB65
    Options
    eljdlebguobf.jpg Just in case there was any question about my running in the cold! ;-)
    A picture from last January. A Saturday morning 10K @ -26 Deg C (A selfie while waiting for a train to go by)
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info @KyleB65!
    Not too sure i'll be able to run in conditions under -26 ;) ....but i've taken your advice onboard.
    I'll definitely look into getting some trail shoes too.
    Thank you! :)
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Sometimes you have to get creative and be flexible about where and when you run. Most of the running paths are not cleared around here in the winter, so I tend to do more running in neighborhoods without a lot of traffic since there isn't usually much room for running on the shoulder of the road. For long runs, I try to meet up with the group at the local running store. The owner there always has a pre-planned course of various distances and he does a very good job of routing it so that the area is safe and as free of ice and snow as possible. It really isn't as difficult as you may think. We had a very cold and snowy winter here last year. I ran almost every day and I think I only resorted to the treadmill a half dozen or so times and that is due to blizzard conditions or extremely icy roads.

ETA: I do not have trail shoes. I run in my regular road shoes. I have debated investing in Yak Trax, but I really have not had the need, so I have not yet bought them.
  • patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    ...as it should have been the hottest summer in the last 30 years :smiley:

I'm concerned as well, not for the temperature, rjust a few degrees below 0, but for the snow

footpaths and roads will be full of melting snow, difficult to walk, impossible to run on!

• patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    @KyleB65
    amazing!
  • Sharon_73
    Sharon_73 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I actually prefer running in winter than summer. In Ottawa it gets very cold and snowy, just like the Layering properly is definitely key and good footwear. For my preference, the Asics 1000 G-TX are the best for winter runs. They are Goretex with extra traction. I also wear smart wool socks. Snow isn't as much as a concern as the ice is I run in my neighbourhood with the Running Room and prefer the road to the sidewalk as it tends to be clearer.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    <<----my profile picture is from a half-marathon a couple of years ago (I think it was around -30C)x7lbozl4v77l.jpg
    ^^ and this was last January!

The trick to winter running is layers (and that can take some experimenting as everyone has different cold tolerance etc) and you don't want to overdress, you should be a little chilly at the beginning of the run.

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    KyleB65 wrote: »
    eljdlebguobf.jpg Just in case there was any question about my running in the cold! ;-)
    A picture from last January. A Saturday morning 10K @ -26 Deg C (A selfie while waiting for a train to go by)

Nice to see I'm not the only crazy one around here!

• hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    If you're lucky enough to have some good snow (i.e., not a wet, slushy mess), running in snowshoes is a blast, and a heck of a good workout! Around here, I generally have to drive into the mountains (luckily only a 45 minute drive) to get in a snow run...the snow in the valley doesn't stay good for very long (but I've got high hopes that the Little Boy will bring presents this year).
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    There's no such things as bad weather only bad clothes and equipment. Get the right stuff and you'll be fine.
  • KyleB65
    Options
    @BrianSharpe - Awesome picture sir! And, crazy is relative! I used to be a sofa, soft drinks, chips & dip kind of guy. That was truly insane!
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    If you have an old pair of sneakers you can make screw shoes! They give you better grip on icy/snowy sidewalks, and it sounds like you're tapdancing when you run.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    Well I am in Canada, and I head out when it is minus 40 and in blizzards,,,, I guess that is why they call us crazy canucks. ha ha
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Cold weather running is fabulous once you figure out your layering needs. I personally need to cover my face with a balm for skin protection and always wear eye protection.
    I use trail running shoes most of the winter season and like another said above the smart wool socks. Probably my craziest moments have been running in freezing rain but if you're careful with foot placement it's a blast.

The only time winter kept me from running last year was in February when the temps in my area of the US were below zero F when just stepping out the door took your breath away.

My recommendation is if you run now just keep on running and add layers as needed. You'll either like winter running or you won't no harm is trying. If not, run inside and get a pair of snowshoes for some good leg workouts in nature.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    KyleB65 wrote: »

Oh heck no!!

I do run in the snow, but not like that!! My limit is 20 deg F, but I prefer 30 or up. I run in a park that keeps part of their running trail plowed. Last winter we were able to run almost all of our runs outside. There were only occasional ones where it was too icy or actively bad weather.

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    As a new runner (4 months now) I am REALLY looking forward to winter running in Minnesota. I love winter and think that running in the snow and cold will be a blast.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    YakTrax?

Dress appropriately. Have a hoodie with some handwarmers? Stuff like that. Dry socks are always good too...
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,263 Member
    Options
    I complain. Where I live, we rarely get snow, so when it does come, everything grinds to a halt. No plows, no salt. I don't have appropriate shoes, and it's hilly. The last time I went for a run when it was frosty, I slipped and got reeeaaally lucky. That took care of my runs on any pavement that isn't wet or dry.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Where I live (Chicago) the biggest challenge is ice on the sidewalks. There are places where they will clear off the path, and I joined a group of winter runners based out of one of the running shoe stores because they will be able to find paths that are reasonably safe. I don't really mind the cold once I'm running (although there are limits), but I've always found ice a real problem.

I wimped out last year, but this year am planning to celebrate the new year with the Siberian Express Trail Run (in central Illinois). Did it once before in a relatively mild year, and it was lots of fun.