my weigh-in tomorrow.

Options
I'm kinda really nervous. Its my first weigh in. I was really active this weekend. I was in the pool a lot, I rode the 4 wheeler for a while, cooked a huge breakfast for my family. but at the same time, i was only watching what I ate about 50% of the weekend. When I go down to visit family in South Georgia we eat out a lot, and salad gets old fast. and thats one of my favorite things to eat. I try and go for healthy foods, I'm normally good in the morning and around lunch, but when it comes to afternoon snacks and dinner, its kinda whatever we find is what we eat and its normally not that healthy. (I usually don't get much of a say as to what we eat. and there isn't much to choose from down there except for fast food.) There is a reason why southern food tastes so good, we don't skimp on the butter, the grease or the sugar. any suggestions about how to stay on track when it comes to amazing country bbq and good southern cookin'?

Replies

• MTtobeHOT
    MTtobeHOT Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have my first weigh-in tomorrow too. I'm not nervous..it will be what it will be, and I'm sort of looking forward to it!! I get to put another entry on this computer journey!! I want to be healthier and lower my cholesterol. I also love to cook and love to eat!!! We are a very social couple, so food (and 'good' beverages!!) is a constant presence and temptation. I've been able to fend off certain things through sheer willpower and asking myself if I 'really need to eat that'. Sometimes I want those comfort foods you described because they taste SO good, or there is some emotional tie to them, like Mom's best recipe, or something from childhood that you can't live without. Deprivation doesn't work....portion control does. Eat what you like, but eat smaller amounts and keep track honestly on your food diary. When you have to write it down...it makes a BIG difference!!! What I've discovered this first week on MFP is that it was surprising what the calorie, protein, carb or fat content was in certain foods...way more than what I would have expected. That allowed me to make an alternative choice of something healthier, or eat much less of that item. I'm true to my food diary...its really the thing that keeps me going. Before I eat something, I remind myself of that old adage I've heard....'nothing tastes as good as being thin feels'...only I say "nothing tastes as good as losing weight feels'. I'm losing weight to be healthier, live longer, and look and feel better, not to be some unrealistic 'thin'. I lost 11 pounds before I started MFP a week ago during a 12 week challenge contest at my jazzercise class. That was my 'boost'...now I want to continue on and a friend suggested MFP. Yeterday I put on a dress for church that I hadn't worn in 3 years. That feeling is enough to keep me going. Not every weight loss day will be perfect. We all fall off at times...just don't stay off...get right back on track and keep going.
    You can do it!!
  • fnm101
    fnm101 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    i know how you feel. when i go home, i often eat a lot worse because my family does, and sometimes it's not fun to be the "squeaky wheel" when it comes to what or where to eat. i also travel a lot, and when i'm out of town it's harder to stay on track. one thing i try to do is take snacks/small meals with me or buy a few when i arrive at my location. i eat these snacks between the bigger meals so that even if i am hungry by dinner time, i'll eat less of the unhealthy food. here are some things that i've found to be quite portable:
    -raw, unsalted almonds
    -hard fruit (i often take a 3lb bag of apples and/or oranges if i will be away for a few days)
    -powdered soy milk
    -oat meal packets
    -canned tuna and/or tuna salad kits (those that come with a few crackers)

i hope that helps!